Fordmods Logo

AU2 XR8 200KW Oposed to AU2-AU3 220kw...realistically. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AU2 XR8 200KW Oposed to AU2-AU3 220kw...realistically.
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hey all!! I am in the market to purchase either an AU2 200Kw Manual(196,000k's) or a later AU2 with the 220Kw motor coupled to an auto(112,000k's). With prices of $13,000 and $18,000 respectivly. Both are Internally and externally almost A1. They are both Cloth interior, cruise, p/winds

Both these vehicles have the "partially hand built" Windsor, with Cam,heads, throttle body, intake and exhaust parts changed and replaced with their Tickford spec counterparts. With the 220 obviously getting the better gear! Both have the "Tickford part replacer's" (as I like to call em!!) name on the motors. I have heard the 220(same as earlier T-series motor ,had same head specs only Iron not alloy) also requires PULP, which is a bummer!

I have driven both cars, and found the 200Kw manual vehicle-which has had a visit to Herrod btw, despite having higher km's- to be more enjoyable to drive- and it seems to have more urgency- Probably due to the 5spd!! :)

The auto is a lovely car, if not a little bit tighter, has great torque from the word go, and chews up the road lovely with the old 4 spd- although it just seems to let the car down a little.

I'll stop rabbiting on!! I have done extensive research on both motors, but still cannot come to a desision....my main concerns are the clutch in the manual (I am all but turned off to manual cars, due to my monster heavy clutch in my EB, cable problems with heat, and the unmechanical like feel of the ford cable unit. Although the AU's seems to be nice, much easier to depress, and a tighter feeling cog gate. And cable enters the firewall on a much different angle too..could be why?? :wink:

Also- here comes the usual question!!! Which one would generally be a quicker XR-8.... The manual 200kw, or the Auto 220kw??

Any info, personal or learned much appreciated- Im sure someone likes these cars or engines, enough to be helpfull to me!!!

Also is it true , that when driven conservativley these cars can return 9-10 L per 100k's on long runs/? With an average combined of 13.5-14.5 of mixed driving?

Thanks in advance...

Mick.

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Do you plan on doing any engine mods? If so, for example, doing cam and heads down the track, you could do the older one. But on the other hand, if you live in the 'burbs and intend to drive the car everyday through the rat race, then the auto is a no brainer. I have 2 manual V8s, but that's how I like my V8s as I drive with a mix of rat race and open road.

You're going to have to make a decision on the transmission. If you cant live with a clutch, the 220kW car is a no brainer.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Post subject: Re: AU2 XR8 200KW Oposed to AU2-AU3 220kw...realistically.
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

raff-26 wrote:
Also- here comes the usual question!!! Which one would generally be a quicker XR-8.... The manual 200kw, or the Auto 220kw??

G-Tech them both and see what you get.

raff-26 wrote:
Also is it true , that when driven conservativley these cars can return 9-10 L per 100k's on long runs/? With an average combined of 13.5-14.5 of mixed driving?

My 5L auto did about 8L/100KM on the highway and about 13.5 - 14L/100KM city driving.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

my 5L 5 speed gets around 20L/100km's arounds

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Do you plan on doing any engine mods? If so, for example, doing cam and heads down the track, you could do the older one. But on the other hand, if you live in the 'burbs and intend to drive the car everyday through the rat race, then the auto is a no brainer. I have 2 manual V8s, but that's how I like my V8s as I drive with a mix of rat race and open road.

You're going to have to make a decision on the transmission. If you cant live with a clutch, the 220kW car is a no brainer.

I beleive that the 220 already had the modded t-series(iron tho) heads, 70mm t/body, intake, cam , exhaust and cam.....all courtesy of Tickford?? This would be enough for me.....surely u should expect 150rwkw from a stocker 220.

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: xr8 no.3 Au3 Ute

QLD, Australia

u'll be crying if u get the manual and the firewall cracks where the cable runs through. not a cheap fix. that fact alone really turns me off manuals.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

I've got an AU2 XR8 ute as an auto.
Never again. Its a bit of a slug (stupid BTR 4 speed)
My EL XR8 Series 1 manual would have spanked it when it was stock.
If you want an auto for a lot of city driving, then get the Series 3.
If you like to drive a car and dont mind shifting cogs, then definately get the Series 2.
The clutch feel you used to hate... was that in a 6 cyl EB?
Cause all the 6 cyl Falcon manuals i've driven, the clutch feels like s**t compared to all the other V8 manual Falcons i've driven.
Personally, after buying this AU XR8 i have, i'll never go back to another BTR 4 speed auto, unless i had to.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Both cars have 'cams' although the 220kW has one that makes more power with the YT modified P heads and larger throttle body. The 200kW with an exhaust/real extractors will at least equal with the rebel engine. It all comes down to the amount of kms, the transmission choice and of course, the price you want to pay.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: ELXR8 SERIES 2

SA, Australia

bottom line, auto's suk :wink: the manual should eat the auto if the donk is in good condition. only thing that would turn me off is the higher kms but hey this is the v8 workshop, these little windsors are prety tough and you could spend the $5000 you will save on some goodies for it.

EL XR8 SERIES 2, 5SPD, HOT CHILLI RED, 200 ODD RWKW OF V8 FUN AND GAMES

EF XR6, 5SPD, HERITAGE GREEN, AU XR6 VCT ENGINE

VL COMMODORE, 5SPD, WHITE

BA XT, AUTO, OFFSHORE BLUE

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

not that this should influence your decision, but apparently the 200kw had a bigger cam than the 220kw.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

[quote="EL XR8"]The clutch feel you used to hate... was that in a 6 cyl EB?
Cause all the 6 cyl Falcon manuals i've driven, the clutch feels like s**t compared to all the other V8 manual Falcons i've driven.

Yeah correct my faithfull old wagon is a 6cyl 5 spd.
Its caused me nothing but trouble in the clutch area...from cracked firewall x2 times, cracked pedel box, flexing pedal box, breaking clutch clevis's, early cable deterioration (poss due to uncoated cheap extracs!! ie- heat-now rectified with an EL modded heat shield *lol*, iput shaft, and 3 x clutch kits, they just would not hold at all, kept slipping!!! so yeah, as u can see this is the reason I shy away--I love the manuals- manual anything really....but like seriously, this AU2 XR-8 5 spd, really felt like a true performance machine- with its twin herrod howlers ouit the back, adding to the effect I think... but I dont wanna have the probs with the clutch again!!!! It will just take all the fun away.. :o

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:45 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU3 XR8

Power: 191 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I use to have an Ef xr6 in a manual and i had the same problem with the firewall cracking. Even had a metal plate welded to it but did jack. Had to change the clutch and cable at least every 6 months.
I currently have an AU3 xr8 in manual and have no problems since.
Id say go for the manual if you wnat something that will give you some punch.

AU3 XR8 Manual, Full options,Pursuit Lip, Boss bonnet, Hurricane extractors, zorst, SS Induction, K&N filter, Flash tuned...191rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

DaveXR8 wrote:
I use to have an Ef xr6 in a manual and i had the same problem with the firewall cracking. Even had a metal plate welded to it but did jack. Had to change the clutch and cable at least every 6 months.
I currently have an AU3 xr8 in manual and have no problems since.
Id say go for the manual if you wnat something that will give you some punch.

Thats what I think I may end up doing, I mean 196,000 aint that much for the good old 302...It did feel much more punchy too. funny tho, real close gearing- gear change wise, as compared to my eb.......like a simple click i inch or so 1st to 2nd...

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU3 XR8

Power: 191 rwkw

NSW, Australia

yeah it doesnt really have a long throw when shifting.
I just put a shortend lever on mine and it feels heaps short. It'll be heaps shorter with a shift kit.

And like what one of the other guys have mentioned. with the money you save you can get some goodies or recondition it.

Just for your information. i bought my AU3 for 18k but had to get the syncros changed whcih cost me an extra grand. But it did come with full options and only 70,000kms.

AU3 XR8 Manual, Full options,Pursuit Lip, Boss bonnet, Hurricane extractors, zorst, SS Induction, K&N filter, Flash tuned...191rwkw

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

Powerwise, my stock 200kw TE50 made 166kw (225hp) at the tyres through the T5.

IMO there is no contest, get the manual 200, the power level can easily be stepped up if you want more. ;)

TE50 T1 P01

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next