Fordmods Logo

Boss 290 Problems !?!?!?!? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Boss 290 Problems !?!?!?!?
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:09 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems, or has mates who have had or are having problems with their Boss 290 FPV Motors, computer or similar??

I am talking oil consumption, oil leaks, dash warning lights, rough running, fuming, break down, build quality issues anything for that matter.

I am just trying to establish how common problems are, and what problems people are having, I have had some warning lights on the dash come on randomly, and some associated rough running, a mate of mine is having worse trouble with his FPV 290 ute, while someone at a car show last night hinted that one of his mates is having major dramas with an FPV GT40, but refused to elaborate any further.

This same thread has been posted on several other Ford Forums as well just to get some feed back on this, as I have a personal interest in these issues being a FPV 290 owner.

Any other Boss or FPV feed back good and bad would also be apreciated and is more than welcome, keep in mind this is a fact finding mission, not an excuse to bag the crap out of any manufacturer, dealer or make!!!!

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

You're having problems but you don't want ppl say you've bought a lemon aye?
auto or manual?

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:09 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Manual car, I personally have had no problems with my car apart from some warning lights....but I would like to know if there are things I should be aware of before I start modding the car, at this stage I am unwilling to touch anything till I know all the facts.

A mate of mine just had his FPV driver training day, and the motor used all the oil by lunchtime, ie no oil indicating on the dipstick when he checked it after lunch, I have my driver training day coming up in a few weeks...

Still waiting on FPV to get back to him re his oil consumption problems!

So if anyone has any experiences let them be known so others can learn or be warned about it.....

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

BA or BFll?
I can't remember where I've heard it but there was a guy who had a 03 FPV GTP with issues such as stalling, chain rattle & very high oil consumption caused by faulty batch of rings.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I'm told the oil pump gears are a bit fragile in those motors particularly if you have underdrive pulleys.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:42 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

fnp wrote:
I'm told the oil pump gears are a bit fragile in those motors particularly if you have underdrive pulleys.

Have heared that as well, they sell billet ones for a crazy unrealistic price, ie a $10 part for hundreds of $$$

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Slick wrote:
BA or BFll?

BF GT 07 model....only done about 1000k's so far, but had some engine warning lights flash up, been in contact with Ford they will look into it...

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

i think they have a bad problem of oil pooling in the plenum ....the herrod agent over here sells filters to intercept the oil in the vacumn lines i think not too sure

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Its a pity if there are so many problems seeing as the boss 290 engines are hand assembled.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

A friend had an 04 V8 ute that had oil problems and ford endup giving it a top end rebuild under warrenty. Not sure what the excact problem was though.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:08 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

smiley235 wrote:
Its a pity if there are so many problems seeing as the boss 290 engines are hand assembled.

Someone suggested it might be computer related but not sure how this would affect oil consumption.

Not really sure there are many problems, on several ford forums where I posted this no one really has come forward and said that they have had problems, its always a mate of a mate type stories, so may be these are all good, time will tell I guess......

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]