Fordmods Logo

beginers help 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: beginers help
Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xy gt rep

VIC, Australia

hey guys im not gona lie to you, im only 16 and im inlove with all the fords from the 67-72 range and my father is an x drag racer and a A grade mechanic he use to own a 55 chev 2 door with a 427 chev in it. anyways to my question we have a 1971 zd fairlane siting in the shed with a 351 clevlend. it is completly standard but needs alot of work, the inside is perfect but the outside needs new paint (my uncle is a panelbeater who dose cars so a lil help there) it also needs work done to the engine and gearbox and diff, its been sitting in the shed for about 5 years but i start her up every now and then to keep her going, i had her going tonight. anyways i was just wondering do you think this car is worth putting my saved up car money into so i can have this fairlane. it would take all my car money to get her ready and i dont no if i should or not because if i get caught with a 351 on the road + a 650 cfm carb i have, i will get into trouble and i dont no wat the consaquences are. anyway i can either pik to get this baby looking good and risk getting caught or maybe i can buy like an 68 xr 289 or somthing instead. wat do u think i should do, alot of jobs we can do because my father is a mechanic with a workshop. and wat is the penalty for being caught with a 351 on ur P's? has anyone ever been caught in this site? any opinions or advice would be great. thanks guys and hopefully ill c u on the street in a couple of years, cheers

smoke em

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

if ya get busted, she's only got a 302 under the bonnet.........

what kinda $$ do ya have?

Banned

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Big cars dude....especially for a 1st car. And they use a lot of juice. But they are pretty pimpin

If i were you, i would put in a 302 and hide all your 351 bits inside it (as long as the engine number belongs to a 302, you should be sweet). Paint it black/wild violet, chrome rims, bit of a stereo, fluffy dice and go pick up chix bro. Fully sik stylez

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i will have around $7000 or $8000, and the car is curently maron but is in desprate need for a new paint job, im thinking of doing it a draker purple or even maybe a black becuase its easier to do it a darker couler, dose any1 have any idea gow much a ok paint job is these days? undercoat and couler. and could i just take off the engine plate and say its a 302?

smoke em

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Engine number is stamped on the block

Black is a real pain, it shows up all panel imperfections. To go back to bare metal, and remove any rust and dings in it, figure about 7 grand. Thats purely dependant on the condition of the shell.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i dont think i will end up having enoughf $$$ in the long run for my first car :( but my uncle is a car painter and panel beater so that might help? um the car has a straight body with a tiney bit of rust that can easily b boged and panelbeated it is marone and do u think it would look ok if i darkend it? made it a really dark puple couler? it also helps a lot that my dad is a A grade mechanic and noes alot about these cars but u no dads they want u to by land n stuff

smoke em

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Have a look around this site young fella

http://www.grandtourer.com.au/public/re ... EntityID=5

Should give you an idea of what it takes to make a REALLY nice car. Then you can also look at some of the cars for sale/have been sold and get an idea of what it must have cost

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

hey thanks mate. alot of people dont listen because im 16 n they dont take me seriusly but i actully take cars very very serisly and cant wait to 18, thanks alot for u help, cheers uv been very helpfull

smoke em

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I can remember what it was like to be 16 dude...im only 20 myself, and have just pretty much bought a XY Fairmont, 351 etc to restore myself

Only other bit of advice is to read as much as you can. Get familiar with as much about these cars as you can, there is a lot of people out there who will take advantage of your youth and rip you off. It still happens to me.

Good luck

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

old_mate wrote:
I can remember what it was like to be 16 dude...im only 20 myself, and have just pretty much bought a XY Fairmont, 351 etc to restore myself

Only other bit of advice is to read as much as you can. Get familiar with as much about these cars as you can, there is a lot of people out there who will take advantage of your youth and rip you off. It still happens to me.

Good luck

Bloody sound advice that - and yes the young people almost get ripped off with cars as muchh as women with cars imho, ive had many give me crazy prices and they are suprised that i know what i should be paying!
:idea:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

yeah i no thats y i will get my dad to do the barganing, and i am planing to get the fairlane out tomorow night and clean it on friday, and i will take a few pics and i can show u her if u want? add southy_11@homail.com and i can send them 1 day, thanks

smoke em

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

The ZD was one of the best looking Fairlanes of that era. But it weighed a lot and a V8 was a must to be able to move that barge around at a decent speed. If the kw output of the C351 works out under the 120kw per tonne rule then all you have to worry about is insurance and petrol money.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

iv already researched that and the car weighs around 1520 kg and has about 216 kw. i dont think it is leagle for me on my P's any ideas wat to do?

smoke em

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Contact vic roads and ask them for sure, otherwise, drop the 351 crank and rods into a 302 cleveland block.....or, just throw in a good 302 until you have a bit more confidence with driving. A stock 351 aint nothing too outrageous, but as i found out the other day, they can be a handful in the wet if your not careful

Mate, feel free to send me some pics

garthmakela@optusnet.com.au

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Well if it's over the maximum then perhaps consider making it a slow project so that by the time you are off your P's, it will be ready to go.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next