best cam EF V8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: best cam EF V8
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

the time has finally come to start on the 1996 Ex-Chaser EF V8, I've got the XR-8 snorkel, pacemakers and it goes in for a single sports exhaust tommorrow, car is to low for a dual, now I'm looking for a good Cam to drop in, I figure I'm probably overdue for a replacement camchain, 140000kms, so I may as well do Cam and lifters at the same time, last time I did an engine up it was a 1600cc capri donk and Torque/Economy were the buzz words, what I want to know is what's the recommendation these days for something with a nice lumpy beat but drivable everyday that can be handled by the stock computer (or whatever the police spec computer is) as I haven't got hte cash for a new ECU

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I asked similar question at www.cammotion.com
There reply was...
This is what we would reccomend:
Grind # X2161-12+4
Dur @ .050 216 intake and exhaust
Lift 531 intake and exhaust
Lobe seperation 112
Intake centerline 108
Thank you, Carolyn

What I told them it was auto 1600 kg 3.45 final drive 9.o to 1 comp with rev range from 1200 to 5500 rpm..So any figures around them would be great...A 2031 would be alittle much ???

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks for that, but the numbers don't really mean to much to me, I guess what I want to know is if there is like a couple of standard cuts, something like sports, or torque, street etc, that are suitable for everyday driving but also enhance the engine, besides the cam the internals will be stock for now.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR8(EF) & XR8BOSS290 Ute(FG)

NSW, Australia

The fordmotorsport E-303 cam works well with an auto.
but there are heaps of other grinds by other companies. You've got to have a think about what your rev range is.

I had a B-303 cam when mine was auto and practically stock, but I had to raise the base idle a little. That had a really lumpy idle (my mates were envious of), if lumpy is what your after.

What do you mean by ex-chaser, is it an XR8 or what ?

:idea: BTW, I have a stock EF XR8 cam sitting in the garage as well as a B-303 cam in a motor sitting in the garage available, one of them has to go, as I will only need one for the motor I will be selling :!:

Better off with not enough traction than not enough power.

Last edited by AXR88U on Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hmmm.... is this a V8 GLi? Very rare automobile.

Just FYI - 140,000km on a windsor V8 is nothing at all really. Have read on these forums the double-row timing chain is good for a couple hundred thousand kms (but if you're gonna pull the motor apart you may as well!!).

The ECU should be able to take a fairly radical cam as the air is measured by mass entering intake as opposed to manfild vac...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

AXR88U wrote:
BTW, I have a stock EF XR8 cam sitting in the garage as well as a B-303 cam in a motor sitting in the garage available, one of them has to go, as I will only need one for the motor I will be selling :!:

how much would you be willing to part with the b-303 for??

Luke

They say people don't believe in heroes anymore. Well damn them! You and me, Max, we're gonna give them back their heroes!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Dam, thats the one I would have to pull out of the motor.

Well it cost me about $500 new from Southside Ford in queensland (that was the only svo place I could find around back then). So I imagine it would have to be worth around the 200 mark.

Rob.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The B-303 sounds like what I'm after, I have a thing for lumpy V8s, I'd make you an offer, but given the other statement that the chain should still be alright then I don't really see the need just yet, it'll give me time to save for a bit more fun to go into it.

My car is an ex WA Highway patrol car, the compliance plate shows a code "OPT20", which is option 20 as far as I can tell, and that means police pack or so the ford guys tell me.

Dunno about rarity of it, but what I know is, it is an Auto GLi V8, I believe it has XR8 running gear, has a larger than standard alloy tailshaft, LSD, every oil cooler you can think off, even powersteering cooler, the dash has all the guages like the futura etc, not just the stock GLi gauges, I have fitted a XR8 Momo wheel, cruise and trip computer, as well as a XR8 Intake snorkel, a set of pacemakers and a sports muffler and tailpipe went on today.

It's pretty much tame compared to some on this site, but it's got potential, don't suppose anyone knows the whole truth about Ex-chasers/ cop cars, ie the ECU chip and any other goodies, what specs the engine would be etc, I do know it's not speed limited :twisted:

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

go to the 'off topic' forum - fuzion has started a thread which should answer all your questions about ex-chasers like your one! :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
Dunno about rarity of it, but what I know is, it is an Auto GLi V8,

Yeah mate, quite rare. I looked into it and there were 126 EF Futuras made with V8 engine - pretty sure GLi even fewer.

Quote:
It's pretty much tame compared to some on this site, but it's got potential, don't suppose anyone knows the whole truth about Ex-chasers/ cop cars, ie the ECU chip and any other goodies, I do know it's not speed limited :twisted:

There's a thread started by fusion that goes thru the OPT20 police pack options. I imagine yours would be the same but with that luuurvly V8 in it (probably most notable is the fact that gears arent meant to change into 4th before 60km/hr - but that may just be the 6 cyl).

Just FYI - these engines, when looked after will go for a long time. Mr Landau here in SA has an NL fairlane with 550,000km on the clock and engine still going strong. Mine had already done 165,000km when i bolted the supercharger on and she still doesnt miss a beat.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys I'll have alook at that thread, the WA police must have got them on special, cos I bought mine a week after a guy I worked with got one the same :!:

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

znipa-x wrote:
thanks for that, but the numbers don't really mean to much to me, I guess what I want to know is if there is like a couple of standard cuts, something like sports, or torque, street etc, that are suitable for everyday driving but also enhance the engine, besides the cam the internals will be stock for now.

ANY of the alphabet cams is too agressive!!! Hell go 2031 before you with them! The E cam is 220/220 and to top it off has 110 bob centre which makes it very peaky and rough idle...Even Ford recomend Hi stool or manual...The B cam is even older with more agresive timing...These cams go well with carbs but not too good without decent inlet system and some ecu tweecs...Yes I have an E303 cam here you can buy too but it won't work too well...Send an email off to Cammotion or take those specs I posted above to Crane, Wade cams [Wade especially they sponcer this site] and they'll grind one for you.Talk to them !!!!... Any cam more than 118 inlet is getting agresive and efi won't work too good....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Last edited by EBXR8380 on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

[quote="znipa-x"

The std roller cam followers will be fine, inpect and clean though..They don't really wear that much...Nor does the steel camshaft, good thing about roller cams....

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NL 347, Landau

SA, Australia

2031 cam for 1.7 rockers
2030 cam for 1.6 rockers
Both cams are pretty similar in specs and will go quite well with a 5.0 - and give you a little more room to move when you start doing a few more mods. The 2030 is slightly more aggressive than the 2031 but can be used with satndard ratio rockers.
Shane

Weapons of choice
1998 NL Fairlane by Tickford 033
1996 NL Fairlane Ghia 347
1992 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0
1974 Landau
1974 LTD

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I had mine running a B-303 with an auto. I thought with that one it could probably do with a bigger stally, but only so it didnt bog down so much off the mark, other than that it ran fine and a hell of a lot better than stock. Although it did go a bit better after changing the MAF as well. But as for the E303......................

:idea: This is straight off the ford racing website, I only get the impression that it may be a lttle rough on the emissions side of things:

M-6250-E303

Good idle quality. Excellent low- and mid-range power. Power through 6000 RPM. Emissions legal with 5-speed manual trans (E.O. #D-225-16). Works good with automatic transmission. Great for superchargers. (3)

M-6250-F303*

Slightly rougher idle than E303. More mid-range and top-end power than E303. Great for superchargers. 5-speed manual transmission recommended. (3)

M-6250-B303*

Fair idle quality. Good low-end torque. Significant top-end horsepower above 4000 RPM. 5-speed manual transmission recommended. (3)

M-6250-X303*

Ultra high performance camshaft. Fair idle quality. Big time torque and horsepower maker-up to 6200 RPM. 5-speed manual transmission recommended. (3)

M-6250-Z303*

“CamZillaâ€￾ the biggest and baddest camshaft Ford Racing offers. Fair idle quality. Big time torque and horsepower maker—up to 6500 RPM. 5-speed manual transmission recommended. (3)

NOTES:
(1) On EFI engines, performance camshafts work only with mass air induction systems. Will not work with Explorer EEC-V EFI. See pages 100-101.
(2) Also fits 1994-95 351W with factory roller cam when used with mass air EFI.
(3) Stock 5.0L HO cam advertised specs are 266°/266° duration, 0.444"/0.444" lift.
(4) May require piston modification for piston-to-valve clearance. Valve clearance should be checked.
(5) Requires valve spring pressure 120 lbs. close 340 psi open and may require longer pushrods.
(6) Duration figures in shaded area at 0.050" lobe lift.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next