Fordmods Logo

5.0L Exhaust...CONFUSED ?? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Hmmm... maybe a 2.5inch with one less muffler/resonator will give you the volume you are after?

3" is pretty hardcore - although having said this i can think of at least one stocky 5.0L i know with a 3" cat back and the sounds is... perfect.

agreed, i got a 3 inch system with one huge cat and a custom muffler.
It sounds much better than all the thong clapping twin systems getting around

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

By installing a big cam into a stock exhausted non modified engine,you might get more power or you might also loose some power.A big cam will only change the performance and how the car runs.Especially if you have a standard exhaust.Where is all the extra exhaust gasses going to go???Well XR8UTE is partially correct.By fitting a big cam wont do a great deal of good with a car or engine with the standard exhaust or standard intake.But if you were to fit and upgraded exhaust and then a big cam (i would suggest a slightly milder cam not big) you will gain more power and aggressively change the exhaust note.

But isnt this post about the changing of the exhaust making it sound like a V8???Well if you put a bigger exhaust on with extractors or no extractors and just a 2.5 or 3inch single or dual system,arent you changing the note of the exhaust???If you change the sound of the ehaust you effectively change the note of the exhaust.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

XR8UTE you are full of garbage.You also said that by fitting a big cam to the stock exhausted car it will change the note.Well you will need a very big/wild cam to really notice the difference in note,if you have 2 or 3 letter box mufflers in your standard exhaust.

By then with your fitted big cam would be too big to even run or idle properly and therefore have wasted quiet abit of money which you could have used on other areas of the car.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XR6 Turbo, XR8, Transit

VIC, Australia

KRUPTD - I disagree with you there. A baby cam will change the exhaust note on a stocky exhaust.

I fitted a Crane 2031 to my car years ago, and it made the car sound better (but hey - anything is better than the 'vacuum cleaner sucking up a pair of undies' sound the 5L's make as standard.)

1993 ED XR8 - Poly Green
2006 BF GT - Silhouette Black
2011 FG XR6 Ute - Nitro Blue

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont

NSW, Australia

well i had stock headers/cats and put on dual 2.5in with straight through centre/side mufflers and 2 3in tips and the note was great, then i cut the 3in tips off when i got my new rear bar and it sounded even better!! then i fitted pacemaker extractors and the note at idle dissappeared to almost stock noise levels!!!i don't know why but the pacemaker rep says now the engine is running smoother or some s**t...so thats why its quiet!!but..i also had fitted new tips the same as a TE50 and i'm thinking the inwards curl on the tips made is quieter....going to change to straight out tips and see if its better...if not i'm getting new mufflers

EB Fairmont 5.0L, DC LTD 5.0L, XE Falcon 4.1L, FJ40 5.0L

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Depends on how much money you want to spend... My opinion would be twin 2.5" stainless with an X Balance pipe, and a couple of high quality stainless mufflers. It would be the best sounding system, with no bark.

Just my 2c.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

OK, thanks for that KRUPTD...lol.

I must have just imagined what happened to my car when I fitted a mild little Crane 2030 cam to my bone stock XR8 with no other mods :roll:

My first point was that you don't need a Clevo to have an "old school" sounding V8.

My second point was that the sound originates from inside the engine...all the mufflers and resinators, and pipes in your exhaust are just reflecting the sound that is coming out of the engines exhuast ports. Sure they can massage and manipulate the sound a bit but they cant create something that isn't there.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU XR6

NSW, Australia

Ive seen/heard xr8utes ute... and it is one of the meanest V8's ive heard, lumpy idle, sounds nuts on the dyno.. would make most traffic light worriers think twice..
he's been there done that, and to tell him hes wrong.. you fool..
i totally 100% back up dave on what he saying..

the stock exhausts flow pretty well stock anyway.. and whacking in a cam on a stock exhaust will definately change the note..

if you want a tough sounding 8, crane 2030 or 2031 cam, roller rockers, paccie headers and a single 3inch exhaust sounds AWSOME..

I desperately want to be a road statistic

Post subject: Best exhaust
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:26 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ef xr8

NSW, Australia

If your after a good note,extractors,high flow cats, twin 2.25 pipes mufflers with the x-over pipe with stock or mild mods.If your after the best performance,extractors two cats into a 2.5 single system with one muffler for mild mods and a 3 inch for majour engine mods.

----------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE;EF 5.0 auto ecu with tweecer $600
----------------------------------------------------

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 2008 WQ Fiesta XR4

SA, Australia

I've got a 3" single on mine and love the note. Its a cat back Lukey system, mild steel pipes, mandrel bends, one stainless Lukey ultraflow (straight through, not reverse flow) muffler and a hotdog in the tailpipe.
I've since added Pacemaker extractors and the only difference I can pick with the note is its a bit deeper.
Drone isn't a problem, barely any at all.
Here is a sound recording of the EL. You'll hear it stalled up slightly for a bit, then a few free revs in neutral. http://www.effalcon.com/pics/fairmont.mp3

2008 WQ Fiesta XR4
2007 LS Focus CL

Post subject: Thanks Guys
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

FYI... I went with the 2.25" twin system and a set of Mercury mufflers after quite a few recommendations. VERY happy with the noise, not too loud, but just sweet...pry the best part is how quiet it still is inside, no drone or hum whatsoever, can just pick up a bit of a note at 100 clicks...would recommend this to anyone with a reasonably stocko 5.0L...thanks to all who wrote in, was a big help !!!

Last edited by Windza on Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

Fairmont1998, thanks for the sound file...sounds sweet, I didn't actually see your post before the exhaust was put on, would've made the decision harder pry !! I'll post a sound file of the twin 2.25" as soon as my wife is back...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2