AU2 ex-cop vs AU2 XR8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU2 ex-cop vs AU2 XR8
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:42 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU2 V8

WA, Australia

Gday all... I just bought myself a new toy today to replace my classic '69 Cooper S that I sold last weekend - its an AU2 ex-cop Forte, and I've got a coupla questions...
whats the difference between the cop engine and the XR8 engine?
The guy I bought it from said they put better stuff on the cop ones is that right? did the cops do anything to their v8's or would it be just a standard 175kw job?
its got pacemakers going into twin cat's and then a 3" single system with a tri-flow muffler - it sounds pretty nice, but i'd think that replacing the tri-flow with a good straight-through (eg Genie Tornado) would make it sound better - would that be right? what's the consensus on the best sounding exhaust setup for these machines?
Thanks

Geoff

ex owner of a very addictive mildly modified '69 Mini Cooper S - best ET 16.6@80mph
now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte
- Pacies + exhaust + XR8 17's + Tickford suspension

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

police pack basically meant the XR alloy tailshaft, no speed limiter and different shift points in the auto's programming, no extra power

Banned

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

yeah cop pack = you get ripped off if you think it makes a difference.

XR8 ftw!

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

ok so whats the difference between a 200kw xr engine and the 175kw basic job?
this is the car anyway... the first V8 I've owned. I used to think the sound of the weber carb on the old Mini was addictive but it doesn't compare to the V8 - shoulda bought one years ago

G

ex owner of a very addictive mildly modified '69 Mini Cooper S - best ET 16.6@80mph
now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

NICE car mate. Looks great (even for an AU :wink: ). Nice wheels, clean body. Paint suits the fact that it's a Mont and looks good. I like it.

I dunno about the whole "cop pack" thing. Drive a cop pack Falcon / Commodore (any model) back to back with a stock jobie and not only does the cop pack handle a lot better, but it also feels like it has a bit more urge in it.

What made you go for it?

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

downingj wrote:
NICE car mate. Looks great (even for an AU :wink: ). Nice wheels, clean body. Paint suits the fact that it's a Mont and looks good. I like it.

I dunno about the whole "cop pack" thing. Drive a cop pack Falcon / Commodore (any model) back to back with a stock jobie and not only does the cop pack handle a lot better, but it also feels like it has a bit more urge in it.

What made you go for it?
its only a forte, not a fairmont

Banned

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:03 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

downingj wrote:
What made you go for it?

yeah its just a forte not a mont the PO put a fmont grille on that i like the look of...
as for why i went for it, i was actually dead set on getting an EL XR8 - was checking out a couple from on here - Kev Bechaz's one and another maroon one on gas but then last week I drove one that was for sale over here in WA for $14K (s2 185kw manual) and decided that its a lot of money for what felt like basically a less-comfortable-version of my EF mont that i sold a year ago for about a third that price - just with a different engine - so then went and checked out this AU. it was way cheaper than the EL - even after i do an lpg conversion will still be way cheaper - so i grabbed it and certainly not regretting it... i was never really into the look of the AU's (esp without a rear spoiler) but in the space of 24 hours i've got to really like it even how it is and probably the only reason i might put a spoiler on (the guy gave me one with it) is so i can see where the boot ends in the rear vision mirror... otherwise maybe get some reversing sensors for it saw some on ebay a while ago dunno if they're any good...

G

now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

..did I talk to you down at the drags a month or two back?

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:14 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

fnp wrote:
..did I talk to you down at the drags a month or two back?

if you're the one with the XT doing 14's, yes that was me... i'll have to give you a run some time although you'll probably still waste me even with the v8 since i've got no idea how quick (or slow) it is yet... pity they don't open till september wish there was another proper drags venue...

now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Ah yes that was me... and yes we need another drags venue..

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

downingj wrote:

What made you go for it?

Fool, thats clearly not a mont.

Um, just slap on an exhaust and headers, and maybe cam and chip or something... should see you owning the 200kW :p.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Didn't all the AU V8's have the GT40P and explorer manifold.

If they did there is a lot of potential in there with a cam, exhaust etc. I don' think they will make massive power, but will be a big step up from 175kw's.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

The exhaust is sort of done, although i'm considering my options on making it quieter so i don't give my back-seat-car-pool-passengers a headache on the 75km drive to work. Its fine at 100-110, but around 80 it gets pretty droney... i was thinking that a 2.5" with a quality straight-through might be quieter and still flow just as well as the 3" tri-flow i've got now... I've got it booked in at Genie on saturday morning they reckon they'll take a look and give me some options.

but my main question was what exactly is different on the xr8 that gives it 25kw more than a stocky or 45kw more in the auIII, and what would be involved to do the same to mine?

G

now replaced with
AU2 V8 Forte

Last edited by Cooper69s on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Cooper69s wrote:
The exhaust is sort of done, although i'm considering my options on making it quieter so i don't give my back-seat-car-pool-passengers a headache on the 80km drive to work. i was thinking that a 2.5" with a quality straight-through might be quieter and still flow just as well as the 3" tri-flow i've got now... I've got it booked in at Genie on saturday morning they reckon they'll take a look and give me some options.

but my main question was what exactly is different on the xr8 that gives it 25kw more than a stocky or 45kw more in the auIII, and what would be involved to do the same to mine?

G

As far as I am aware, it was all in the heads.

Cam, pistons, intake, etc etc are the same from 185-220 I believe...???

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8 & 06 4x4 Bravo

VIC, Australia

Yeah I think it's just the head's that gave them the extra power too..

How are ya going noticing the petrol cost from a Mini to a V8 Falcon?

'04 BA XR8
Winter White, 5 Speed Manual, Sports Leather, Premium Sound, 2 1/2" Cat Back Exh - no rear Mufflers, Lowered SL/SSL, 20's, Underdrives, BF Typhoon Rear Spoiler, GT Steering Wheel, etc.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next