Fordmods Logo

BA mkII xr8 engine cut out on highway, now wont start. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: BA mkII xr8 engine cut out on highway, now wont start.
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

heyo, its been awhile since I have posted on here.

the car is a 05 BA MkII XR8 no mods.

Last Friday on the way home from work doing 110 on the free way and the engine spluttered for a second. all the gauges on the dash stopped, the seat belt light flashed. the engine then recovered for a second then spluttered again, after the third time it cut out completely.

went to try start it again, all gauges work but it wont crank. got it towed home and had a quick look at what could be wrong. this is what I have checked so far. wont be able to do any more with the car till this weekend.

have pressed the fuel button behind the left kick panel

have checked that the engine didn't seize by turning it over by hand, then momentarily bridged the starter relay to make sure the starter motor worked.

I got as far as checking all the fuses and found that fuse #30 (Injectors) in the cabin fuse box was blown.

I replaced the fuse and tried to start the car again. but still nothing. I noticed that the dash showed that it was in park when you first turn the key around but then as soon as you turn the key to start the fuse blows and then the gear is no longer displayed on the dash.

is there anywhere I can get a wiring schematic of what this fuse actually powers? I have only got the diagrams that are in the Max Ellery repair book and haven't been able to find this fuse in those diagrams.

im going to look at the Injectors and wiring on the weekend. is there any other things I should aim to check first?

cheers
Simon

*Update*

Ok so have disconnected all injectors and coils.
Have pulled out the relay and diode for the eec

The fuse now blows when the ignition it turned to on now.

I have been doing visual checks of the wiring as i have been going in the engine bay. There doesnt appear to be any where it could be shorting.

So im now guessing the short is either in the cabin some where or the ecu is s**t.

As i cant test the ecu, Before i start pulling the cabin apart is there any other things that could be causing the fuse to blow?

Regards
Simon

Post subject: Re: BA mkII xr8 engine cut out on highway, now wont start.
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Well in going through the cabin wiring, have found that there is alot of water under the drivers side carpet.

Why didnt ford leave a drain plug in the floor like they had in the e series falcons.

Will update again once i get rid of the water and check all the wiring that it was in contact with.

Post subject: Re: BA mkII xr8 engine cut out on highway, now wont start.
Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hello,

Thought I would update.. Issues Solved

Turns out the water issue was not related to the engine cutting out, but is related to the cause of both issues.

In the process of pulling the car apart to hunt down the problems, have found that the car has been in a accident previously. it appears that it had been hit on the front right. due to someone doing a dodgy repair there was a bit of sponge stuck in a water drain point in a section between the firewall \ guard, which cause water to pool and run where it shouldn't.

now the issue of the engine cutting out is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a long time. from what I can see the wiring harness must have been damaged between the engine bay fuse box, along inside the right side guard.

Now for the stupid part. Instead of getting a engine bay fuse box and wiring harness, they chopped all the wires that go through the guard right at the point where the wires bend from the engine bay into the right guard. they have then soldered a new section of wiring at that point back to the cabin fuse box. now all of the soldered wires were soldered at the same point. each covered with heat shrink and then all wires were tapped together with electrical tape.

Over time with vibration, heat from the engine and on the day the car cut out it was a hotter then usual day, some of the solder started poking through the heat shrink and causing a nice little short. I'm lucky that the only thing that was fried were some fuses.

Went to a wreckers and got a whole engine bay fuse box and wiring harness. once it was put in and all connected the engine fired up first go.

cheers
Bucko

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]