Fordmods Logo

AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:44 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

I'm in a bit of a predicament here.
The AU has some serious suspension issues that, due to spare/seconds parts not existing, I cannot fix.

It is a roadworthy issue, so when rego comes up, its highly likely I'll be forced to scrap my car for spares.

I'm trying to engineer the parts myself, but if I'm unable to, swapping the running gear is my next option.
I'm wondering though, what kinds of cars OTHER than the AU, can I put this engine into, and what process is involved? Does anyone know or have suggestions.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:06 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 7331

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

Location: ɹǝpun uʍop
NSW, Australia

Its the rear suspension upper that you are chasing right.

Good luck with that. ?Have a look on EBAY there are re manufactured ones on there.

 

_________________

Image

I have a car.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

I tried but the only results I was pulling were for the shock absorbers themself. I require the rear upper shock mounts to an xr8 IRS model, which as far as I can see, are next to impossible to find. Even the local ford dealership just laughed at me (yes, he literally laughed at me) when I asked if I could get any new, second hand or aftermarket.

I did find this guide about repairing worn out mounts, and until recently I had a spare set.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... t=11353903

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:35 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

You can fit the engine into just about any other car you can think of.
As an example I did a 220kw job into a 6cyl XH many years ago.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:06 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

CRL13X wrote:
I tried but the only results I was pulling were for the shock absorbers themself. I require the rear upper shock mounts to an xr8 IRS model, which as far as I can see, are next to impossible to find. Even the local ford dealership just laughed at me (yes, he literally laughed at me) when I asked if I could get any new, second hand or aftermarket.

I did find this guide about repairing worn out mounts, and until recently I had a spare set.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread ... t=11353903


before you decide to ditch the xr8 contact wholesale suspension at Penrith, they were recently starting to do replacement shock uppers on exchange..

or as a quick fix to get you by. remove the top plate under the top shock nut and turn it over this takes out all of the movement in the mount.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 2448

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 7 images

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

If all else fails - is there much stopping you from putting a live axle in? - arent all the mounts there?

Nigel
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

I'm not sure what a live axle is.

Alao, I should have replied with this earlier, but in a few days the car is going to an engineer who is going to pull it down completely, and modify it or change it.
He says he won't know what he can do with it until he has it apart.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:59 pm 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

CRL13X wrote:
I'm not sure what a live axle is.

Alao, I should have replied with this earlier, but in a few days the car is going to an engineer who is going to pull it down completely, and modify it or change it.
He says he won't know what he can do with it until he has it apart.


Live axle = Solid axle...ie Not IRS.

Oh dear that sounds expensive.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
CRL13X wrote:
I'm not sure what a live axle is.

Alao, I should have replied with this earlier, but in a few days the car is going to an engineer who is going to pull it down completely, and modify it or change it.
He says he won't know what he can do with it until he has it apart.


Live axle = Solid axle...ie Not IRS.

Oh dear that sounds expensive.

Ah, so my assumption was correct.
I don't really see how that changes how the springs attach to the car though.

Anyway, it's already cost me $1300 redoing the rest of the suspension - right before I discovered this issue, so I figured it was more of a waste to just throw that out.
It shouldn't cost ~too~ much, its a basic pulldown, remove the parts, cut and weld the body to fit Ghia parts, and put it back together. At least, that is what we currently expect.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 2754

Joined: 22nd Jan 2009

Ride: '91 EB Wagoon

Location: Geeelong
VIC, Australia

CRL13X wrote:
[
Ah, so my assumption was correct.
I don't really see how that changes how the springs attach to the car though.


It shouldn't cost ~too~ much, its a basic pulldown, remove the parts, cut and weld the body to fit Ghia parts, and put it back together. At least, that is what we currently expect.



mounts are differant for live axle. what Ghia parts?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

CRL13X wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
CRL13X wrote:
I'm not sure what a live axle is.

Alao, I should have replied with this earlier, but in a few days the car is going to an engineer who is going to pull it down completely, and modify it or change it.
He says he won't know what he can do with it until he has it apart.


Live axle = Solid axle...ie Not IRS.

Oh dear that sounds expensive.

Ah, so my assumption was correct.
I don't really see how that changes how the springs attach to the car though.

Anyway, it's already cost me $1300 redoing the rest of the suspension - right before I discovered this issue, so I figured it was more of a waste to just throw that out.
It shouldn't cost ~too~ much, its a basic pulldown, remove the parts, cut and weld the body to fit Ghia parts, and put it back together. At least, that is what we currently expect.


did you try wholesale suspension at Penrith for the upper shock mounts??

also the mounts are same as ghia,fairlane and vct xr6.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUI XR8 302 Windsor into another car?
Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:45 am 
Oompa Loompa
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 45

Joined: 19th Nov 2014

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon AU I XR8

Location: Wootton
NSW, Australia

I should note that this has been addressed. Ended up removing the mounts and inserting custom made oversize bushes.
With a new set of brakes and strutts, all up it came to $1235

Hopefully I never have to touch this damn suspension again. Front rubbers look like they're on the way out, but at least those are easy to buy new.

 

_________________

Owner of a 1992 EB Falcon, 2000 AU series II falcon and now a 1999 AU series I AU XR8

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:26 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names