Fordmods Logo

Ba xr8 hi stall 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Ba xr8 hi stall
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi all just wondering I some one can help me, I'm wanting to get a hi stall about 2200-2500 for my ba xr8 ute I'm installing cams and also thinking about 4.1 gears but just wondering if the his tall will make my computer go into limp home mode and also my ute is used as a daily driver and also tow a trailer most days, does the towing affect a car with a hi stall convertor what brands are good and what is the best sall vicinity for my ute

Post subject: Re: Ba xr8 hi stall
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

You will want a 2800 stall for your ute.
It wont do anything odd untill you stall it up above 3k rpm with no tyre movement which will make your trans drop into limp home mode.
But if it gets tuned they can move that safety trigger up or remove it completely.

And. Get a big trans cooler. No 1 thing.

Should be fine as daily diver, mine is.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Post subject: Re: Ba xr8 hi stall
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

You want to do all your engine mods before you increase your stall speed because, until you've done this increasing it will be just a guess. I would try the diff ratio change before the stall too.
Your cam choice determines what the best diff ratio and stall will be anyway. Changing cams is not going to do a lot for a 260 engine either I'm afraid...they really need more compression to take advantage of bigger cams which of course, aren't cheap for four of the f**k!?
A higher stall speed can be a problem with towing too because you may get excessive slip and therefore produce too much heat which will kill your trans.
When the converter locks up it will be ok but, to take adavantage of the torque multiplication when towing it will be unlocked and cause excessive heating of the fluid if not matched properly.
Either way, as Benny says, you need the best quality trans cooler with it's own fan, that you can get. I've got a Derale job for my other car but I really should put one on my Pursuit.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]