Fordmods Logo

AU2 v AU3 XR8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: AU2 v AU3 XR8
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

I am currently looking at purchasing either of the above, specifically I am going to look at a Black November 2000 5 Speed XR8 tomorrow. Looking at offering about 10k - 10.5k as its not completely spotless but still in quite good cond and does have rego till december. Would this be a fair price?

Firstly I would like to know:

1) Specific things I should be looking out for with the AU's?
2) Also when did tickford start hand building the motors? Where is the badge on the block that would tell me its hand built?
3) What gives the AU3 another 20kw over the AU2 and apart from the 20kw? Are there other differences between the two with driving chareteristics?

I can see a large difference between AU1>AU2 but cant really justify spending the money people want for a AU3 when it appears there isn't a huge difference.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Post subject: Re: AU2 v AU3 XR8
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

the AU 3 xr had the option of the rebel side skirts and rear bar which look great and check for rust near the boot hinges and around the engine bay, considered a T2 TS/TE50? will hold its value alot better in the future and they start around 13k so not to much more

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

cam and rockers are different from AU2 to AU3
the hand built badge is on the rocker cover

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Roller rockers, cam and throttle body.

AU2 had a 65mm tb, 1.6 crane roller rockers and a decent cam.

AU3 had 70mm tb, 1.72 yella terra roller rockers and slightly less agressive cam.

Last of the AU2's copped the 220KW treatment as well. Bothe AU2 and AU3 were handbuilt.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

check out the clutch cable when it goes through the firewall for cracks, is the clutch cable heavy, my dec 00 xr6 had a heavy clutch that somethimes felt stranged then the cruise stopped working then the clutch pedal box snapped, new cable new pedal box and was all fixed, only other prob was power window switches and leaking water when it rained. oh and the front bar and the plastic wind deflector under it always fell down from going up gutters, the rest was great
i would actually buy an auto now as i drive in the city lots and the manual was very industrial to drive compared to jap cars, also can't tow over 1600kg with a manual

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I've got abit more of an idea what im looking at.

fourL6 wrote:
the AU 3 xr had the option of the rebel side skirts and rear bar which look great and check for rust near the boot hinges and around the engine bay, considered a T2 TS/TE50? will hold its value alot better in the future and they start around 13k so not to much more

Thats not a bad idea mate. Had abit of a look then and they are as rare as rocking horse sh!t but i guess thats a good thing if you can get your hands on one for a decent price. Theres a T1 TS50 5 speed repaired write off for a starting bid of 15k on ebay. And a T1 TS50 Auto with 200,000kms on it in QLD for 12k.

Theres even a TL50!!!!! for 11k but it needs a new front and rear bar. Been sandwiched by the look of it.

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

that tl50 is a stolen recovered and will always be on the wovr..but who cares
get prices from ford on new bars (if they still make them) probably why it was written off after someone priced new bars

there is a modded f6 on pickles salvage too that would be nice to get....

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NC V8 FAIRLANE GHIA 220kw

New Zealand

Are there any differences between au2 and au3 suspension and braking setups? Would be greatful for any info.

I jus t picked up a mint au2 2001 with handbuilt engine. The cam has obviously been changed from original, but the rest is stock. Its my 2nd of these engines, the other freshened and recammed in my 91 fairlane. Cant wait to see which is quicker down the track as the fairlane has a few more ponies as the cam is more aggressive and the heads have been polished better. The dyno too, will be an interesting story. I prefer the windsor to the ba 5.4 as much cheaper to work on and many more aftermmarket parts.

'91 NC Fairlane Mint Original Paint, Fresh uprated 220 to 270kw Xr8 motor, re cammed with custom high torque grind. LSD, Underdriven accessories, Hand controls (i'm a wheelchair user), Custom twin 2.5" steel exhaust into 3", Hurricane headers,

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]