Fordmods Logo

AFR 165cc (#1472) Heads install tips 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: AFR 165cc (#1472) Heads install tips
Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

notes when installing AFR 165 heads.. pn #1472 (ie pedestal rocker heads)

you do not need 1/2 to 7/16" downsizers. the 1472 heads should already have 7/16 holes only

you do need-

different spark plugs. i bought NGK BKR6E (ngk equiv of the autolite plug recomended by afr)

accessory bolt downsizer insert x 2. i had two in the box. you need four. two each head- technically you only need two for the sake of bolting accessorys on at the front, but those holes are part of the EGR air circuit
and the holes at the back of each head need to be plugged. available from ford, but 5/8"(-11) thread 1" bolts from bunnings will do the trick too.
they dont have to be in tight(i did them up finger tight with pipe cement)

3/8" thread tap for exhaust bolt holes. the threads in there from stock are absolute s**t. retap as far as the crappy thread goes in, which isnt all that far(reason for this is the reshaped water jackets to accomodate bigger port) the hole goes in a bit deeper than the thread but i guess the idea is to stop epople from screwing high tensile alloy bolts thru the aluminium into said water jacket.

3/4" long exhaust bolts. (or 1/4" worth of washers each bolt i guess) i just ground down my 1" ones, but you can buy nice flashy new ones from ARP
that are the correct length.

yella terra sell 1:1.6 and 1:1.72 ratio 'stealth' roller rockers for these heads, but although all information you find on these heads
will tell you that they are compatible with anything that bolts to the stock heads, yella terra has a specific part number for edelbrock
and afr pedestal heads. pn #2020 for the 1.6s i beleive. the rockers that bolt to stock heads may likely be compatible anyway but im unsure
of what hte differences may be.

thicker gaskets for the rocker covers, if you're using adjustable yella terra rockers. i bought the felpro cork thick ones. (motor hasnt started yet so i cant guarantee they may not still touch)

do not port match your intake to a gasket. the intake ports on these heads are slightly offset when compared to the gasket. portmatch your intake to the heads themselves.

with this combo (with stock lifters, comp 35-351-8 cam) i was able to use stock pushrods

mods: wanna make this sticky or a tech article? -and edit out this line :)

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Awesome work Clampy.
I should do a similar article for fitting Sportsman Heads.
I need to get off my but and do it some time soon.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]