Fordmods Logo

AU V8's reliability 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: AU V8's reliability
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

before you go writing off the windsor, Test drive a BA XR8 and the AU XR8 back to back.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

xr8 or maybe a 6?.. com on if theres any choosing needed its definatly the 8. plus if ur gettin a manual the ba mk2s get the 6speed. but unfortunatly the auto is still the 4speed up till bf.

i had a 6pot once like 5 years ago in a xe. then on v8s all the way. and before some people go oooh the fuel consumption well herer ya go. the v8s make justabout identicle mileage DEPENDING on how you drive it. ofcourse the v8 will seem like more coz everytime you give it some you hear a nice v8 rumble and you just keep goin.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon - AU 2 Futura

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
before you go writing off the windsor, Test drive a BA XR8 and the AU XR8 back to back.

i'm doing just that tomorrow, but i'm leaning to the BA in looks, and the fact it would be all new...not just a better version of what i had...but we'll see

Benny D wrote:
xr8 or maybe a 6?.. com on if theres any choosing needed its definatly the 8. plus if ur gettin a manual the ba mk2s get the 6speed. .

yeah, i do want the V8, but if i go for the I6...for the same money i can get a much newer & lower kms car.
and yeah, i know on the fuel consumption...if you drive sensible the 8 isn't much worse than the 6, and it will annoy the hippie hybrid drivers more...which is a damn good upside.
i do crave the extra power, the sixes i've been used to recently are just left wanting a bit more grunt.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Homes wrote:
67RCE wrote:

i'm doing just that tomorrow, but i'm leaning to the BA in looks, and the fact it would be all new...not just a better version of what i had...but we'll see.

If you do go for a BA, get it from a car yard, make sure the diff bushes are replaced before you pick up the car. Its a $900 job if they die. The BA XR8 is a dog under 3000rpm, then starts making power/torque. Test an XR6 Turbo aswell.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

i will be buying from a car yard...need my trade in.

i will check out a turbo 6 too...and i'll keep the diff bushes in mind

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8 + AUIII XR6

NSW, Australia

Just my opinion, I recently upped my AUIII XR8 for a BAII XR8 6sp, and while i absolutely love the BA looks, interior, power and the kick a** bonnet bulge, i must admit the AU is a better drivers car. Obviously lacking a few KW but much lighter and i found much better to throw around etc... The weight in the front of the BA makes it feel very different to my AU when coming into chicanes/corners etc... Either way the upgrade is well worth it as the 5.4 is awesome, and yes its a dog down low but some minor mods and a flash tune will fix it up. Cant part with my AUIII XR6 though, rips the BA up to 100km before the 8 starts taking over and would kill it around a tight track. The 6's are very punchy down low, bit lighter, but theres nothing like the sound and top end power of the 8's. I think you should definately test drive all options as everyones driving styles are different.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

I know my cars an eb, but since ive turbocharged it apart from leaking oil the engine has given me nil problems and i believe ive done over 300,000+ km on it and im the third owner.

On the subject of 5.4s gutless till modified is true, my brother darkness has an exhaust and c.a.i and it still feels a little lacking down low (compaired tm a windsor 302).

Windsors pretty much live forever and try finding a efi 302 for the price of a second hand i6 motor at the wreakers!, and i mean no m8s rates.

Ive test driven the auS3 xr8 manual and it is the BEST well balanced car ive ever driven, it had power, sound, comfort, and ability and id imagine the TS50 would be even better.

Compairing the au to ba IF i had the money it would be TS50 > GT-P, and me being me id turbocharge it too.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i can't speak for BA's but when i pulled the heads of my turbo eb 5.0l at 220,000km
the bores still had the hone marks clearly visible which means no bore wear after that many k's
and never blew any smoke apart from raw fuel
my current xr8 has 290km on it and no smoke and oil stays fairly clean until its changed
and no smoke and no rattles (just an electrical miss at the moment that i'm working on)
oh and the Boss motor is a truck motor (triton 5.4) but thats not a bad thing

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL fairmont

NSW, Australia

Same as story as an i6 taxi, u look after it it looks after you.

301000ks on mine and sings a very sweet tune. even tho it was neglected.

Eg 6 outta 8 injectors were stuffed/blocked couple of vacuum leaks. but no problems with the engine itself.

Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thanks for the input guys...wound up with a BAII turbo ute

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Not a bad choice at all mate! If i was in the market for something newer than i have, for a budget choice I would pick the BA/BF Xr6 turbo. If money was no object a GT-P, lol. But alas it is, so i will keep my old windsor. :-)

I have a EB Xr8 that has over 330,000 on the clock, the engine feel's so tight & strong.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2