Fordmods Logo

bad fuel? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: bad fuel?
Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

hey, my cars been running s**t since my last fill up and i think it might be crap fuel. would putting some injector cleaner in be worth a shot or is there something else i can do? incase it helps its been running real rough, guy at ford said it was running on 2 cylinders at times, does lil backfires all the time. any help would be good, thanks

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Sounds like the same thing that happened to toddys xr6t. (newest car I've ever pushed! :lol: ). He got a gutsful of water from a local servo. Finished up with three or four doses of injector cleaner and had to put a new fuel pump in it too! :x

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hmmm bugger. the bottle says its good for 2 tanks but can pour the whole thing in, do i just pour it all in?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Mine was backfiring and carrying on when I had a small leak in the intake, but mine is carby. Blown head gasket between cyls will cause it to lose 2 cyls, but you can pretty much guarantee its the fuel.

Id be syphoning the tank and putting some fresh stuff in there, water is evil...but I spose Uv got a full tank.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hrmm well i had half a tank then topped up before petrol went up and thats when i got the bad fuel, only started playing up 100km later and i've been driving it since, didnt know if it was fuel or something else :| should i just take out the remaining fuel and put a fresh tank of fuel in or just put some injector cleaner in and fill it up?

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:13 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

I recently had the joy of a blown head gasket between 1 and 2cyl. I was told by several people inc a mechanic that it was bad fuel :( . It started knocking really hard but no backfiring, just after I filled up with petrol. Im not sure if I had bad fuel and the knocking caused the gasket to go, but I drained the tank and filled up with fresh fuel to take it out of the equasion. Im looking on the bright side and using it as an excuse to change cam, heads etc :D

Anyway back to your problem, if its not knocking, just backfiring and being a pain in the a** you could just try and dilute the dodgy stuff with some 98octane and the inj cleaner. But if its pinging hard you dont want to end up like me, Id drain the tank. But being injected the motor may be retarding itself for protection so U might not be able to hear a knock...

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no knocking, its just real grumbly on idle and revs are just up and down. f**k up thing is it was bp ultimate! if it is bad fuel where do i stand with the petrol station? i paid cash and dont have a reciept for it :(

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

mark if its hunting for idle i think you may have a vacuum leak somewhere maybe.....or the timing jumped out a notch or so.....but you have an 8 so not sure if its the same as mine. might want to check the rocker cover for leaks or inlet/outlet manifold leaks or even the vacuum tree and hoses.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]