Fordmods Logo

BOSS V8 Problems 

Page 4 of 9 [ 125 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

got thse figures thru before & after testing when fitting parts, 30% is what sort of loss you would get thru an older less efficient drivetrain, but I believe that engineers have reduced those numbers quite considerably.
But I wont argue with you about power curves, thats why ford used the 6 speed gearbox which is a 5 with overdrive, simply to keep it within its curve ,the rest is up to the driver to learn to get it down on the tar which is a problem with the BA!

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

MR XR wrote:
I have not heard of a BOSS throwing a timing chain yet. They do respond well to mods, but of course turbos are better in that department. The main things to watch for/upgrade when doing mods on a BOSS are the Oil pump gears and Timing Chain Tensiors (which i think you maybe thinking about)

is this expensive to get changed the tensioners and oil pump gears

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:37 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

If possible the timing chain tensionsers are a warranty issue - so free.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

Walker wrote:
kenny wrote:
BA-BF XR8 figures are around 208-212rwkw actually! thats without headers, powerstat, or phenolic spacer ¬ even a sports filter...
how much does all that cost, & put it into a BA watch th results!

I'd love to know where that figure came from, the avg loss through drive train is usually around 30%.
But, i have no doubt that Mocks dyno would give you 210 at the rear on a stocker.

would have to agree walker. although the argument will never be won as we are discussing a very unreliable source - the dyno.

mate of mine got his dyno'd stock with cat back and got 225rwkw. he then added power pipe from airbox to t/b, 2nd cold air intake and capa flash tune and got it dyno'd at another place and made 210rwkw and yet bummometer told him he definitely hadn't gone backwards.

unless all cars get done on same day and same dyno, you can brag all day long about how much power you have but it means very little to me as they are too easy to fudge. the above results were both run in shootout mode as well!!

my eb doesn't even crack 180 and yet i can run with boss's, xr6t's gen3/4's (stock of course!).

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

kenny wrote:
maybe stock...... but to get the windsor to go much better without a realy good cheque book, the windsor is just a good "boat anchor" even this task is a little out of its league!

whaaaat!!! the only reason the bosses respond to mods more compared to the windsors is because they have longer rods

they should make truck loads more torque being longer stroke....but nothin happens till 4500 and at 6500 when the beutiful 4v heads start workin its all over because the piston velocity is too great

why didnt they supercharge the 4.6 and use that its an awsome motor???

my 5.0l 175kw farmont makes more torque than a 290 boss at 3800rpm (considerably lower) weighs 90kg lighter and uses less fuel.......and thats basic mods done in my garage.....and the motor hasnt been out of the car

you cant even fit headers without removing the boss motor????

so WHOS got the BOAT ANCHOR :roll: :roll: :wink:

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

You CAN fit headers on a BOSS without removing it.

Don't know where that myth started.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

I been in a lot of fast 302 windsor but they all have been carby ones, I've never experience a "fast" injected windsor, even the ones that clam to make over 200rwkw(I'm not saying their not out there, just few and far between).

Now I love my old windsors, but after owing a 260 boss I have to say its my pick of the V8's. Mines making 260+rwkw without ever having the engine removed and it doesn't need to be revved to 4500 to make good power, but it will happily spin to 6300 rpm with no dramas.
Its my everyday work car, and I do alot o K's in it. With a 60/30 split of city/highway driving I average 13 L per 100k's. On a highway trip it will use a bit less then 10 L per 100ks.

I understand why you guys love your windsors, but I really think the boss engines are on a different level.

btw. Pump gears and timing chain tensioners cost about $1200 fitted. Give Craig from Aussie Car Enhancements (ACE) a call.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el falcon

Power: 608 rwkw

WA, Australia

imo they are a good engine. very reliable and constant. they sound awesome too.

my dads ba mk1 has done over 80,000 from new and has not had 1 single problem with the engine or the car.

# 1997 EL Falcon GLI - 600+rwkw

# 2008 FPV FG GTE - Xa Coilovers, 20x8/ 20x10 Fairladys

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Ours is making a rattle that sounds like timing chain around 2000rpm it's worse when cold and sometimes completely goes away when warm. The dealer reckons it's normal, as they do about everything to do with warranty so they can fob you off until the warranty is gone. The diff cones have wound up...the additive they put in it worked for about 2 weeks...shock horror...no really?!?
As for heads being different....they're not. they all have the same heads...only the cams are different.
The car is going in tomorrow...I'll let you know the results.

Pete.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

There is a dealer service bulletin out about the timing chain noise and the replacement tensioners to the metal kind over the original plastic type.

If he has trouble getting them replace I'll try and find the actual bulletin number he can quote next time.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

^ I'm sure that'd be handy for everyone.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Nothing like Ford V8 fans fighting amongst each other over different motors made by Ford. Stop squabbling and be thankful that there are still Ford V8s around.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Ghia 5.0

SA, Australia

james22 wrote:
My "little windsor", has more power than a stock BA-BF XR8. Approx 261 kw at the fly (201.3 rwkw), and unlike the boss which has no balls down low. I lay rubber the second i hit the gas. And it is still un opened and has cost me SFA to get it there.

Now you have my attention. Please elaborate- I'm interested in how you got those figures without opening the motor.

Mike

EF Ghia 5.0 - XR8 in a tuxedo....classy, low and loud

Bordeaux Purple, Tickford kit, slammed, 18" BA XR8's, EL Ghia chrome, full leather, Pioneer audio, C&C, ABS, LSD, Crane cam, GT40P heads, high flow cats, Genie extractors, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights!

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: xr8 no.3 Au3 Ute

QLD, Australia

the last of the plastic tensioners were in 03, all 04 cars and onwards are metal tensioners. meaning if u dont have extended warrenty u wont get the tensioners done under warrenty. the only rattle u should really get with the plastic tensioners is on cold start up. i've not yet seen 1 noise due to the tensioners at any other time. have replaced a few myself, its a fairly big job, but nothing too difficult. as for the pump gears, cant say i've heard of that, doesn't mean it doesn't happen but. i have seen multiple boss 260 and 290 engine s**t no.5 big end bearing. but each one i've seen has oil pressure, just a s**t quality bearings. another common problem is welch plugs in the heads leaking. but all in all the boss motor is great imo.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've got a late 04 XR8, one of the first MKII's, it had the plastic tensioners in it. I've seen photos of the oil pump gears broken, and with the rev limiter raised in mine its really cheap insurance getting them done..

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 9  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next