Fordmods Logo

BA XR8 - Tune after new exhaust? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR8 - Tune after new exhaust?
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Totally new to the modular club..My BA Mk2 XR8 has just received a twin 2.5 exhaust with quad outlets, along with a set of pacey 4 into 1's. My question is the exhaust fitter said I may need to have it dyno tuned to recalibrate the engine management due to the new unrestricted flow, and aamother mechanic tells me if thats all im doing the car will run fine? Is there any truth to this. I am not planning any more mods in the near future. Thanks.

Attachments:
ba3.jpg
ba3.jpg [ 39.06 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]
ba4.jpg
ba4.jpg [ 48.24 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]

EF Ghia 5L V8
BAMk2 XR8 Velocity/Cobra 19's

Last edited by raff-26 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BA XR8 - Tune after new exhaust?
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:57 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Ideally you would recal for the exhaust but you don't strictly have to. If you had a BF you would probably have to because the 4 HEGO's cause idle problems generally.
My BA pursuit for example, is running the same tune it had before Difillipo 4-1, Xforce cats and twin 2 1/2". It has no problems and makes about 370hp and picked up 2L/100 fuel economy but, I suspect that has more to do with new HEGO's.
I will eventually get around to tuning it though.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Ideally you would recal for the exhaust but you don't strictly have to. If you had a BF you would probably have to because the 4 HEGO's cause idle problems generally.
My BA pursuit for example, is running the same tune it had before Difillipo 4-1, Xforce cats and twin 2 1/2". It has no problems and makes about 370hp and picked up 2L/100 fuel economy but, I suspect that has more to do with new HEGO's.

Thanks. I read somewhere about the absolute need for BF's to be recal'ed for header and/or exhaust changes. And that would explain it! But have not heard anything regard the BA or mk2.
It seems to run well - although my "experience" is limited only ever owning an old Windsor when it comes to V8's, i've not driven many BA-BF modulars, and the mechanic who is fairly reputable in a few circles reported to me it performed better then a stock BF he done a diff bush kit on in the previous week- so I guess I'll take that as a good opinion and just monitor the situation...and my fuel usage too which I'll add is less then impressive! :shock: Going from a motor that would be lucky to be giving 200hp at the fly to one with 350ish - my enthusiasm and driving pleasure has sure heightened. So I'll live with it! Is that 370 rwhp in that Pursuit? Now that would be nice!

Do you have any idea how "safe" or good for the car driving a 4 speed regulary in the SSS?

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

major ROOKIE question: what does hego stand for?

NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A GRUNTY V8!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

No wuckers raff,
Yours should have about 260hp at the rears stock. A good general rule is engine kw = hp rear wheel.
For example my Pursuit when stock was 309rw which is approx 290 engine kw. So 370 is rear wheel otherwise I'd pretty disappointed.

HEGO means Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor. Savage man.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

VIC, Australia

cheer, im sill pickin up on stuff like that... such as bbm?

NOTHING BEATS THE SOUND OF A GRUNTY V8!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Broad Band Manifold....a silly six cylinder term.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

raff-26 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Thanks. I read somewhere about the absolute need for BF's to be recal'ed for header and/or exhaust changes. And that would explain it! But have not heard anything regard the BA or mk2.
It seems to run well - although my "experience" is limited only ever owning an old Windsor when it comes to V8's, i've not driven many BA-BF modulars, and the mechanic who is fairly reputable in a few circles reported to me it performed better then a stock BF he done a diff bush kit on in the previous week- so I guess I'll take that as a good opinion and just monitor the situation...and my fuel usage too which I'll add is less then impressive! :shock: Going from a motor that would be lucky to be giving 200hp at the fly to one with 350ish - my enthusiasm and driving pleasure has sure heightened. So I'll live with it! Is that 370 rwhp in that Pursuit? Now that would be nice!

Do you have any idea how "safe" or good for the car driving a 4 speed regulary in the SSS?

depends on how ya drive it in the manual mode i suppose.
mine lastd 2 year with numerous burnouts / hard launches / 5 trips to the motorplex / lawn digs :lol:
and everything else i done to it. yes i drove it hard and i also changed the gearbox myself.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:39 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Driving in sport mode is actually better for the trans as it shifts a little quicker...slow soft shifting is actually bad for the trans because the clutches slip and create heat and wear.
The first thing to do with a BTR is flush all the fluid out using synthetic stuff...mine is still alive because of this I reckon. I have TR6060 waiting in the wings when it dies though :mrgreen:

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
Driving in sport mode is actually better for the trans as it shifts a little quicker...slow soft shifting is actually bad for the trans because the clutches slip and create heat and wear.
The first thing to do with a BTR is flush all the fluid out using synthetic stuff...mine is still alive because of this I reckon. I have TR6060 waiting in the wings when it dies though :mrgreen:

goin up yes.
what about goin down? especially into first over 30km/h or so? healthy still or not so?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:13 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

It's still going to downshift harder manually than auto but obviously it's going to shift down at higher speed therefore higher load so that isn't going to be good for it.

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
It's still going to downshift harder manually than auto but obviously it's going to shift down at higher speed therefore higher load so that isn't going to be good for it.

When I change up in SSS i tend to take my foot off the accel , and click it into next and then feed it to it - the only way it will sound like a "real" manual imo :wink:

I miss my EB XR with the T5 stupid hey!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure how good that would be for it though!! XR9UTE another quick one for you. My engine is not loud by any means, however the 260 has the most "engine noise" of any engine i've ever heard like all the clicking going on and i can only put that down to the multi valve multi cam thing...

EF Ghia 5L V8

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:32 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I'd keep my foot in it(and do) on changes because you can possibly reduce the pressure of the shift if you lift off at the point of shift....PCM sees less load at the shift point therefore reduces shift speed/pressure.
Yep there's a lot of chains and valves so you make the exhaust loud so you can't hear it :mrgreen:
Have you changed to the cast tensioners in yours?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]