Fordmods Logo

AU Pings on E10 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU Pings on E10
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:46 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

I have had the car for a year now and have always run BP Ultimate, but thought I would give BP 91 E10 a go and see if I notice a difference. No performance difference and same fuel econ but it did start to slightly ping when it shifted at redline from 1st>2nd, and also with foot to the floor in 2nd gear under very high load @ high rpm (4200 - 5300rpm++) it would also ping. Sounds like popcorn popping. I am just after what would cause this considering the car was built to run on this fuel? FYI I filled it up with 95ron yesterday and pinging has dissapeared.

Since I have owned it I have changed coils and leads, cam syncronizor and sensor aligned with tool, new o2 sensors, cleaned MAF and TB and 25,000km old platinum plugs. Have also had codes checked and it's clean. Car runs very well apart from being a tiny bit rough for 5 minutes or so after a warm startup - I put this down to changing the alignment of the CMP without resetting ECU. On my to do list.

Any idea what might be causing it to ping?

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Post subject: Re: AU Pings on E10
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Simple. The pinging is because 91ron fuel is s**t!! I, and no doubt many others on here never use it. The few cents per liter you save at the bowser is not worth screwing your car up for. Every car I've ever had pinged on 91ron.
As you said yourself, you used 95ron - problem disappeared. My advice, use 91 in lawnmowers and chainsaws and keep it out of your car. :)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:26 am 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

my ef loves the e10 fuel thats all i run it on.

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:33 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

my au i6 engine pings on e10 and idles like s**t..
but it is tuned for premium....

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:05 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

My Pursuit ute has started pinging on Bp Ultimate. I've tried it from four different locations and it's always the same. I have informed them of this and so far no response.
I've since switched to Caltex Vortex98....pinging gone and noticeable peformance improvement!

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:50 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AUIII

NSW, Australia

i was offered a computer / ecu update from my local ford dealer if i was running e10. i said i would never do it lol. but if you were thinking of running it long term ask them to flash the ecu for you mate.

MITCHY

AUIII, PACEY 4499's, MAGNIFLOW CAT, 2.5" ZORST, 17X8" AUII XR RIMS....otherwise all factory!

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

What compelled me to run 91 for the first time in my life is the following post by xafalcon in another thread:

xafalcon wrote:
The stock engine system is designed to run 91 RON petrol. Using a higher octane petrol than it needs to acheive optimum spark timing will actually decrease power output as the slower burn rate of higher octane fuels increase the anti-work component (ie. BTDC portion which pushes the piston backwards down the bore) of the combustion cycle due to the spark needing to be fired earlier to maintain peak cylinder pressure just after TDC.

This post does make perfect sense to me.

What puzzles me the most is if Ford tunes these motors from factory to handle 91ron, there is something definetely wrong for it to ping on this fuel. I don't want to just keep running premium to mask a problem.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You need to burn more ethanol than petrol to get the same power out of it, pretty simple. Your car is running pretty much as well as it can on 91ron fuel, adding ethanol effectively reduces the fuel you are delivering, so it may ping.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

sd1800 wrote:
What compelled me to run 91 for the first time in my life is the following post by xafalcon in another thread:

xafalcon wrote:
The stock engine system is designed to run 91 RON petrol. Using a higher octane petrol than it needs to acheive optimum spark timing will actually decrease power output as the slower burn rate of higher octane fuels increase the anti-work component (ie. BTDC portion which pushes the piston backwards down the bore) of the combustion cycle due to the spark needing to be fired earlier to maintain peak cylinder pressure just after TDC.

This post does make perfect sense to me.

That sounds like car manufacturer (or fuel company?) bull s**t, designed to confuse the average motorist. The facts are out there, 95 or 98 is better for your car, it burns cleaner, you use less of it to make the same power, it leaves less crap in the fuel system, and it can make more power than the cheap s**t! The fuel companies even advertise it as a better cleaner greener fuel. E10 (and E85) is a wank, designed to appease the tree huggers and guilt-spreading environmentalists, so the fuel companies can keep flogging us fossil fuels when they know there is something better out there.

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
You need to burn more ethanol than petrol to get the same power out of it, pretty simple. Your car is running pretty much as well as it can on 91ron fuel, adding ethanol effectively reduces the fuel you are delivering, so it may ping.

This is true. Ethanol blended fuels have a lower energy content and are "oxygenated" in nature.
Yes your ECU adjusts timing to suit high octane fuels but it doesn't adjust mixtures accodring to fuel blends.

Fatten her up a few %across the board and she'll stop pinging.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Yeah, so if you tune the car to use more fuel, it will let you use the cheaper fuel. :roll:
Why not just put the good stuff in it and be done with it?

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

The girlfriend put a whole tank of e10 in her BA XT one time and i recon the car has never been the same. When the e10 was in idled rough as and was sooooooo slowwwwww on take off. spend the extra 4 bucks and put atleast the normal unleaded in

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Some cars don't like some fuels either (no scientific proof but experience tells us) I put Vortex in my ZC 351-W once and it ran so crappy I headed straight to Shell for some Optimax! yet other people say that Optimax was crap and preferred Vortex! go figure! me I use LPG in the NF but only Premium unleaded minimum when it runs petrol just to make sure it cleans injectors etc...

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Is BP E10 only 91 ron? Shell & others are advertising it as 94 ron iirc?

I've never had any "real" issues running E10 in my car's, except for having to change the fuel filter a little more often, due to the tank getting cleaned out lol. I find my mighty boy pings on standard unleaded, which it should be able to run fine, and is fine on 94+ ron fuels.

As for my falcon, no issues on either 91 std unleaded or E10 @ 94 ron. I will be honest, I can't afford premium. I usually run LPG most of the time in the EB anyway.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

95 with correct lambda...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next