Fordmods Logo

BOSS 335 GT Runs 12s 

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: BOSS 335 GT Runs 12s
Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: egas bf xt

NSW, Australia

True for the turbo 6's, but did they understate the 8's? I can see why they'd want to avoid cannibalising sales of the 'most powerful' models they offer in the case of F6 vs GT, but in this case i can't see why they'd deliberately be modest, especially given the headroom they have for improvement.

I can see through wooden doors.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 97 el falcon

VIC, Australia

:o
that sounds crazy :D

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

The two separate dyno readings

The 12.9@114 was achieved on its second run by a magazine editor who hardly ever drives a manual and hadn't had the car for long, not a professional who's had lots of time in the car. Don't make the mistake that everyone else has of assuming that a Boss 335 won't go faster.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 & EF Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

haggis wrote:
True for the turbo 6's, but did they understate the 8's? I can see why they'd want to avoid cannibalising sales of the 'most powerful' models they offer in the case of F6 vs GT, but in this case i can't see why they'd deliberately be modest, especially given the headroom they have for improvement.

maybe they dont want to push the power figures too far and cause a "horse power" scare like that of the '70's.
thats the last thing any of us want!

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:25 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
Yep, it's more than unexpected... it's suspicious. The cynic in me says that Ford have provided a upgrade tuned car for journo test driving etc. If that's the actual case and I had that particular car and I knew how to download that engine tune, I'd be selling that tune for $$$ to new FPV owners.
Everyone we've asked has assured us that this is not the case.
Additionally, we did check what the boost was through the power runs, and it looks as though the boost gauge in the car is accurate. The GT sees as high as 9.1psi in the mid-range, while the GS topped out at 7.5psi. They both taper off as the revs climb, the GT to just over 7 on some runs (although it managed to sustain just over 8 on a few), the GS to 4.3 or so.
Additional, additional; CHE have sucked/captured/bin-dumped the tune so it can be compared to the first customer car they get.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

fairmont v8 ghia wrote:
maybe they dont want to push the power figures too far and cause a "horse power" scare like that of the '70's.

I follow your meaning here but just wanted to note that there are so many much faster and more powerful vehicles on Australian soil these days ( read; exotic imported supercars ) that if s**t was genuinely going to hit the fan over a powerful new production car on our roads via the media, then Ferrari and Lamborghini etc etc would probably lash out at the media and claim scaremongering for ratings.

sam12h wrote:
Additional, additional; CHE have sucked/captured/bin-dumped the tune so it can be compared to the first customer car they get.

Hehe, so both yourself and CHE have considered the same thoughts as myself and perhaps others? :wink:
Anyhow, hopefully it's a legit standard tune that all production FPV's will have and that Ford have finally pulled their finger out and released a proper sports car instead of playing it safe. One day I may even be able to afford a second hand one of these and enjoy the experience.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 & EF Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Vic wrote:
fairmont v8 ghia wrote:

I follow your meaning here but just wanted to note that there are so many much faster and more powerful vehicles on Australian soil these days ( read; exotic imported supercars ) that if s**t was genuinely going to hit the fan over a powerful new production car on our roads via the media, then Ferrari and Lamborghini etc etc would probably lash out at the media and claim scaremongering for ratings.

i know there are many faster and more powerful cars on the road, but how many are around a similar price range, there wouldnt be that many. and the government only really want to stop the masses not the minority.
i couldnt see any backlash coming from any supercar company such as ferrari or lamborghini, because at the end of the day, the cars they produce are very expensive and not available to the average motorist. and what influence would the australian government have on a foreign company? i think very little, where as a local company there would be a large amount of pain for any non-compliance with any crap that a government legislated against.
maybe they just want to underestimate the power so when HSV think they are close, they are still miles behind.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I think marketing is playing a big part here.
HSV GTS makes 325kw with a 6.2L, so FPV has marketed this as having an extra 10kw over them but they've realised it would take more than that to make them competitive because of the extra weight of the GT, the skinnier tyres (FFS put some 265s or something on already), and the way the 6.2 delivers its power.
If this motor had a genuine 335fwkw it would still be slower than the HSV counterparts...

I cant wait to see this run a mid, even low 12 1/4 mile, stock...

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

fairmont v8 ghia wrote:
haggis wrote:

The Miami/Coyote engine is the kind of leap forward that the LS1 was about ten years ago. About all a "225kw" VT2 5.7L needs to make more like 300kw (engine) is an exhaust, a cam and a tune.

The best thing about all this is the LS1 boys are now spouting on about how power isn't everything and the E series is 'better' in other ways.

Last edited by sam12h on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
fairmont v8 ghia wrote:
sam12h wrote:

Hehe, so both yourself and CHE have considered the same thoughts as myself and perhaps others? :wink:
Anyhow, hopefully it's a legit standard tune that all production FPV's will have and that Ford have finally pulled their finger out and released a proper sports car instead of playing it safe. One day I may even be able to afford a second hand one of these and enjoy the experience.

We're simply looking to eliminate the doubt that some still have.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

fairmont v8 ghia wrote:
maybe they just want to underestimate the power so when HSV think they are close, they are still miles behind.

I'm going to go along with that train of thought. 8-)

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

In the US, same engine, minor mods is producing 800hp at the flywheel. Yank's don't quote RWHP. If you average the GT's RWKW you get say 330RWKW. Does this mean allowing for 25% lost on the drive train we have 440FWKW? 800RWHP roughly converts to 600KW, meaning with few call to the good ol US of A and some airfreight you will have a car punching 600RWHP or rough conversion 450RWKW. Times are going to get interesting that is for sure. Remember these Aussie runs are with a 1.9L Eaton Charger. Eaton developing a direct bolt up upgrade, 2.5L?

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

The 114mph trap speed (and 1940kg with Roy in it) points to something like just over 500hp at the fly', at least that's what it used/needed to get to that speed. There are lots of theories as to why it read so high on even the second dyno, but the Boss 335 has AT LEAST 375kw, which is still 40 more than is claimed.

Yes, a 1.9L unit is tiny for an engine that makes this much power. A larger unit (with an intercooler) will surely see these motors make A LOT more power. :twisted:

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=142516

GS Model, pulled 266.3kw....

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

You need to be a member to view that link.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next