Fordmods Logo

Aftermarket cams for a boss 260 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Aftermarket cams for a boss 260
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

ACT, Australia

I apologise if there's a thread (or ten) about this already, I didn't find it (them), so,

I want to get more NA power out of my XR8. It seems that after the common bolt-on mods, the next step is aftermarket cams for a boss engine. However I have a few questions.

Is there anyone here who has put cams in their falcon? If so, what brand? and what has your experience been like?
Are there big quality (or other) differences between brands for cams?

Its more than likely that when I get them, I'll install them myself. If anyone's done that, how hard was it? was it especially hard getting the timing right?

Post subject: Re: Aftermarket cams for a boss 260
Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba turbo taxi

VIC, Australia

Millennium_falconXR8 wrote:
I apologise if there's a thread (or ten) about this already, I didn't find it (them), so,

I want to get more NA power out of my XR8. It seems that after the common bolt-on mods, the next step is aftermarket cams for a boss engine. However I have a few questions.

Is there anyone here who has put cams in their falcon? If so, what brand? and what has your experience been like?

Quote:
yes comp cams customer supplied! waste of cash for those spec cams! disappointing!

Quote:
yes there is but the cam spec is where its at!

Its more than likely that when I get them, I'll install them myself. If anyone's done that, how hard was it? was it especially hard getting the timing right?

if you have to ask that then its not a job for you!
engine out
cams vernier cam sprockets (adv./ret.) and multi keyed cam gears required (lobe centers!)
there are strict procedures that need to be adhered too!

cost-benefit= waste of cash! put it towards 2 turbo's or get a single rear mount off snort!!

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba turbo taxi

VIC, Australia

Millennium_falconXR8 wrote:

Quote:
yes comp cams customer supplied! waste of cash for those spec cams! disappointing!

Quote:
yes there is but the cam spec is where its at!

if you have to ask that then its not a job for you!
engine out
cams vernier cam sprockets (adv./ret.) and multi keyed cam gears required (lobe centers!)
there are strict procedures that need to be adhered too!

cost-benefit= waste of cash! put it towards 2 turbo's or get a single rear mount off snort!!

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

thats right the power gained isnt worth the expence.... IMO save your money & put a blower on it, heaps out there, they work & are getting good resaults...

check my sponcer section as I have picks of our set up on a BAXR8 260 motor

joe

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba xr8 supercharged

WA, Australia

im gonna try put some cams in a mates 260 but i dont recon its worth the hass go the blower'im more than happy with mine

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

hey cickenman how much roughly did ur charger set up cost?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ba xr8 supercharged

WA, Australia

dunno i got mine with the for a song from nuford 8-)
i belive that after talking to capa that its the base 8 psi reverse rotation kit with no cooler last check it was bout 5k
i was originally going to update my el gt to a ba-bf gt and put a blower on it but this came up cheaper with a whole bunch of extras

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Thanks for the advice. However im not quite ready to wrap my car around a tree just yet...

I think that if at some point I want a ridiculous amount of power in my daily driver, ill bolt a supercharger onto it, but at the moment Im stuck in the mindset that thats sort of cheating. Its like the Japanese approach to tuning, where they (not all cases, but a lot) dont bother properly designing their engines for performance and just bolt a turbo onto it to make up for that.

Besides, even though the performance/price of a supercharger is way better, cams are still a lot cheaper. and, to an extent, I'd actually prefer putting in the extra hassle because it'll be that much more satisfying in the end.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Have you considered that you will loose power below around 4500rpm only to make a tiny bit more power in the topend.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

have you done anytin else like the useual bolt ons yet?
if you do wanto chase a bit more power up top and make it jump off the line like a camry coz u will hav no power under 3.5k rpm. you gonna have to upgrade ur oil pump gears unless you want them to snap like little twigs and do a engine swap. as you will be chasing high rpm.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

You have a point. From what I can tell, there's pretty much no performance increase below 3500 (I didn't notice any decrease either). I have all the standard bolt on mods (extractors, twin 2 1/2 exhaust, CAI)... except for an underdrive, now that I think about it. I could get one of those in the mean time.

Im pretty sure the previous owner changed the oil pump gears, but it would be well worth checking, because Im not certain.

Admittedly, the cams idea has lost a lot of its appeal (would still sound good, though).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]