Fordmods Logo

Au 3 issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Au 3 issues
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ef xr6

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, just wondering if i could get some help please. I have an AU3 v8 ( not xr8) i turn the key to start all dash lights come on but in start position the brake fail warning light comes on and car wont start anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance guys

Post subject: Re: Au 3 issues
Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Hey there mate, could we get some more details like has the car been worked on lately?

Usually these faults wont just happen for no reason and cause the car to not start.

Have you checked the fuses under the bonnet on the drivers side?
Also under the dash on the drivers side under steering column?
Fluid levels all ok?
Is it a manual/auto?
Is the brake fail light on the dash new, that you have noticed. Do you mean the ABS light that stays on?

Ill have a hunt in my Ford manual when i get some more details.

Cheers Joel

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi joel, thanks for the reply, the only work recently was a brake master cyl change. The not starting and the brake fail light has been hapening for about 18 days. The car is auto i have tried moving thru the gears but to no avail. All fuses have been checked new relays have been put in. The only noise i am getting is a clicking noise from under the dash (gas system) and relays under the bonnet. I was thinking possibly ignition switch. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

The car is auto

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Hey there, thanks for the extra info.

Does the car crank like usual but no fire, or is there no crank at all?

If no crank then maybe yes an ignition barrel issue which may be smartshield related or the trigger wire isnt getting power at the starter motor. Are you able to check if you are getting power to the trigger wire on the starter motor.

If you have a smartshield problem it should still allow the car to crank and fire for 2secs then kill the engine.

The brake light problem is a little suspect though if that is causing the car to not fire at all. If you could get it to fire and run then a trip to your local kmart tyre and auto to get a code scan done to see whats going on in the ECU. They only charge 30 odd bucks for a scan and clear of codes.

Check over the plugs in the engine bay, especially near the master cylinder, and also poke your head under the dash and see if something is adrift there as the mechanic may have been under there fiddling with the pedal rod on install of new cylinder.

It may help just to get the car running so you can get it to the workshop, you will want to disconnect the battery for at least 45mins - 1 Hour and after disconnecting battery turn on the headlight switch and pump brake pedal to help remove residual current in the system to ensure a positive ECU reset.
Be sure to have your radio code handy as that will be reset after the battery is disconnected

An old code may be logged and stopping the car from starting? But as far as i have read in the Ford manual, an ABS/Traction control fault shouldn't stop the car from starting/running/driving/braking normally unless its a catastrophic failure of the ABS unit. Maybe some crap got stuck in the ABS unit when the brakes were bled and has cause that sort of a failure.

Hope you can find some answers, but the ECU reset may help and definantly get a scan done if you can limp it there.

keep us posted on progress.

Cheers Joel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]