Advance/Retard Problems, TFS Top End Kit 

Page 3 of 5 [ 61 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Advance/Retard Problems, TFS Top End Kit
Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:58 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Is it actually from the engine itself or is it from the A/C or maybe the coil or Hi-6 unit?

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
Is it actually from the engine itself or is it from the A/C or maybe the coil or Hi-6 unit?

It soumds like its coming from the engine, its quite a metallic hollow squeal, if that makes sense. Did the youtube link work? The noise is very audible.

The oil is just over the full line, and the rocker breather isnt connected to the TB. Could it be this or the pcv valve creating too much crank case pressure?

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

EBXR8380 wrote:
Keep in mind there's a fare amount of vacuum in your plenum,
inlet runners..
Not that it's the correct way of setting it up..
What happens if you turn idle screw up so ISC
doesn't close throttle on turn off ???
On my Cobra T/B blade it had a small 6/ 8mm hole
in the blade...
It made a scchhhaa for a second when shutting down..
If the blade closes completly ??
I assume it would extend the
suction noise ??

Will have a look at the TB blade. It's off an AU220 so I didn't think the hole size could have any connection?

It makes a very audible hisssss for about 10-20 seconds. and has started making that scream too.

So I'm going to pull the upper AGAIN and redo all the vac fittings etc.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Ah, 70mm Tickford doesn't make the whistling because the ISC air comes in on an angle and the BBK ISC comes in at 90*.

I think you will find it's what was said above. Vacuum in the manifold, more than likely drawing air past the closed throttle blade. My car would do it and another car I know of with the TFS top end kit does it.

Before you go pulling the intake again, screw the idle screw in so the blade is a fair bit more open, then shut the car off. Hopefully it doesn't make the noise.

If you're going to go down the Moates path, I wouldn't recommend drilling any holes in the throttlebody blade.

If you're going to be reading a lot of the stuff on eectuning.org, I'd recommend downloading Binary Editor off eecanalyzer.net, as well as the 2DCA read only file on the same site. This way you can actually look at what is being discussed.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:42 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
EBXR8380 wrote:
Keep in mind there's a fare amount of vacuum in your plenum,
inlet runners..
Not that it's the correct way of setting it up..
What happens if you turn idle screw up so ISC
doesn't close throttle on turn off ???
On my Cobra T/B blade it had a small 6/ 8mm hole
in the blade...
It made a scchhhaa for a second when shutting down..
If the blade closes completly ??
I assume it would extend the
suction noise ??

Will have a look at the TB blade. It's off an AU220 so I didn't think the hole size could have any connection?

Before you do that, why don't you get someone to crack the blade open immediately on shut off and see if the noise stops?
It makes a very audible hisssss for about 10-20 seconds. and has started making that scream too.

So I'm going to pull the upper AGAIN and redo all the vac fittings etc.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Scaffy wrote:
Ah, 70mm Tickford doesn't make the whistling because the ISC air comes in on an angle and the BBK ISC comes in at 90*.

I think you will find it's what was said above. Vacuum in the manifold, more than likely drawing air past the closed throttle blade. My car would do it and another car I know of with the TFS top end kit does it.

Before you go pulling the intake again, screw the idle screw in so the blade is a fair bit more open, then shut the car off. Hopefully it doesn't make the noise.

If you're going to go down the Moates path, I wouldn't recommend drilling any holes in the throttlebody blade.

If you're going to be reading a lot of the stuff on eectuning.org, I'd recommend downloading Binary Editor off eecanalyzer.net, as well as the 2DCA read only file on the same site. This way you can actually look at what is being discussed.

I definitely know it's manifold vacuum.....escaping out those giant leaks again. I'm seriously p****d now. Removed the two middle bolts and the end nuts, re-torqued them again, end nuts tighten down perfectly, the two middle bolts didn't get anywhere near 20ftlbs and spun loose again, so I took the whole manifold off and sure enough, the gasket was soaking wet in the middle again, and the two middle bolt holes were stripped of their threads at the top....the metal from the thread is still wrapped around the bolts....

I triple checked and there are NO obstructions to stop the intake from tightening down, torque wrench was clearly set at 20ftlbs (Powerbuilt wrench) and operated correctly. All tightened in correct sequence outlined in the TFS instructions.

Have I been sent faulty manifolds? I'm heading back out now to check if the mating surfaces of the upper/lower are properly flat and even.

I haven't felt this angry in a very long time.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Wouldn't be the first quality problem I've seen with TFS stuff.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XR9UTE wrote:
Wouldn't be the first quality problem I've seen with TFS stuff.

.....thanks Pete :| What else have you discovered with TFS gear?

Email has been sent to TFS. I'm not happy at all. It's as if the threads were too soft, or not threaded properly from the factory.

I tightened all the bolts to finger tight, but the two centres would literally just spin once any kind of torque was applied.

I originally thought it was my fault, that I had some kind of obstruction that held the upper from going down, but no. There was nothing in the way.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Mainly intake faces incorrectly machined(wrong angle and/or not parallel). When the owners discussed this with them they tried to say it was the head face that was wrong. No more response was received after they were informed the heads were also made by them.
From memory it was 4 out 5 intakes with this problem and the 5th had a problem with the fuel rails not fitting.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

That really sucks mate, I feel your pain. It seems to be a sad fact that virtually any aftermarket part needs some remachining in order to be useable.

Run a straight edge over the manifold faces, and it sounds like you may need to put in some helicoils.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Damn, that sucks man. As Dave said, straight edge sounds like the go. I wonder if that's where my noise was coming from as well, then?

Hopefully you get it sorted and can start enjoying it soon!

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well, edges seemed to be straight, its as if the threads were too soft or something. I got some longer bolts, cut to suit for the third time, didnt torque them, instead tightened until I could just feel them firm up and the noise went away. It feels lije if I tighten them any more it will just happen again.

Pretty sure its still leaking though, running like poo.

I emailed tfs and all they had to say was heli coil, or return to summit for warranty. Fat lot of good that will be, would cost me more than a new intake just to send it back. So looks like i'll just be forking out for heli coils. Thier customer service was pretty average, the guy would use four words to reply to me.

I was thinking about the new Edelbrock rpm II in Black, but for $us800 plus freight, I think the heli coils are a better option lol.

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:06 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

That is the response I would have predicted. Do you notice also that when you email yanks IN PLAIN ENGLISH, they don't understand!? If you ask multiple questions you can forget about them answering them in turn or at all!? They usually answer one and forget the rest!? I'm onto my 3rd trans guy from there and I'm now going to give him a miss because after 43 emails with my address on them(yes that's 40 more than required) he now notices I'm from Australia!?! f**k dumb C***!

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Oh yes, I totally know what you are saying. the yanks sure are a very different breed, they ignore questions, misread questions, give half assed responses (if at all), and generally assume you don't know s**t. Oh and did I mention they just don't seem to care at all? But I think I'm preaching to the choir :lol:

I've dealt with quite a few US sellers, car parts and other stuff, and they all just seem the same. Very unhelpful.

This guy from TFS couldn't give any less of a s**t if he tried. I'm just thinking of what to reply to him. Wondering If I can milk a Heli coil kit and a gasket out of them...... Yeah right.

43 emails, you must have some serious patience/endurance to put up with that and I bet he still didn't know where Australia was. I've done a round trip of the US twice now, and each time most people think I'm British, then I say no I'm from NZ, they think it's either A) Middle Earth and/or B) somewhere in Oz, which they still barely know where that is.

Hopefully you get your trans sorted!

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I know it's costly, but when I was having problems after my kit was installed first, I called them a few times. The guy I first spoke to was really helpful and the next couple of times I called their tech line, I asked for him and they put me through to him, so it wasn't like I was starting from scratch again each time I called.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next