Fordmods Logo

AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 4

Joined: 5th Jan 2010

Ride: AUII XR8

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Hi guys/gals,

Long time reader, 1st time poster!

I have an issue on my XR8 which is somewhat difficult to describe, but I will give it a crack and hopefully someone may be able to lead me in the right direction from my vague description or maybe even send me in the direction of someone who is knowledgeable with these things.

So here goes!!

Issue 1
Since picking up the ute I have always noticed a slight 'pinging' type noise coming from the drivers side extractor. At first I thought I may of had an exhaust leak so i went and replaced and re-tourqued all of the gaskets along the exhaust system but to no avail the issue still persists. The noise as far as I have noticed is not any different in weather conditions and will occur no matter what position the throttle is in. I just had it on a hoist while at idle and I was able to hear it when i put my ear up to the extractors (not too close of course :o ) and it sounded as if it was leading up to the head.

I have tried: replacing spark plugs ($100 bucks later :oops: ), given the car an oil change, cleaned air filter (un-oiled K&N panel filter of sorts), run thru a batch of injector cleaner, tried numerous types of premium petrol and the issue still occurs.

Is there anything in the head that can require re-adjusting which will give off a pinging type sound?


Issue 2
Over the last week at idle I have picked up a 'knock' type sound from the crank area of the engine (noticed it more so after an oil and sparkplug change over the course of the weekend). I have been listening to it since noticing it and have noticed that its only occurring once the car is warmed up, it does appear to come and go, from what i can hear over the exhaust it does increase with revs but it does not get any louder and I can not hear it above 2000rpm.

This one also has me completely stumped. At first I was thinking big end bearing but I think its just too inconsistent to be that.

This is as much info I could give without making it confusing haha, any info/troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated. Or as i said earlier pointing me in the direction of someone who may be able to help would also be great.

Thanks all!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 686

Joined: 11th Sep 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Welcome to Ford Mods!!

Most efi windsors suffer from dirty MAF sensors which cause them to ping. But im not sure if this applied to you.

What grade oil did you put in?

From what i understand, ive heard alot of ticking from extractors in the later windsors. Mine has the EL GT ones which are similar to the AU ones and mine tick too.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 am 
EFI Guru
Offline

Age: 52

Posts: 4289

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

The fact that it makes the noise at any throttle(ie; light or no load) position suggests it is not detonation. Being an AU it could be arcing to the metal covers over the spark plug boots...these should really be removed if the leads are original.
See if you can eliminate the noise by removing one plug lead at a time on that side.
If that doesn't solve it you may need to look for a dodgy rocker or even and dodgy lifter which could also be part of issue 2.
Does the "pinging" noise sound like it's at half engine speed? Does it sound like it's ocurring on multiple cylinders?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 699

Joined: 1st Jan 2006

Ride: Lots, all Fords

Location: Hamilton
New Zealand

I agree with XR9UTE. If you have the Yella Terra roller rockers I have encountered an RPM related knock that turned out to be a collapsed pushrod cup leading to the pushrod having 5mm of clearance. If the valve covers have moved slightly the roller rockers can also hit the under-side of the cover creating a knock.

 

_________________

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 am 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 365

Joined: 22nd Nov 2007

Ride: FG MK2 XR6T

Location: Bexley, Sydney
NSW, Australia

eboost wrote:
From what i understand, ive heard alot of ticking from extractors in the later windsors. Mine has the EL GT ones which are similar to the AU ones and mine tick too.


I have a similar noise. Have gotten the mechanic to get in and give it a flog and said he definetely can't hear any pinging. Exhaust guy said theres definetely no leaks in it and it's just header noise/tick. Alot of Try-Y's make this sound as the walls of the extractors are thinner and the gasses flow better making this sound. See the following link(hope fordmods doesn't mind me linking this lol). You can wrap the headers or just ignore it.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11214372

xafalcon wrote:
I agree with XR9UTE. If you have the Yella Terra roller rockers I have encountered an RPM related knock that turned out to be a collapsed pushrod cup leading to the pushrod having 5mm of clearance. If the valve covers have moved slightly the roller rockers can also hit the under-side of the cover creating a knock.


OP wouldn't have the Yella Terra's as it's a ute i.e. 200kw motor only.

 

_________________

Formerly LV XR5 Turbo, AU Fairmont Ghia V8 & EBII Fairmont I6.

Now......
Feb 2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual
- Luxury Pack

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 4182

Joined: 30th May 2005

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

Location: BrisVegas
QLD, Australia

sd1800 wrote:
eboost wrote:
From what i understand, ive heard alot of ticking from extractors in the later windsors. Mine has the EL GT ones which are similar to the AU ones and mine tick too.


I have a similar noise. Have gotten the mechanic to get in and give it a flog and said he definetely can't hear any pinging. Exhaust guy said theres definetely no leaks in it and it's just header noise/tick. Alot of Try-Y's make this sound as the walls of the extractors are thinner and the gasses flow better making this sound. See the following link(hope fordmods doesn't mind me linking this lol). You can wrap the headers or just ignore it.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11214372

xafalcon wrote:
I agree with XR9UTE. If you have the Yella Terra roller rockers I have encountered an RPM related knock that turned out to be a collapsed pushrod cup leading to the pushrod having 5mm of clearance. If the valve covers have moved slightly the roller rockers can also hit the under-side of the cover creating a knock.


OP wouldn't have the Yella Terra's as it's a ute i.e. 200kw motor only.


not necessarily, some 200kw motors got "donated" 1.7:1 rockers from Ford.

 

_________________

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

51TER - DL LTD. Stock.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 4

Joined: 5th Jan 2010

Ride: AUII XR8

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies!

The oil I'm using is some mediocre Castrol 15-40. Nothing special but as far as I'm aware it will do the job.

It did come with some Pacemaker's of sorts (not too sure on the spec) and when I had it on the hoist and had a listen to it, the noise was at its loudest just where people have been using the heat wrap in the link that was posted. So I might give that a crack and see how that goes.

If that fails, I think I'll rip off the rocker covers to see if the rockers have had a bit of a party (as questioned it is a 200kw donk and I'm pretty sure it wasn't fortunate enough to receive the Yella Terra goodies).


As for that knock, it completely has me stuffed haha.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 771

Joined: 20th Nov 2005

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

interesting comment about the EL GTs, i sometimes have a sound i relate to ping but not all the time, maybe it is related to these extractors....hmmmm foord for thought!
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 341

Joined: 5th Dec 2009

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Its not the purge solenoid for the carbon cannister under the passengers side guard, sounds similar to a ticking and is most noticeable at idle :D had this prob of a noisy solenoid on my au so i wrapped it up in a rag and quietened it down.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 4

Joined: 5th Jan 2010

Ride: AUII XR8

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

milo 302 wrote:
Its not the purge solenoid for the carbon cannister under the passengers side guard, sounds similar to a ticking and is most noticeable at idle :D had this prob of a noisy solenoid on my au so i wrapped it up in a rag and quietened it down.


Haha nah it's not that, I picked that up within the 1st week of owning it haha.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 64

Posts: 3552

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

Location: Penrith
NSW, Australia

These engines have had issues with broken valve springs ??
Check your cats ??

 

_________________

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: AUII XR8 Windsor Knock/Ping Issue
Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Posts: 341

Joined: 5th Dec 2009

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

reece_86 wrote:
milo 302 wrote:
Its not the purge solenoid for the carbon cannister under the passengers side guard, sounds similar to a ticking and is most noticeable at idle :D had this prob of a noisy solenoid on my au so i wrapped it up in a rag and quietened it down.


Haha nah it's not that, I picked that up within the 1st week of owning it haha.


I reckon mine used to sound like a galloping horse, maybe one that had escaped from the motor :D
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names