Fordmods Logo

Au v8 (185kw) Performance Mods? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Au v8 (185kw) Performance Mods?
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia 5.0L

NSW, Australia

All ready got full exhaust,Cold air intake with pod filter in box and 2 stage shift kit

Post subject: Re: Au v8 (185kw) Performance Mods?
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Heads, cams, throttle body and a tune.

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:27 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

full exhaust??? they have a full exhaust standard..lol

what size exhaust?
duel or single?
2.5" or 3"?

decent headers and high flow cats will help..
3.9 diff gears will make it more lively,
a set of aftermarket alloy heads will allow it to breath and will have decent valve springs if or when you want to do a cam change..

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
a set of aftermarket alloy heads will allow it to breath and will have decent valve springs if or when you want to do a cam change..

Many alloy heads do not come standard with hydraulic roller compatible valve springs. If you go this route, ask the seller to confirm they are suitable. My SBF hydraulic roller spring guideline is 125lbs minimum seat pressure and a spring rate around 400lbs/inch.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:

Be careful. Many entry level alloy heads do not come standard with hydraulic roller compatible valve springs. If you go this route, ask the seller to confirm they are suitable. My SBF hydraulic roller spring guideline is 125lbs minimum seat pressure and a spring rate around 400lbs/inch.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:44 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Be careful. Many entry level alloy heads do not come standard with hydraulic roller compatible valve springs. If you go this route, ask the seller to confirm they are suitable. My SBF hydraulic roller spring guideline is 125lbs minimum seat pressure and a spring rate around 400lbs/inch.

good point....
I noticed with I think its the edelbrock estreet heads they only come with springs suited for flat tappet cams, and most need piston fly cutting for clearance?

I have the trickflow 170s with duel springs with trickflow 1.7 rockers.. a direct bolt on, no need for fly cutting pistons ect..

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Edelbrock E-Streets are the same castings as Performer RPM's, just haven't been tidied up after casting. And they have cheap crappy valve springs that limit recomended RPM's to 5500 and a small flat tappet cam. But 6 hours work with cartridge rolls and a new set of drop-in springs (I use comp cams springs) and you have a good pair of budget alloy heads that flow OK and cope with a really strong street cam. For Edelbrock RPM heads you have to specify the 5.0 version in whatever intake valve size you want to get HR compatible springs. Same with AFR, you have to select the right p/n to get the right springs. These are the heads I have used, can't speak of any others.

For in-line valve heads, 1.90" intake valves usually work with stock piston valve reliefs. 2.02" intake valves usually need fly cutting, or a set of decent aftermarket pistons with bigger reliefs. The KB's I use in my 347's come with TW reliefs as well as in-line. But it is always recomended to check P2V clearance before firing a motor up because cam profile has an effect on valve position v's piston position.

Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

I know for a fact the trickflow 170 fac heads and the cnced 185's have valve springs designed for hydraulic camshafts.

Both of those heads and the 190 fac are direct bolt on to your engine with no need to do anything to the stock piston with a stock cam (any stock cam ranging from eb v8 to au3 xr8 cam).

Those heads come with 2.02 intake valve's and again pistons dont need notching IF your using the standard cam, afr's etc all require notching pistons when used with a 2.02 intake valve (as they are an inline valve head)

If you are changing the cam it is good practice to use valve springs that are suited to that camshaft and in this instance p2v MUST be checked.

Ive put above mentioned heads on four different motor's and not once have i had to notch piston's or had any p2v clearance problems.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yes but your twisted wedge heads have a flatter valve angle. The standard valve angle is 20 degrees. The new twisted wedge heads have an 11 degree intake and 13 degree exhaust valve angle. Since the valves sit straighter then you can run a larger valve and/or a more aggressive cam profile before the edge of your valves hit pistons.

Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

Doesn't look like the OP is too interested in what people have to say!

Put in a set of 3.9 gears & a tune.

From there its either heads/cam/intake or bolt on a blower.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR8

SA, Australia

sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but i own a 98 el series 2 xr8 with the 185 kw engine in it, and i was also looking at what i could do to gain power... at the moment i have an ss growler CAI and twin 2.5" D&T stainless exhaust system, and im sure its running el GT headers on it.

its extremely sluggish down low.. in saying doing heads ect would converting it to carby help in the long run?. EFI is good and all but its also extremely expensive tuning and alot of B/S in the engine bay.

im looking at keeping standard heads on it (or swap to gt40p's) and open them up a bit, get some roller rockers and a descent cam. It has the 345:1 lsd in it, which is still extremely tight. so i may leave it in for the time being. further on down the track i may go to 3.9's. but i also daily this car.

cheers any hints would be killer

Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Tuning isnt that expensive. A j3 is one of the cheapest ways to tune anything. Compare that to a standalone ecu

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

... and then compare it to the cost of intake manifold, carby, fuel pump & regulator, new ignition system...

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:22 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

OXFRD8 wrote:
sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but i own a 98 el series 2 xr8 with the 185 kw engine in it, and i was also looking at what i could do to gain power... at the moment i have an ss growler CAI and twin 2.5" D&T stainless exhaust system, and im sure its running el GT headers on it.

its extremely sluggish down low.. in saying doing heads ect would converting it to carby help in the long run?. EFI is good and all but its also extremely expensive tuning and alot of B/S in the engine bay.

im looking at keeping standard heads on it (or swap to gt40p's) and open them up a bit, get some roller rockers and a descent cam. It has the 345:1 lsd in it, which is still extremely tight. so i may leave it in for the time being. further on down the track i may go to 3.9's. but i also daily this car.

cheers any hints would be killer

You won't legally be able to fit the carby to you vehicle. Will not comlpy with emissions regs.

Grab a Moates Quarterhorse chip and kit and you will be able to live tune and data log.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XR8

SA, Australia

i know i wont be able to put a carby on it legally.. although even changing cams will cause emission issues, so either way it wont really be legal.

i have had a 6 cylinder with a j3 chip in it and it wasnt all that great, altho it was cheaper then aftermarket computers.

i plan to go that way again (j3) but plan to get it dyno tuned, where is mine was road tuned.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next