Post subject: Barra 220/230 Taken from Cars Guide
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

Cars guide
Quote:
Ford has also deleted the Barra 220 and Barra 230 V8s from its engine range.

The decision to no longer offer the 5.4-litre 24-valve engine was driven by the Ford North American's decision to close the Essex plant in Windsor, Ontario, where the engine is made.

“In reality it is not that big a decision,” he says. “We were only selling around 10 of those engines a month. We are not talking big numbers.”

The affected models are the Fairmont Ghia, the Fairlane G220 and G8 and the LTD. The XR performance cars will not be affected as they use the 32-valve V8 which is still freely available.

Gorman says Ford Australia has stockpiled enough of the three-valve engines to meet model demand until the arrival of the Orion

Not that many stock fords have these engines (i.e) falcon ute & Fairmonts but will this be the end of V8's again???

MEMBER 1390

Post subject: Re: Barra 220/230 Taken from Cars Guide
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

I was waiting for that to happen. They dropped the manual gearbox from the 3V range a while ago....I tried to order an new 3V manual ute only to discover they had dropped it!? They said it was because the load capacity of the clutch couldn't handle towing very much. I said " that's your fault for not fitting a tough enough clutch but I don't want to tow anything with it!"
Have you seen the pics of the supposed new all ally pushrod V8 that's coming? Apparently it can displace up to 7Litres. So it's sounds like the mod engines' days are numbered?

Pete.

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

It was stupid of them to have two seperate V8's to begin with. There's not that big a market these days for V8's, specially in the Ford camp as firstly you've got the turbo 6 cylinder which produces good power and the price of petrol.

As for your comment about the end of the V8 again that's not really relevant. The fact that they have droped 1 of there V8 models which as quoted was barely selling says nothing about V8's as a whole. The Boss V8's would be selling far more.

Also, reread that and notice what the majority of those vehicles that use that particular V8 are. They are the Fairlanes - which Ford Australia have droped. So it stands to reason than an engine that was used a lot by Fiarlanes and not really in any other cars would be deleted to.

Maybe they will get a tam Boss to be the base model V8.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3v ute

VIC, Australia

Isn't that old news? Could have sworn i read this a few months back :? Anyways it's a shame to see them go

www.bseries.com.au/punktured

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
I was waiting for that to happen. They dropped the manual gearbox from the 3V range a while ago....I tried to order an new 3V manual ute only to discover they had dropped it!? They said it was because the load capacity of the clutch couldn't handle towing very much. I said " that's your fault for not fitting a tough enough clutch but I don't want to tow anything with it!"
Have you seen the pics of the supposed new all ally pushrod V8 that's coming? Apparently it can displace up to 7Litres. So it's sounds like the mod engines' days are numbered?

Pete.

I have also read in a few US forums about a 4"+ bore size V8 based on the modular, they increased the bore spacing to allow decent bore diameter, unlike the current modular with aftermarket wet sleeve allowing about a maximum of 3.75".

In one forum (not FoMoCo News) a Ford insider hinted something is coming and it is all good but couldn't say anything more due to want to keep his job, and it related to an overhead cam V8 :twisted: .

7ltr DOHC VCT Ford V8, now that is something I would like to see.

Re: Insideline: News on '09 F-150

The truck will launch in the fall of 2008 (as a 2009 model) with:
4V DOHC PFI 3.7l V6 (about 280 ft.lbf at 2000 rpm) (not sure about transmission)
3V SOHC PFI 4.6l V8 with 6speed auto (Explorer combo - 292 hp and 300 lb.-ft)
3V SOHC PFI 5.4l 6speed auto (Expedition combo - 300 hp and 365 lb.-ft ) - likely with somewhat more power than this (about 325hp and 380lb-ft)
NO BOSS ENGINES

2009 1/2 Model (Februaury 2009) will add:
2V SOHC PFI 6.2l V8 BOSS engine (iron block, aluminium head) with 6speed auto (425hp)

2010 Model (fall 2009) will add:
DOHC 4.4l Common Rail Diesel with CGI block (315hp and 520 lb-ft)
4V DOHC TT DI 3.5l V6 - Twin Turbocharged Direct injected (Twin Force - 350hp, 380 lb-ft at 2000 rpm)

2011 or 2012 model will add:
4V DOHC TT TIVCT DI 6.2l V8 - Twin independent variable cam timing, twin turbocharged, direct injected (Twin Force - over 650 lb - ft)

My sources are better than Edmunds' .. and I posted this before they did .. in short - their source confused the BASE v6 and 6.2l v8 availability with the TWIN FORCE availbality for those engines

The truck will launch with the 3.7l V6, the 6.2l V8 will be 6 months late, and the Twin Force 3.5l V6 and the Diesel will be 12 months late.

Igor

Who knows how true this is, they are all rumours until Ford officially releases details.

Another rumour website link, as any Wiki site is far from facts LOL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XC 1/2 Fairmont Wagon

NSW, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:

Pete.

Do you mean this engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine ? The Boss (renamed Hurricane because of Katrina) should be replacing the modular v8, but it's not pushrod. Is there another v8 they're going to use with pushrods?

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:07 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

kircher wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

Pete.

Do you mean this engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine ? The Boss (renamed Hurricane because of Katrina) should be replacing the modular v8, but it's not pushrod. Is there another v8 they're going to use with pushrods?

That's sounds like it but they said pushrod when I read about it. Of course this was all speculation and the pic I saw looked decidely like a Hemi.
I've asked the question from one of my sources at Ford...I'll see if I get response?

Pete.

Post subject: Update from Cars Guide
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

From cars guide
Quote:
Jaguar's V8 engine will run the next-generation Ford Falcon.

The hi-tech 5.0-litre V8 will be introduced in 2010 a year that is shaping as a boomer for Ford Australia with the first facelift of the Orion Falcon, the switch to V6 engines in Ford's family fighter, and the likely introduction of the next-generation Territory.

There is a good chance 2010 will also bring the first diesel engine to the Falcon and Territory, a 2.7-litre powerplant already in use in Europe. The good news on the V8 front comes as Ford Australia confirms plans to axe its existing 5.4-litre V8, which was standard in the G8, Fairlane and LTD and optional in a range of other Fords, including the Falcon ute.

The Jaguar V8 is a new all-alloy design that was developed for the upcoming XF hero car, which is a make-or-break model for the legendary British luxury brand.

The new Jaguar V8 will be available both in naturally-aspirated form and with a supercharger and the basic bottom line is 375kW. It will be the hero engine for the XR8 Falcon and will also be used in the fliers from Ford Performance Vehicles.The move to the Jaguar V8 is part of a shift prompted by the end of production of the existing 5.4-litre engine.

Ford Australia imports the engine from the Essex plant in Ontario, Canada, which has been steadily phasing out the engine.

Locally, the engine was known as the Barra 220 or Barra 230, depending on the application, with the number reflecting its kilowatt output.

Still, Ford will continue with the part-locally assembled, four-valve twin-overhead camshaft version of the same engine in its Falcon XR8 and FPV models. The three-valve V8 was optional on the base-model BA Falcon from 2002, replacing the ancient 5.0-litre Windsor pushrod V8.
But Ford's Broadmeadows factory has had little use for the engine, according to Ford Australia's president Tom Gorman.

“Quite honestly, we were down to about 10

a month and it's not a major impact on our business,” Gorman says.

“They've actually ceased production in the US and, as you know, we're ceasing production on our long-wheelbase cars.”

Gorman says Ford has enough remaining

V8s stockpiled to meet demand in the long-wheelbase cars until production of the Fairlane family in a few months.

MEMBER 1390

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]