Fordmods Logo

Auto problems, limp home mode? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto problems, limp home mode?
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

hey guys, Just finished putting my motor and box in the LTD (5.0 V8 and auto BTR) and the motor is going great but the auto is stuck in limp home mode. This happened initially when we took it for the first drive, then i went to sprignats without the car and the old man played around with it and pulled the auto fuse out and put it back in and then it was fine. I go to drive the car today and its stucki in 3rd again? The oil is new, the auto has been serviced but she just won't change gears. Any ideas on what the problem is or how i can diagnos it? cheers in advance guys.

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagoon

WA, Australia

try the plug on the box. the one where all the wires connect to it. i think it is a big round plug from memory. i had my auto replaced with a second hand one and about 3 months later it went into LH mode. the gearbox guy pulled the plug off, cleaned it and put it back on again. been sweet ever since.

EF GLi Wagoon
Grandpa Spec

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

So limp mode is when its stuck in 3rd the whole time? does it go 1,2,3 and wont change or do you take off in 3rd?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

takes off in 3rd and doesn't go up or down

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Oustide Australia

I've just put the driveshaft in my muz with the 4speed auto. Can't feel the bugger changing gears. How sluggish is the thing in third. Is it like starting in third in a manual? Just trying to get a gauge of whether mine has gone into limp mode. To make matters worse I have a USA VSS which is a 2 pin unit instead of the 3 pin and operates at a different pulse rate.

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

na not as bad as starting off in 3rd in a manual, sorta sounded like it had a massive stall lol

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:00 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

KiwiDazza wrote:
I've just put the driveshaft in my muz with the 4speed auto. Can't feel the bugger changing gears. How sluggish is the thing in third. Is it like starting in third in a manual? Just trying to get a gauge of whether mine has gone into limp mode. To make matters worse I have a USA VSS which is a 2 pin unit instead of the 3 pin and operates at a different pulse rate.

That'll be your problem. The two pin Variable reluctance VSS is not compatible with the Oz eec or trans controller which uses a halleffect pickup. You can make a buffer circuit to fix this or better still....use a hall effect VSS.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Oustide Australia

beofre I start, apologies ELXR6lookalike for cutting into your thread.

I have a falcon instrument cluster hooked up for the temp/oil gauges. I decided to put in the speedo and get a reading out of it. Would it be possible for this to still work and not change gears?

I was going to run with the speedo out of a falcon and just put my muz panel in front of it. If I did that I would need to add in an electronic odometer.

Would one of those Jaycar speedo correctors do the trick?

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

not a problem mate, i've sorted my box out all is working fine now so the floor is yours mate.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]