Fordmods Logo

Changing from I6 to V8 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Im running a 3.23 (as Daniel noted, this ratio standard on 8s, even the XR8 i think, only XR6 got 3.45, which is why the little buggers were so quick).

3.23 is a pretty good ratio. Not as lazy as the 3.08

LSD of course? Hehehe, im running 250 odd kilowatts from my engine and pumping it through a single spinner..... lol. No problems.... Unless its wet....

You must of forgotten then that it's wet in hobart more often than it's dry! :D

So you also think that the 8'd be fine running on the 3.45LSD? Being an LSD and pretending that tyres and size are equal, the 3.45LSD would grip as much as the 3.23 single wouldn't it?

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

the XR8's came standard with a 3.45:1 lsd as well.
i think the EB XR8 was the only one that had a 3.27:1 in it.

The price quoted earlier on in this thread is pretty much right
allow about 3 grand for the motor & auto and about 5 grand if you want a 5speed. things like a exhaust and fitting would be extra.
i would allow about $1000 - $1200 for fitting

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Im running a 3.23 (as Daniel noted, this ratio standard on 8s, even the XR8 i think, only XR6 got 3.45, which is why the little buggers were so quick).

3.23 is a pretty good ratio. Not as lazy as the 3.08

LSD of course? Hehehe, im running 250 odd kilowatts from my engine and pumping it through a single spinner..... lol. No problems.... Unless its wet....

You must of forgotten then that it's wet in hobart more often than it's dry! :D

So you also think that the 8'd be fine running on the 3.45LSD? Being an LSD and pretending that tyres and size are equal, the 3.45LSD would grip as much as the 3.23 single wouldn't it?

Well if you plan to do diff before hand, get the 3.45LSD out on an ef/el xr8, its worth it and would suit the v8 fine, my FBT has EL XR8 diff and its heaps good.
What time frame you seriously looking at doing this in if you dont mind me asking?
Reason is im sure if you have "time" you could hunt down some stuff seperately if you have some of the cash on you for a better price - as i say it pays to shop around n keep your eyes n ears open! :wink:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Daniel wrote:
What time frame you seriously looking at doing this in if you dont mind me asking?

I've got time to shop around and that. I'm buying a motorbike first, and doing the diff first, so I'd aim to have the conversion done by this time next year... Which is why I want to do the diff first to give the car a bit more go while it's still an I6.

Are I6 and V8 diffs the same? Also, what about suspension, can the V8 run with the I6 suspension? I'll eventually upgrade all the suspension components aswell...

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Diffs are the same AFAIK and you will find your i6 susp will cope with the v8, however it will sit a bit lower n feel heavy at the front with the i6 springs in there untill you upgrade.
The v8's arent THAT much heavier that you will absolutely require v8 springs to begin with, put it that way :P

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EFII Fairmont Ghia 5.0

QLD, Australia

I got a 94 V8 Fairlane from a damaged vehicle auction for $1900. A lot cheaper as u get everything needed.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Diffs are the same AFAIK and you will find your i6 susp will cope with the v8, however it will sit a bit lower n feel heavy at the front with the i6 springs in there untill you upgrade.
The v8's arent THAT much heavier that you will absolutely require v8 springs to begin with, put it that way :P

I was planning on upgrading the suspension to new decent shocks (those Koni Adjustables or KYB's or what ever people recomend) and Whiteline sway bars, and then just keeping the current stock springs (as I can't lower the car due to the current drive way). Then by the time the conversion is done the new garage and driveway should be done and I'd put lower springs in.
So if your fitting King Springs into your car, there's different ones depending on I6 or V8?

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: R33 GTS-T

VIC, Australia

the front springs are different to account for the extra wieght of the V8 engine

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

But AFAIK there are no different part numbers for after market springs such as kings. Hmmm, maybe explains why mine sits so dang low.... :oops:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
But AFAIK there are no different part numbers for after market springs such as kings. Hmmm, maybe explains why mine sits so dang low.... :oops:

LOL!
I was told King do have different part numbers for the 6 and 8; maybe them ae lieing to me! :evil:

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Is it true that the V8 engines for the EF/EL (GLi's and Futuras) only put out 165kw's? That's pretty pissy isn't it? Like the XR6's almost achieve that much.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha, yep!
Id suggest looking for an el xr8 engine if you can find one, 185kw is a bit better starting point than 165 hey! :wink:

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Is it true that the V8 engines for the EF/EL (GLi's and Futuras) only put out 165kw's? That's pretty pissy isn't it? Like the XR6's almost achieve that much.

Yeah the 165kw is a bit of a teddy bear.

Just remember tho - kw means jack s**t. I have dyno graphs if you'd like to see - the 6 cyl is rather peaky, the windsor gets kw up early and holds them there.

Late EL XR8 engines will have 185kw (i.e. EL XR8 II). Probably not an easy find. EF and early EL XR8 has 170kw thanks to exhaust design.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Just remember tho - kw means jack s**t. I have dyno graphs if you'd like to see - the 6 cyl is rather peaky, the windsor gets kw up early and holds them there.

Late EL XR8 engines will have 185kw (i.e. EL XR8 II). Probably not an easy find. EF and early EL XR8 has 170kw thanks to exhaust design.

A mates dad has a 1989 Holden VN Berlina 5.0L V8 automatic wagon. He's had it since almost new, barely ever drives it because he has a company car, and it's just his pride and joy. Now it's stock, and when ever I'm at his house and were really bored we hope in it and go for a quick spin around the bloke, upuntil my formal (when I went in an R33 turbo syline spinning the wheels in 3rd gear with flames out of the exhaust - not sure how I landed up in it, I was drunk and he gave us a lift or something), this was the quickest car I had ever traveled in (it's single spinner on 15" so it struggles for traction). So my car has to be quicker (as he's busy buying the car off his dad), that's about enough speed for me, well for the moment anyways.

If the EF and early EL XR8's got the extra 5kw's from the exhaust, the engines are therefor the same as the GLi's and Futuras right? I'm going to have Pacies and a 3" sports exhaust fitted straight away.

O, for the single exhausts on the 8's, do you have two cat converters, one after each side of extractors, or do you only have one cat converter after the Y pipe?

Say I got the 165kw engine, running on 17" wheels and a 3.45 LSD diff, it'd likely be quicker than the VN right? (both auto wagons).

Also, what are underdrive pulley sets? Is this some common upgrade for V8's?

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
If the EF and early EL XR8's got the extra 5kw's from the exhaust, the engines are therefor the same as the GLi's and Futuras right? I'm going to have Pacies and a 3" sports exhaust fitted straight away.

Correct. Same compression etc. probably some minor differences in EEC, i.e. a more agressive tune for the zorst. Yeah pacies and the rest will make a great improvement and give you a pleasing engine note.

Quote:
O, for the single exhausts on the 8's, do you have two cat converters, one after each side of extractors, or do you only have one cat converter after the Y pipe?

Spot on mate. 2x manifolds into 2x cat into y-piece. The main difference with the XR zorst is that it remains twin until the rear of the car, where it forms one pipe.

Quote:
Say I got the 165kw engine, running on 17" wheels and a 3.45 LSD diff, it'd likely be quicker than the VN right? (both auto wagons).

Who knows? The holden 5.0L VERY similar to the Windsor in stock trim. Look up the weight figures. Short diff will help you but remember holden will have shorter 1st gear.

Quote:
Also, what are underdrive pulley sets? Is this some common upgrade for V8's?

Come in various configurations but basically slow your altenator, water pump, p/s, a/c etc. which reduces the amount of parasitic drain these devices place on the engine. More kw left for the wheels. Fairly common as one of the cheaper mods for the windsor.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next