Fordmods Logo

Block girdles? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Block girdles?
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Okay I have a question about the block girdles that folks have been fitting in their engine rebuilds. I have constantly read here and many other forums in America that say that the girdle really just holds all the pieces of the stock block together after it has lunched itself and that it is good for nothing else.
Is that true?

If that's the case then why bother other than to re-use parts that haven't been damaged when the block goes bang?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Post subject: Re: Block girdles?
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I'll watch this with interest.
Even if all it does is protect your rotating assembly if you do lunch the block, I'd say it's worth the investment.
Leaves a bit more money for that DART iron eagle :lol:

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Last edited by Steady ED on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

Thats all they are good for, to keep all the seperate parts together. Main girdles work somewhat, but the block girdles, just rubbish.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

when you talk about block girdles, you are referring to the ones they flog stateside that go in the valley 347stroker?

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yes, thats the ones, just rubbish, because they only stop the block from seperating at right angles to the crank, but in actual fact, the block walks so to say, and the decks actually work in non parallel to eachother, meaning bore 1 is lower than bore 4, bore 5 higher than bore 8, imagine a twisting force upon the block. Lige how you would turn a rubix cube. There is no diagonal support in the block girdles at all.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

So there is a structural benefit with an installed girdle in that it stops the block flexing under load. Does it extend block life if the power output you have is not high enough to split the block anyway?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Vic wrote:
So there is a structural benefit with an installed girdle in that it stops the block flexing under load. Does it extend block life if the power output you have is not high enough to split the block anyway?

I have never heard of a block girdle that works, although main girdles seem to, and I have one fitted to my engine. I could not see how it would prolong block life when it does nothing to stop the block basically diagonally flexing.
Just keep your rpm to a sensible (7200) rpm in a stroker, maybe a little higher, and all should be ok.
I know the T Series guys were splitting blocks in the production series, but they were late model factory blocks copping the bejeezus, I guess you have to expect some componants to fail in those conditions.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I am running an early 69 block, and dont forsee any dramas with getting 500 odd hp, and 7200 rpm all day.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: xlsv8ute

SA, Australia

steadyeD, have you ever seen a block break with girdle in place? and then re-use the rotating assembly in another! WTF :roll:

go the CROWS

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

chrisredden wrote:
steadyeD, have you ever seen a block break with girdle in place? and then re-use the rotating assembly in another! WTF :roll:

Nope, and I never said it would either mate, I have absolutely no idea, hence why I was watching with interest.

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

347stroker wrote:
Vic wrote:

I have never heard of a block girdle that works, although main girdles seem to, and I have one fitted to my engine. I could not see how it would prolong block life when it does nothing to stop the block basically diagonally flexing.
Just keep your rpm to a sensible (7200) rpm in a stroker, maybe a little higher, and all should be ok.
I know the T Series guys were splitting blocks in the production series, but they were late model factory blocks copping the bejeezus, I guess you have to expect some componants to fail in those conditions.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I am running an early 69 block, and dont forsee any dramas with getting 500 odd hp, and 7200 rpm all day.

Quite a few engine manufactures are using block/main cap girdles now, so as to have a lighter engine block, but stiffer to cope with it beign so light. A full alloy engine ( long motor) 4 cyl 2.4lt Toyota 2AZ engine weighs only 93 kg ( with pallet). The sump is also used to stiffen the block.

Attachments:
Toyota 2AZ  4cyl engine and new engine 003.jpg
Toyota 2AZ 4cyl engine and new engine 003.jpg [ 560.96 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
347stroker wrote:
Vic wrote:

Quite a few engine manufactures are using block/main cap girdles now, so as to have a lighter engine block, but stiffer to cope with it beign so light. A full alloy engine ( long motor) 4 cyl 2.4lt Toyota 2AZ engine weighs only 93 kg ( with pallet). The sump is also used to stiffen the block.

Yes, I see what you are saying, but we are not comparing apples with apples. A factory designed, incorporated from day 1, like the alloy big and small block motorsport blocks have are slightly different.
These most definatley work.....

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I started on making one for a 351C, but never finished it. I was making it from Bisalloy (spelling).

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

On a Clevo if you wanted support then convert to 4 bolt mains.. The webbing is big enough ....Unlike roller Windsors

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 35 images

Ride: xy fairmont

WA, Australia

my 393 clevo is stronge enough not to have a gerdle although i have one on my top end to lock all my rollers into place so i dont have to keep adjusting them , money well spent if you ask me now i only have to check them every 2-3thousand k's

Attachments:
web pick9.jpg
web pick9.jpg [ 196.99 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]

If you have it under control then you dont have enough power..
There is no replacement for Displacment..

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
On a Clevo if you wanted support then convert to 4 bolt mains.. The webbing is big enough ....Unlike roller Windsors

When you look at the webs in a Clevo, you can see they had intended them to be 4 bolt mains, but a girdle can only help. Same as having an external girdle on an auto tranny, like a C4.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next