Fordmods Logo

BOSS 290 - how much HP with these mods? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ba xr8 auto

WA, Australia

ba xr8 is 190 to 195 of the show room floor with the gt at least another 15 to 20 on that and yes alot of tuners use the dyno dynamic shoot out mode as you can live edit as well as just do power runs it dont matter how you measure it as long as its accurite holdens use the same dyno dynamics tuning so it works out very even

Holy Crap what was that, that my son was BLACK LIGHTNING!!!!!!
boss 260 with BPT motorsport tune helix tower power spacer C.A.I kit 25% under drive kit cat back twin 2.5" exhaust 250-260kw at the rears

Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

EB V8 wrote:
gt-cobra wrote:
they have been able to extract about 270 to 280 kw at the rears with all the mods and a custom tune that includes injectors and everything i have menioned if your after quick quarter mile times u can get a hi stall from a place call blue power racing on the east coast they have developed a hi stall for the boss engine otherwise a race set of underdrives is the cheaper wayout the boss engine if held at 3000rpm for to long will go into a protective labour mode but they have over come this problem and edited the soft ware thus they can use a histall and do away with the underdrive kit if your going the hole hog invest in a new billet steel oil pump gears bptmotorsport sell and fit these as the factory oil pump is very weak and u will end up with big problems. the tune alone will give you around 20 to25kwatr plus all the other bolt ons so you could end up with at least 225 to 250kw atr

Dont bet on it. Ford have a funny way of workin out kw. Also I bet those numbers are Dyno Dynamics shootout (s**t) mode.

I think it's actually Holden that have the funny way of working out power...

In a recent Aussie shootout in Motor mag, the BOSS290 made more power at the wheels than a 300kw GTS Coupe.

As for the mods, those headers and exhaust alone have made a dyno proven 20kw gain.

With that combo, I would be expecting 280 at the rears.

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Who cares about dyno numbers anyway.. go out and see how quickly it gets down the quarter mile. For what it's worth though I'd say at least 350kw and lots and lots of torque.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ba xr8 auto

WA, Australia

fnp wrote:
Who cares about dyno numbers anyway.. go out and see how quickly it gets down the quarter mile. For what it's worth though I'd say at least 350kw and lots and lots of torque.
to get 280 at the rears youll have to spend at little bit of money first exaust and hi flow cats, then cold air induction, throttle body upgrade to and 80mm and a helix tower power spacer to match the trottle body, a race set under drive kit 25% under driven if an auto or a 10% if manual as the clutch cant handle the torque of the 25% , up grade the injectors, a power pipe to replace the fatory one that goes from the top of the filter box to the throttle body and a custom tune once everything is installed might want to replace the oil pump with a billet oil pump gear set just to keep everything from melting that sould see you pretty clos eto the 270 280 rwKW

Holy Crap what was that, that my son was BLACK LIGHTNING!!!!!!
boss 260 with BPT motorsport tune helix tower power spacer C.A.I kit 25% under drive kit cat back twin 2.5" exhaust 250-260kw at the rears

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Twinturbo it the boss will love it.

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I just had my BA MK II GT 6-spd manual dynoed at 282.4 rwkw with 600nm. Mods done :- Full S/Steel Exhaust, SS CAI, BMC Air Filter, Power Snorkel, Powerstat and Flash Tuner Edit. The car has incredible pulling power compared to stock and the sound coming out the exhaust is awesome. Future Mods :- Oil Pump Gears, Clutch & Flywheel, Underdrive Pulleys - perhaps a cam - it's not KW I am chasing it's NM - but this will get me over 300 rwkw - I would really love 700 - 750nm though. :D :D

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

what do oil pump gears do?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

As the power of your engine increases it places a lot of pressure on the oil pump gears which has the potential to fail.

The lubrication system of the 5.4L engine is designed to provide optimum oil flow to critical components of the engine through its entire operating range. The heart of the system is a positive displacement internal gear oil pump generically known as a gerotor pump.

It is a well known fact in the Ford modular world that the O.E.M. pump gears are just not up to the task when required to operate with engine outputs beyond factory specification. The O.E.M. gears are manufactured from sintered metal which are prone to cracking and finally disintegration resulting in oil pressure loss.

Effectively these oil pump gears are a direct replacement for the factory oil pump gears - it is really an investment in protecting your engine. All the people I have spoken to on the subject tell me that if you put a set of underdrive pulleys on the car (which can cause a slight harmonic distortion) then you should for the sake of $600 or so strengthen the oil pump gears to ensure no nasty accidents.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2