3v v8 spark plug removal 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 3v v8 spark plug removal
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

hi i was just wondering coz i do all my own serviceing i heard from a friend that these new motors have to be put up to as certin temperature by a computer then have to be changed in less than a minut then re-started for the rest of the plugs. he said if you change them when the engine is cold u have a really high chance of snapping the plugs off in the heads then u have dramas.

anyone have som insight or is he talkin crap and wants me to spend money?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Post subject: Re: 3v v8 spark plug removal
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Can't see it being different from any other alloy head with plugs but let us know if you find out any more cause i wanna do mine soon too. Also when you put your plugs back in maybe you should use a little anti seize... Dunno, just an idea

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Your friend is absolutely correct!
3V plug removal is/can be a nightmare.
How many km's has it done?

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

115,000 kms. i was also wondering if ther was any other threads that explain this or any websites coz i found it a bit odd.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Never heard of changing them when the engine is at a particular temp, but do know theres a good chance of breaking them, especially the higher the mileage on them.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

I changed the missus ones around the same amount of k's with a cold engine. Stuff trying to do that with a hot engine. :shock: I was lucky I didn't break any I was very careful but apparently it is a common problem.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA Falcon & G220 Lane

WA, Australia

Do it while engine is warm not hot to touch, ake your time make sure the other half keeps the cold bevvies flowing if you know what i mean, if it feels wrong 9/10ths it will be back of and have another go, when reinstalling them use a anti sieze on threads will make next go much easier.

got to the eighth plug and then all slack and thought "FFFUUU!" took another stab at it and it was fine which was a relief.

4.0lt Balanced Bottom End, ACL Race Internals, Rspec4 Cam, BPT Swichchip, PH4480, 2.5' Lukey, Scorcher Bodykit, T5 Manual
237RWHP

frd906 wrote:
LOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

The old man 3V has this very problem, but they are syuck in there big time... what can you do to get them out without removing heads?

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

I do remember seeing a proceedure of removing the broken ones without taking the heads off. I think I think I saw it somewhere on Fordforums.com.au

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA Falcon & G220 Lane

WA, Australia

heaps of WD40 and whole lotta time if they are complete but stuck, if snapped then its im affraid heads off and all.

4.0lt Balanced Bottom End, ACL Race Internals, Rspec4 Cam, BPT Swichchip, PH4480, 2.5' Lukey, Scorcher Bodykit, T5 Manual
237RWHP

frd906 wrote:
LOLLOLLOLLOLOLLOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: too many

NSW, Australia

i've replaced plugs on several 3v and haven't broken any (yet). it can take all day on high mileage engines. fill up the spark plug hole with WD40 or a like, loosen them a quarter turn , spray heaps more WD40 and then walk away for 1 hour. keep tightening and loosening plug and if it still tight spray more WD40 and go have a beer. i used a whole can of WD40 on one motor with 210k. its a pain in the bum but can be done if you take your time. if you remove your plugs every 50k or so you will never have a problem .if you are unlucky enough to brake them there is a ford tool to remove them without removing the head, SOME major ford dealers have them. i guess you can purchase them through REPCO or a like. just take you time and it will be ok

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I sent mine to a mechanic to get them done, lazy i know but i payed for it. He only changed one and it took him a hour to get it out, it cost me $95, $25 for the plug and $70 for labour. Goin to have a crack at it myself. I'll try it with WD40, does the engine need to be warm or not?

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

I've gotta do mine at some stage soon. As far as I know the engine should be warm, not hot. It makes sense. What plugs are recommended for the 3v??

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

NSW, Australia

a tip here YOU HAVE TOO DOO THESE PLUGS DEAD COLD AND CRACK THEM AND SPRAY WD40 DOWN THE HOLES....and no you dont have to remove heads to remove broken plugs as ford make a removal tool to get them out .......AND THIRDLY DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE NGK OR BOSCH ONLY USE THE UPDATED PART NUMBER FROM FORD ONLY :!: AS NEW PART NUMBER FIXES THE PROBLEM OF THE CARBON BUILD U... IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT TAKE IT TO FORD DEALR OR A MECHANIC THAT HAS THE REMOVAL TOOL IF A PLUG SNAPS

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4

VIC, Australia

Guys
I've bought the Lisle "Broken Spark Plug Remover suit Ford 3V V8" Lisle 65600 tool and it works a treat. Check it out on Google. Its worth around $100 or so. Its better than the Ford Rotunda fix tool.
I also spoke to the guys at Lisle in Australia and explained that this tool will need to be stocked here in the country and they were very interested in the issues we are all having with this problem.
It may pay you to check this with them and for everyone to voice their interest with it as the more enquiries they recieve on this the better the chance of them stocking the kit accross the country.
When I spoke to them they were very interested concidering I made the point of telling them I had researched this one prior to having them place one on order from the States and they then delivered it through my local Bursons branch here in Mildura.
Now I've used it, it's definatley the best kit to purchase to correct these issues. I would also vote for the new upgraded one piece Motorcraft plug.
On top of this, I very rarely use Champion plugs but these are also a cure for a replacment plug. There is also a great clip to watch on this on their U.S. website under these plugs clearly showing their superior strength and design. http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblo...k-plug-ford-3v/
Hope some of this helps you all out.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next