Fordmods Logo

BOSS V8 Problems 

Page 5 of 9 [ 125 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: xr8 no.3 Au3 Ute

QLD, Australia

late 04. hmm ok i was sure that early04 the problem was fixed. will look into it tomorrow if i get a chance

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:51 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Well guess what....they put an additive in the diff again and said if it does it again they will replace the diff. What's funny is the service guy tries to tell me that it means I've got a good tight set of clutches in the diff. I said "that's a neat trick, considering they don't have clutches!" Then he started back pedalling saying most people don't understand when you talk about cones!? I said don't confuse me with most people mate.
It's like the Titan fraud head mechanic trying to tell me that 5.4 DOHC engines have VCT!?!...instills confidence doesn't it?!?
Anyway the damn thing wouldn't rattle so they couldn't really do anything about that unless they cold soaked it overnight but, I did discuss it with one of the mechanics(and this guy had his head screwed on right) and one idea was that it may be the one way bearing in the alternator making a rattling sound on the overrun(although I'm sure I tested for accessory noise by removing the belt last time) or possibly even a cat heat shield. So well get it on hoist when cold and check this out.
Otherwise it's a great car to drive and I creamed an LS1(sounded modfied too...or maybe that was piston slap :wink: ) on the way to the dealer 8-) He did the typical boat anchor driving sore loser trick of flying past after I was back down to the limit again. I pointed at him at the lights and giggled and he looked very upset :lol:

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

banarcus wrote:
Nothing like Ford V8 fans fighting amongst each other over different motors made by Ford. Stop squabbling and be thankful that there are still Ford V8s around.

hear what your sayin mate ...just hurts hearin the motor you love bein called a boat anchor :evil: .....especially when compared to one that has so much potential if they had only used an oversquare block....instead of the truck block.
the chevs would be wimpering now 8-)

i was hopeing ford had this new v8 ready for the new falcon :?
which proves the fact the boss was always gonna be a stop-gap measure .

not baggin the boss......just want to see ford on top 8-) .....and they never will be with the boss in its present configuration IMO

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

V8 Ghia Mike wrote:
james22 wrote:
My "little windsor", has more power than a stock BA-BF XR8. Approx 261 kw at the fly (201.3 rwkw), and unlike the boss which has no balls down low. I lay rubber the second i hit the gas. And it is still un opened and has cost me SFA to get it there.

Now you have my attention. Please elaborate- I'm interested in how you got those figures without opening the motor.

Mike

dunno wat you guys are talking about no talk down low i got manual xr8 and if i take off normal then just floor it it skates to the limiter then 2nd gear not changin hard into 2nd and it will keep skating to the limiter now if that is no talk f**k you guys must have top fueler motors in ya cars

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:39 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

You can tell the people that don't drive BOSSes.

480nm from idle in 3rd is nothing to sneeze at. If the ZF would let me pick something other than 1 or 2 from a stop I'm sure you'd be able to drive off in 5th.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

data_mine wrote:

480nm from idle in 3rd is nothing to sneeze at. If the ZF would let me pick something other than 1 or 2 from a stop I'm sure you'd be able to drive off in 5th.

thats interesting considering the boss 260 makes 500nm@ 4000.......either its got a really flat curve ......or a really high idle :wink:

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

I agree with you data_mine, there are plenty of guys that only read Motor magazine and haven't experienced a boss powered falcon but on the other hand, there are new converts to Ford that diss out the older ford V8s. I have a little windsor and a boss in the shed. I love them both.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Power: 248 rwkw

SA, Australia

Ive got an 03 xr8 with cappa box and blue power air box everything else stock including exhaust, these are the figures 249.5rwkw and
316.9@flywheel cant wait till the exhaust is done ! anyone had there
exhaust done by kpm motorsport in s.a.

As Ned would say " Such is life"

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:58 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

fairy v8 wrote:
data_mine wrote:

thats interesting considering the boss 260 makes 500nm@ 4000.......either its got a really flat curve ......or a really high idle :wink:

Mine's a BOSS290 and modded.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA MkII XR8 and XE Sedan 351

NSW, Australia

My dad's MK 2 BA XR8 6 spd is a great car to drive, It only has a cat back exhaust and a K&N air filter.It really gets going at about 4000rpm, shame about the rev limiter kicking in so early! Compared to some XR8's i drove at the Ford dealership i used to work at,it almost feels like it has gotten better with age, some i drove with only 30000km
's on clock drive like pigs...Vito.

BRING BACK THE CLEVELAND!!!

My daily driver-1995 EF Falcon 5 speed 4lt
My project car/weekend warrior-1982 XE Falcon with 351 clevo power,new target is Sydney Powercruise!!
Now wrecking-1989 EA Falcon s-pack 5 speed CFI

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:25 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Yeah the BOSSes take a long time to loosen up.

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

banarcus wrote:
I agree with you data_mine, there are plenty of guys that only read Motor magazine and haven't experienced a boss powered falcon but on the other hand, there are new converts to Ford that diss out the older ford V8s. I have a little windsor and a boss in the shed. I love them both.

I drove an RDP modded BA XR8, running the 4spd auto, and it had more low down torque than my AU XR8 has, the only problemm with the BA IMO is the weight and diff issues

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xr8

NSW, Australia

what is it with stupid people that have all the comments on the boss motor?. and they never driven one or if they had it was probably a dud.i have a 03 ba xr8 340 fwkw and never had a ounce of trouble my mate has a ls1 and cant touch me pull away from him in 1st and just keep going . Had a few races with the xr6t's and beat four out four that i have raced .yes they are alot cheaper to make more power out of when you keep chucking boost down there throat!. And to be honest was about to buy xr6t and trade they 8 in but when i took 3 for a test drive my misses said it does not pull you back half of what the 8 does but thats my opinion backed up with abit of evidence stick with the 8 my friend the reason the call it the boss BECAUSE IT IS!

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Well I drive a BAGT and a 351w Falcon and a 351C Falcon and frankly the BA does lack some real bottom end but I don't expect a 4valve per cylinder, small bore, relatively small displacement engine to be able to cut it against a 2 valve per cylinder,large bore,large displacement engine.
I still love driving it but it should have had a larger bore spacing and therefore bigger bore and a shorter stroke to achieve greater displacement then it wouldn't have such a massive rotating mass that could rev higher and faster....something a 4 valve head really needs.
A 3V 5.4 is a much better use of the base engine.
The DOHC engine should have had stronger rods and pistons from the factory and a 7000rpm redline.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Funny thing is even the little 5L is a car length quicker all the way to 120kmh. By the time the BOSS gets its finger out of its a*** its all over.

Long live the windsor!!!!! The only Ford V8 that will ever set foot on my drive might be the HURRICANE in 2010.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 9  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next