Fordmods Logo

AU Fairlane head upgrade 

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: AU Fairlane head upgrade
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey all forum noob here !

Im investigating an upgrade to my AU Fairlane at present. The mods im looking at undertaking are a port and polish of the original gt40p heads, matched to the standard explorer intake, a 2030 crane cam and 44308-1 valvespring kit and 1.6:1 Yella Terra Rollers. At the same time I will be fitting up a set of pacemakers.

Does anyone know if I will have to do any further head modifications to fit this ie to fit the springs?
Also does anyone know if can push the ratio of the rollers a little higher to improve the performance eg a 1.7 or perhaps 1.72 ? or are the 1.6's a good match for the cam profile?
And, is there an intake manifold I could purchase that would suit this set up, improve performance output, and not cane the final budget too much?

EDIT : oh yer and sorry it will be getting a re-map/tune as well. Anyone know if this set up will be good for around 250rwkw's or do i need to do more?

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

anyone bump

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

sounds pretty good mate , from what other guys have said on here the crane springs are not to flash , go comp or crow doubles and have heads machined while youve got them off ....my set up is similar comp cam 1.7 rockers gt40ps ported and plained it made 176rwkw without the edit ... i think you might be pushin it to get past 200.....explorer manifold is good give the bottom mainly a good port especially ports 1&5 as they are considerably longer and tighter bends than the others....approx $1000 for edelbrock etc your call....oh watch out when porting the gt40ps thers a h thermactor hump in the ex port it has a waterjacket inside it so dont grind it right out just smooth it :D

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Any suggestions for increase in fuel pressure like an upgraded regulator or pump and/or throttle body ie 82mm from T3's
and would a larger AFM help too. Not sure what the current AFM diameter is though.

Where can I go to find/browse the stock specs for this vehicle like camshafts, clearance etc so i know what I'm upgrading from?

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Those springs will fit the heads without machining.

I have not had any good luck with those springs, others have run them without dramas. To be fair, I had 25,000kms on those springs before I broke a couple....maybe they just need to be replaced often? I am sure there are better quality springs out there...

Your std fuel system will be fine with those mods. No need to change MAF or TB either.

Keep the stock intake and have the lower ported to match the heads. (intake is much smaller than heads).

Who is doing the porting work for you? Make sure it is not going to cost more than a new set of Edelbrocks, or AFR165's...

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

What about replacing those heads?
Afr 165s portmatched to the intake?
Im hunting 250 rwkw here...

Im not touching the maf, afm, throttle body or any bottom end or driveline componentry.
She will be getting a completely new exhaust system, but other than that, all the power gains are coming from the improved head.
Is 250rwkw possible and will it still be drivable with a tune?

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

That setup will be no-where near 250rwkw. Closer to 200rwkw...

Its far from impossible, but you will need a pretty well setup combo to get 250rwkw in a street n/a 302. Bigger heads for sure like AFR185, lots of duration like 230-240deg, lots of RPM, and lots of compression.

Although what is "big" to one person is not to another. IMO, it would be a little too radical for a daily driver, but OK for a weekend cruiser (bruiser)...

However, increase the displacement to 331 or 347 and it would be a different story.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

xr8ute wrote:
OK for a weekend cruiser (bruiser)...

However, increase the displacement to 331 or 347 and it would be a different story.

hehe i like your train of thought. I know those heads come off and a little strokey stroke might be the order of the day. I just would have thought 250rwkw was a reasonable possibility without stroking her.
So you think larger capacity heads like a 185 or even 200cc to realise this goal? Jesus, what else is going to need to drop into those heads you reckon? If I lump the cam too much i will need a hi stall and im not going to mess with the driveline full stop.
An upgrade on the manifold would be on the cards too as well u think?
I really want the power on early. 5000 rpm+ is just a little vulgar really for a fairlane. People would think it was stolen lol.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

mate if you want torque and you dont want to rev it stroke it would be the answer......depends how much money you want to spend? the 5.0l in it now is probably only puttin out 125rwkw approx you get it up to 180-200 itl be a totally different car :D

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

changinghia wrote:
What about replacing those heads?
Afr 165s portmatched to the intake?
Im hunting 250 rwkw here...

Im not touching the maf, afm, throttle body or any bottom end or driveline componentry.
She will be getting a completely new exhaust system, but other than that, all the power gains are coming from the improved head.
Is 250rwkw possible and will it still be drivable with a tune?

You will not get 250rwKw from a streetable efi 5.0L, period. I get the feeling you are chasing a number, not a well balanced streetable package.

Torque is what makes a car fast on the street, and a big bus like a Fairlane needs all it can to get itself moving. Seeing as you aren't changing the diff ratio or the stall, then the only option is more cubes.

A well put together 347 with alloy heads, sensible cam and the factory intake manifold will get you around 230rwKw, and a big fat flat torque curve from 2000-4800rpm. That's with the factory ECU. If you are prepared to use an aftermarket tuner, then cam choice becomes greater and your 250-260rwKw becomes readily achievable.

Your other option of course is to bang 150hp of gas into it.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

It looks like i will need to compromise.
My plan was to toughen the top then stroke her later.
Seems 250rwkw is unfeasible.

So stuff it then whats the best bang for my buck head I can put on it?
It needs to be able to suit a stroker in the long run.
For the eventual 331ci stroker is there any recommendations for fit and supply?
By that I mean who in Perth has the best reputation for stroking efi windsors?

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Okay. My choice of head will be the GT40 alloy Y303 from Ford Motorsport in the US. Want to source the remaining internal head componentry from OZ if possible.
Anyone got good suggestions for cam, roller rocker setup?
Any successful Y303 setups?

Definitely keeping standard intake. Given up on numerical gain game, just want good torque across the rev range, particularly early on to get the heavy beast moving.

Thanks for the help so far guys, the final image is getting clearer.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Last edited by changinghia on Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

AFR 165 or 185s... Again because of the size of the car and the diff ratio I'd lean towards the 165s.

You'll get the AFRs complete ready to bolt on for around the $2800 mark. There are cheaper heads out there (Edelbrock, TFS etc) which do perform well, but bang for buck its hard to beat fully CNC'd heads for under $3000.

The TFS Twisted Wedge would be my next choice, but the rocker gear can be a problem on EFI Windsors, so budget for the YT Platinum series to solve any clearance issues.

I've not got any experience with the 331 strokers, but I can't see them being a problem, 99% of the ones we've been involved with have been 347s. We've had no issues at all with them.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:46 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

cheers Bottledup.

After making my Y303 decision i found a thread on AFF saying that the GT40P heads and the Y303 heads are virtually identical in the AU range apart from some later inlet porting. I'm confused to buggery now.
AFR's it may have to be, or port the inlets on my stock heads out to 1.94" and forfeit the weight improvement of the alloys.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Even with extensive porting and a fairly large camshaft, it will be tough to make 200kw at the tyres from the iron heads. There simply isn't enough material in them to allow enlargement necessary to support that level of airflow.

Ierace Automotives here in Perth built an EF to demonstrate the maximum potential of the GT40 heads, I do believe that it made approximately 310-320hp @ the tyres, but it is/was NOT a daily drivable combo. Aftermarket ECU, huge solid roller cam, Victor series intake etc.

If this is your first foray into a modified EFI car, then keep things simple and cost effective by utilising what has already been proven, both here and in the US. Naturally we all want something different from the next guy, but the fact you are doing up a Fairlane is unique in itself, so even if you achieve your horsepower goal through someone else's R&D the end result will be cost effective, different and something that will put a smile on your face every time you floor the accelerator.

That's my $0.02 at any rate. :)

TE50 T1 P01

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next