air intake 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

castlegreyskull wrote:
was talking to my mate about this on the weekend, and he suggested to have the elgt snorkel, but then also have a 3" flexi pipe coming fom air box and take it down the bottom of engine bay and stick it out under front bar, or there abouts....

is this a good idea??

just not sure how it would go with having 2 inputs...

I had this, but didn't have the snorkel, just had some airseeder hose plumbed down through the plastic guard at the bottom and into the airflow under the bumper, this created a postive pressure in the airbox more than the stock snorkel did, used a manometer ( tupbe with water in it) to prove the fact.

gone away from it now for a bigger snorkel as the hose perished and it also increased the ingestion of bugs into the airbox, also ended up with some water in there are hitting a rather deep puddle.

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
castlegreyskull wrote:
was talking to my mate about this on the weekend, and he suggested to have the elgt snorkel, but then also have a 3" flexi pipe coming fom air box and take it down the bottom of engine bay and stick it out under front bar, or there abouts....

is this a good idea??

just not sure how it would go with having 2 inputs...

I had this, but didn't have the snorkel, just had some airseeder hose plumbed down through the plastic guard at the bottom and into the airflow under the bumper, this created a postive pressure in the airbox more than the stock snorkel did, used a manometer ( tupbe with water in it) to prove the fact.

gone away from it now for a bigger snorkel as the hose perished and it also increased the ingestion of bugs into the airbox, also ended up with some water in there are hitting a rather deep puddle.

valid point bout the bugs and water.... didnt even click with me about that..

i might just stick with the elgt snorkel i think. saves the bugs, water, and the hose perishing...

cheers people... very goodly,

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Blueprint EB II Fairmont 5L

WA, Australia

a pod filter is only good if you make a seperate enclosure for it keeping the hot air out (similiar to the way the standard air box works....most people just chuck a pod under the bonnet and this is no good as the engine is sucking hot air from under the engine bay instead of cold air from outside..i have a K&N panel filter with an EL intake and i reckon its better than a pod filter...i put an extra inlet goin to the airbox and i knocked off 2 tenths of a second down the 1/4 mile...

Post subject: AU XR8 SNORKLE
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
The AU snorkle won't fit ont the V8's due tot he power steering pulley. You can get around it by heating hte snorkle up and bending it slightly giving it enough clearance. Otherwise the EL GT/XR8 snorkle will fit straight on and flows more than enough for 99% of 5L's out there.

Well the AU XR8 snorkle will go on but not in the standard screw holes!
First place the snorkle on the air box , then twist the snorkle untill it doest hit the power steering pulley then get someone to hold the snorkle in place until you have lined up & marked out new screw holes & then screw the bastard into place.

I know it does fit in as I have seen it on a few E-series V8's & as Rob(yobbo4d) had it on his old v8.
Cost of snorkle $30 from SINCLAIR FORD my local FORD DEALER!

MEMBER 1390

Post subject: Re: AU XR8 SNORKLE
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Ben_Daui wrote:
Well the AU XR8 snorkle will go on but not in the standard screw holes!
First place the snorkle on the air box , then twist the snorkle untill it doest hit the power steering pulley then get someone to hold the snorkle in place until you have lined up & marked out new screw holes & then screw the bastard into place.

Yeah thats an option but you may have problems doing that if you have thermos, they may stop you from rotating the snorkle. I know people get away with it by cutting the thermo shroud to allow a bit more clearance.

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

I fitted an AU3 XR8 Ticky snorkel to my EB (Thermo's and V8). I just needed to make an adapter to reach the rad support, see the attached pic.

Attachments:
snorkel.JPG
snorkel.JPG [ 108.15 KiB | Viewed 244 times ]

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

just a supid question.... i went to auto parts place today to get a pod filter, thinking i would just have to say what car it was and they woud have the filters marked what models they are for. but... they only get marked as a diameter.

so what diameter pod should i be getting, and also is there a plate or something that actually holds the filter into place??

it prob sounds dumb, but i have never done this before, and most of my mates dont mod there cars..

cheers

The Lane Lives.... Finally!!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

A pod filter will probably cost you power unless you do a lot of work modifying the factory box or fabricating a custom one. Just get yourself a decent panel filter and snorkle.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2