Fordmods Logo

BOSS V8 Problems 

Page 8 of 9 [ 125 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: DF LTD

SA, Australia

yeah but there is still a fair few cases occuring,its not a fault with the rings it just comes down to lack of maintenance.As a lot of XR8's get driven hard, they need frequent oil changes, because of the tight tolerance of today engines, the smallest particles of carbon can distort piston rings

'95 DF LTD - 18inch LWT wheels, Aunger snorkel, lowered 2'', 2'5inch cat back exhaust with magnaflow muffler, DBA slotted front rotors

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:39 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

For sure. But I remember FPV actually changed what type of rings they were using.

As with any engine, don't look after it, and it won't last.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: bf xr8 ute & 67 fastback mustang

Power: 294 rwkw

SA, Australia

My bf xr8 ute jambed the rings in the piston and scord my bore . have they changed the service schedule yet to help fix this .

DRIVE HER STRAIGHT SIDEWAYS

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:52 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Nope still 15K, with an optional 7500 oil change. You should really do this yourself anyway. No need to pay Ford uber-$ for an oil change.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:40 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8

NSW, Australia

i change mine every 5 thou with a oil flush but she still has this annoying ticking what is it? was told purge valve or injectors the car is moded and sometimes tick will go away after oil change but will come back after the first time i open it up and will hang around till the next oil change any ideas?

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

This is all a bit scary for those of us who would like to buy a second hand XR8!

If that first oil change was at 15,000+, who knows what sort of grenade you've bought a few years down the track? :?

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

nah mate they are a great car great performance great all round where does common sense come into things especially the way cars get treated these days ppl should know that oil should be changed every 10 thou and how to do the minor maintanece!!

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

both the 5.6 and the 5.4 are great motors each in their own respect. I would much rather own a TS50 though because in another 10 years they will be worth more than a mk2 BA XR8, and have awesome low end power. which is what I personally like. Considering Ive seen ts50's for sale around 27-30k (auto-manual price) they are a pretty schmick car for the money. biggest plus is the handbuilt engine... just to name a few bits:

The 5.6-litre V8 is built at Tickford using a modified “Windsor” block, an all-new crankshaft, ported cylinder head with high performance springs and valves, billet machined connecting rods, lightweight pistons with fully floating pins, a revised camshaft profile, an 82 mm diameter throttle body, three-piece high flow inlet manifold and conical air cleaner with dedicated mass air flow (MAF) sensor.

check out this guys site for a clip of the exhaust note of one with a custom exhaust.

http://www.nz440rt.com/TS50.html

700 rwnm with exhaust and stealth tuner (540 rwnm @ 1500 rpm)!! you cant tell me a boss can run with that...

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

after oil changes it goes and comes back you say? if it's a deep sounding tick it could be a gummed up lifter.wat type of oil are you using?

'95 DF LTD - 18inch LWT wheels, Aunger snorkel, lowered 2'', 2'5inch cat back exhaust with magnaflow muffler, DBA slotted front rotors

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i have heard of the word sticky lifter have anyone else? but yeh thats whats happening last time i used mobil 1 fully syn10 30w it has been like this for years took it back to ford years ago and they said it was purge valve and injector tick it sounds exactly like a gas stove igniter tick thats the best way to describe it and gets louder when car is hot . any help would be great i know that it is a recuring problem with some boss motors

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

xrsteve wrote:
i change mine every 5 thou with a oil flush but she still has this annoying ticking what is it? was told purge valve or injectors the car is moded and sometimes tick will go away after oil change but will come back after the first time i open it up and will hang around till the next oil change any ideas?

my 5.6 is the same and it pi**es me off. happened under warranty and they replaced a rocker a**. and it was all good. Now its full on again a few years later. I replaced the rockers with adj. ones
(yella terra again, rebuilt) and replaced all lifters with new roller lifters and had them adj and readjusted. My opinion is that the yella terra are not up to the task. I always thought of them as poor mans performance parts and I reckon its a prime example. (please no pro yella terra guys getting upset this is just one opinion) I will eventually replace the roller rockers with another brand and if it fixes it I will throw the OEM brand where they belong.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

louder when it gets warmer normal indicates a valvetrain noise...i'll have a look at work on the ford intranet, maybe find a TSB for this kind of thing, seems to be a reaccuring problem

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

thanks look forward to finding out what i can do to fix it

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

ok this exact type of ticking sound happens in my boss motor from passenger side on start up and is there for around 5 minutes of driving until its warm, what could this be lol.

its not tensioner noise cos i have that from same side for 1 second on cold start up now and again.

wat could it be?

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:34 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

paulhowes wrote:
xrsteve wrote:

my 5.6 is the same and it pi**es me off. happened under warranty and they replaced a rocker a**. and it was all good. Now its full on again a few years later. I replaced the rockers with adj. ones
(yella terra again, rebuilt) and replaced all lifters with new roller lifters and had them adj and readjusted. My opinion is that the yella terra are not up to the task. I always thought of them as poor mans performance parts and I reckon its a prime example. (please no pro yella terra guys getting upset this is just one opinion) I will eventually replace the roller rockers with another brand and if it fixes it I will throw the OEM brand where they belong.

ive also come to this conclusion after various lifter preload checks ...found a couple of soft lifters
fitted a new set of ford racing lifters and it still sounds lika sewing machine..... im just gonna turn the radio up

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 9  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next