Fordmods Logo

Ba xr8 running rough feels like missing 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Ba xr8 running rough feels like missing
Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford ba xr8 ute

VIC, Australia

Hi all I have a ba xr8 ute I recently rebuilt the motor and have done nearly 2000 k's with out missing a beat. Then the other day I felt that it runs a little rough on idle and if I was to take of and put it under abit of load it like it misses abit the goes all right,changed spark plugs a little better but still there, fit factory throttle body back on and checked tps and still same, checked cleaned o2 sensors and cleaned also tried them on a different car and they fine ,heard it can be coils but how do you check them. Also I have the Capps flash tuner and I put it to the generic 98 octane tune and it was better, misses worse on factory tune but still there, just can't seem to figure it out hope some one can help me sort this out

Post subject: Re: Ba xr8 running rough feels like missing
Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

coils, or spark leads
im having the same issue, just cant afford to fix it because of hugely more important things going on
it could also be a blocked fuel filter i think

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:37 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Still sounds like HEGO's and you can't clean them but you can ruin them trying to clean them. They may be affecting long term fuel trim(over time) hence the 2k before the problem reared it's head and the apparent ok running on the other car.
Also check your fuel pressure and flow...could be the pump.
Disconnect your battery to clear KAM to see if runs ok and gets worse again over time?...then it's still likely the HEGO's.
How's your PCV system?

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

thanks for your help but i tried the 2 of my sensors in good running car and it ran fine and i put 2 sensors that were from a good running car and still the same rough running, what is the pvc system and whats it do, is there any way to check the coils packs at all so i can rule them out, also it seems like i have lost a little bit of power.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:42 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Disconnect your battery for about 1/2 hour and then try it.
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Sometimes after engine rebuilds it gets messed up...make sure your PCV valve in the rocker cover is ok.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi again I disconnected the battery and left it for about an hour then started but still rough on idle, whats the best way to check coils and fuel pressure,also I was driving on freeway today, has lost a bit of power but also at cruising at 100 k's I felt it jerking a little bit like it was pulling and pushing and just on take off it's still missing spluttering, also last night I took the PVC fitting off the rocker cover and run it but still same

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi all took my car to ford to try get this sorted out and the did some test. They checked coils, spark plugs, fuel pressure, injectors and all are good but they found that cylinder #1,2,3 have a miss but they can't fix it, got home did a compression test and they are all between 170-160 so all good,so I'm stuck with a ute that runs like s**t

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: bf xr6 and xr fg 50th anniversay

NSW, Australia

it sounds like you have dirty injectors it also might have water in the fuel filter change filter and see if it runs a bit beter if so put some metho in the fuel tant this will oborbe thr water in tank see how you go keep us postard

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

NSW, Australia

i'd be findin some1 with some coils and tesat them out or the way to test coils is take them out as well as the spark plug put the plug in the coil and start the car up and see if there is sufficent spark when having it near a eath thats how u test ur coils sounds like thats ur problem :)

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi all update in my ute, took it to a different mechanic and he rang me and said he found the problem, he said it was fuel mixture up the s**t with a couple of codes come up on computer and they were to do with cruise control and engine failure shut down and they were all tied into the one problem and he said it was the accelerator pedal was worn out and not working, $950 later I get my ute back and still same rough on idle loss of power sluggish on take off, what can be wrong I'm getting a bit over it just want it fixed. I also took intake manifold checked all the gaskets checked injectors if they were sitting right everything looks good changed fuel filter, after install went a bit better but still same now, what the f**k can be wrong?

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

He also changed the oxygen sensors but Still no good

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Were the heads checked for correctly sealing valves?

Have seen this issue on a couple of BA's where everything has been replace and the issues still exists - (that includes new coils, 02 sensors, PCM, cleaned injectors). The missfire is noticable at idle and light cruise but not under medium to full throttle.

We have done cylinder balance check (what ford would have done) which basically shuts down a cylinder and see's what the average rpm is. The cylinders that show the least rpm are obviously doing the least work hence the worst cylinders. You can even leakdown them but its usually a specific rotation of the valve that cause the missfire so a leakdown may not show anything either.

I would definately replace the coils and have at least a 1.1mm gap nothing less than this as a start.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Took my ute back to mechanic as it still not running right and he plugged the computer back in and he said there is still 2 problems and it's brake pedal switch failure and it running very rich now why couldn't he pick this up the other day and it cost me a grand and it's no better maybe time to trade if in for a new fg xr8 ute

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi all update on my ute, still no go still at mechanics since last Friday and he can't find problem why it's running rich, any pointers or what people think it might be, it can't be that much that can make it do this, either coils, plugs, injectors, computer, oxygen sensors, not much else that not the obvious oxygen sensors replace been told coils are good and injectors good what can make it run rich, maybe I should get a second hand computer and try that

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi there I was told that the problem is something to do with the fuel circuit or relay and it's caused by a sensor and it's closed the circuit, it's sensor on engine some where but he now has to find it, can any one shed some light to what sensor it will be cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next