Fordmods Logo

aftermarket alloy heads 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: aftermarket alloy heads
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Has anyone had any experience with aftermarket alloy heads for cleveland engines? anyone got Pro's & Con's, especially with a stroker setup?

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Theres a couple of blokes running CHI-headed Cleveland strokers on fordforums.com.au, in the Cleveland section (of course)

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:45 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Anyone that builds a serious clevo goes the aluminium. They are lighter have less hot spots and better heat dispersion and there are heaps available that will give you just as good a result as 4V's. CFord Motorsport have a few on their website like C302 and C302B (as used by ben gatt) which are high port gems but require custom exhaust. and yella terra and a host of others. Edelbrock do one that takes large valves avail. bare at rocketind. You will have less detonation problems with alloys if you are running high comp but personal choice, can you justify the cost.

Here's an example take a look here.
http://www.pavtek.com.au/pp_3vheads.html

The flow at their nominated lift is a bit unrealistic for a streeter but there is a flow chart at the bottom of page about 500 thou is a good all round lift that wont be too much drama on a good valve train.

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it comes down to cost. if you just want a warm streeter use stock iron 2V heads.

if you are thinking of spending alot on porting don't and get some alloy heads
most of them have better flow out of the box. and like has been said they fix alot of the problems the stock iron heads

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

is there any disadvantage in the long run about using two different metals? iron block and alloy heads would have different heat rates and that. if your not really building then engine for power, but more a nice long lasting cruiser, would a safer bet be to stay with the iron heads?

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
is there any disadvantage in the long run about using two different metals? iron block and alloy heads would have different heat rates and that. if your not really building then engine for power, but more a nice long lasting cruiser, would a safer bet be to stay with the iron heads?

remember what your 6cyl engine and head are made from

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

BINGO! My point exactly (now I'm not saying that this is due to the iron block and alloy head as I don't know the actual reasoning), but how many people with I6's blow headgaskets pretty bad?

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: v6 anniversary accord

NSW, Australia

i gotta ask with a name like jawa are you into formula 500 or speedway altogether????????

'WALKER f**k MY WIFE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS s**t SIGGIE'

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

BINGO! My point exactly (now I'm not saying that this is due to the iron block and alloy head as I don't know the actual reasoning), but how many people with I6's blow headgaskets pretty bad?

Yes there are issues, but in most cases its due to crap cylinder head bolts that loose there elasticity..Even then they did 100.000 before they blew..On high power engines its quite often an issue with heads lifting due to weak head bolts. Thats why all good hi po engines use studs to pull there heads down..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:39 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XD ute, BA XR8

NSW, Australia

I am in the same postion in that I am looking at putting alloy heads on my cleavo one day and still not sure where to get them from, as mentioned there are the CHI heads and the other heads I am looking at are from AFD

http://www.airflowdynamics.com.au/

No subsitute for cubic inches

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

twr7cx wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

the dissimilar metals is only a small part of the head gasket thing with the 6cyls. there are a number of other factors aswell.

personly i dont see the head gasket as a big thing to be concerned over. lets face it by the time they blow most of valves are not sealing properly any more and the ports and valves are covered in carbon build up. having to take the head off is forcing you to fix these problems and give yourslef better fuel economy.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

plus the size of the heads is a problem as well a 4.0L i6 head is massive

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]