Fordmods Logo

Changing from I6 to V8 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Changing from I6 to V8
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I was originally interested in turboing the I6, but there'd be a lot of insurance hassles and that. So I was just talking to Mom and she's been trying to get me to save up for a new car, she suggested I save up for a V8 or something, just to try and encourage me. Anyways, that got me thinking, why not convert the wagon to an 8, I mean it can't be that hard can it?

Can anyone tell me what's involved and that? I don't want to do it myself, I want to have a workshop do it, and I'd be willing to take the car interstate to have it done (especially/preferably Sydney as I've got accomodation with Family there).
From a guess it'd be an ECU, engine and transmission change (o, I don't care weather or not the new set up is manual or auto). Any ideas on prices, is there more involved?

Reason why I'd convert it instead of selling the current car and buy a V8 one is because my car being an extaxi isn't worth squat, but I plan on doing a bit to it, and I'm happy with the rest of the car, so it'd probably work out cheaper to convert...

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

O, and I relise that there are other, extra costs, such as getting V8 extractors, a larger exhaust, upgrading the L.p>G. system for the larger capacity engine.

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Sorry, my posts don't have an edit option on them, hence why I'm just making post after post isntead of editing the original.

What diff ratios do the E-Series V8's use, I was wanting to convert the wagon to 3.45 LSD soon, but this might be too high with the V8's extra torque would it just wheel spin a lot?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

basically you would have to replace most things under the bonnet, if u bought a v8 wreck you would be right.
if you do it i would be more than willing to help u put it in

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Rapier wrote:
basically you would have to replace most things under the bonnet, if u bought a v8 wreck you would be right.
if you do it i would be more than willing to help u put it in

I think transplanting engine is a bit beyond my capabilities, I mean replacing the transmission in the wagon was hard enough! But cheers for the offer. I reckon it'd be hell cool to get the wagon with an 8 in it. I'm not after speed in my car, just something different (that's why I was thinking turbo as that'd be very different for a family wagon)... Can't say that I've seen to many V8 E-Series wagons though, heaps of V8 COmmo wagons though!
Also, are the V8 engines in the E-Series all basicly the same?

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

nah i wouldnt put the engine in it, but the things that take mechanics time like the electrical stuff you could do , save u alot of cash anyways

Post subject: 6 upgrade 2 v8
Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 31 images

Ride: G6E TURBO

NSW, Australia

if its a wagon conversion yeh go 4 it as u would be serching for ages 2 find 1 as they r rare as rocking horse s**t but keep in mind u may need 2 get the car engineered depending on state regulations but i wanted 2 do the conversion but i thought it would be easier and cheaper buy a car with a v8 already in it as these hold there value compared to 6 and no touch & go with looms and upgrading of fuel system like regulator,engine mounts,loom,auto box or T5 and of a*** lsd & ABS but in the end its $$$ that brings things 2 reality

MEMBER 1390

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EBII 220kw Tickford powered.

ACT, Australia

Sorry, but can't remember what E-series car you have.

If it is an EA you will need engineering cert to fit an 8 into it.

If you have an EB or later it will not require engineering.

And it is best to stay within the "model" of your car too.

If it's an EB-ED, get the matching conversion.
If it's an EF-EL, get the EF-EL conversion.

The reason for this is purely compatability with the wiring harnesses.
EB-ED are one style and setup, EF/EL are totally different. Matching them can be done but it is a hassle.

Trust me on this, mine is an EB shell, EL wiring and AU motor. Car was stripped and then EL wiring put in, and adaptor harnesses made to fit the AU engine and ECU harness.

As for needing a wagon conversion, I doubt you will need to get a wagon conversion. From the "B" pillar forward the cars are exactly the same within models.

The car should be called "Frankenstien". EBII GLi skeleton, AU T2 220kw heart, AU2 brain, EF/EL for everything else.

"Bitza" Member 28 on FORDMODS v1.0 Joined 28-04-2002
"TS50EB" Member 300 on FORDMODS v1.1 Rejoined 6-11-2004

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

My car is a 1994 Ford EF Falcon GLi. Glad that I won't need a certificate to do the conversion!

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

s**t mate, it's a big job. Best off getting a front cut i say.

The computer is different but you'll be upgrading to sequential injection (f**k doo). This will require the loom to be replaced. Gearboxes are different. If you intend on remaining automatic they have a seperate trans control module (i.e. auto not controlled by EEC in a V8).

Can get complete motors, all auxillaries and computer/loom for around $3k. Try ebay.

Id suggest an AU engine as they are much more powerful than e-series and you'll be replacing the loom/ecu anyways, but im not sure how well it would get a long with body electronics and smartlock etc.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

AU motor would be a expensive conversion you would need to wire all the smartshield up into the EF (big$$$ if you cant do it yourself) we have sold many EF and EL V8 conversions fairly simple job takes a few days to do it.
engine crossmember , radiator & fans remain the same, you keep the original diff & tailshaft. just drop the motor & auto in and start changing some looms and add the auto computer .even the fuel pump is the same.

I could arrange for it to be fitted in VIC if required

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

a mates dad has a white el wagon 8 cyl, its a slug stock but its rare to find, his is the only one ive seen!
That aside id say do it and do it in melb or syd if you can - also id try n get everything out of an xr8 inc. diff while ur at it!
all v8's came with a 3.23 diff std. and no the 3.45lsd wont spin crazy unless u want it to so that should be heaps fine!
Btw: your lucky your mum tries tp push you into getting a v8, most would be the other way id rekon due to the perception of v8's being "dangerously powerful" lol. :roll:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
AU motor would be a expensive conversion you would need to wire all the smartshield up into the EF (big$$$ if you cant do it yourself) we have sold many EF and EL V8 conversions fairly simple job takes a few days to do it.
engine crossmember , radiator & fans remain the same, you keep the original diff & tailshaft. just drop the motor & auto in and start changing some looms and add the auto computer .even the fuel pump is the same.

I could arrange for it to be fitted in VIC if required

That is awsome, just the reply I was after! Any chance you can give me some prices so that I can start saving?

Also, what diff ratios would people run with the EF/EL V8? LSD of course. As a daily driver.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Daniel wrote:
a mates dad has a white el wagon 8 cyl, its a slug stock but its rare to find, his is the only one ive seen!
That aside id say do it and do it in melb or syd if you can - also id try n get everything out of an xr8 inc. diff while ur at it!
all v8's came with a 3.23 diff std. and no the 3.45lsd wont spin crazy unless u want it to so that should be heaps fine!
Btw: your lucky your mum tries tp push you into getting a v8, most would be the other way id rekon due to the perception of v8's being "dangerously powerful" lol. :roll:

Well I told her I wanted a turbo and she went mental about insurance and that broguht me back to the real world! So the V8 is a compromise really.

I'm not really worried about the speed of the car, I mean the 8 would be faster than my I6 I'm sure. I'd obviously straight away put a new C.A.I., extractors and exhaust. Also having a 3.45 LSD it'd be quicker than most stock EF/EL XR8's wouldn't it?

O, I'm planning on doing the diff before I do the 8 conversion.

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Also, what diff ratios would people run with the EF/EL V8? LSD of course. As a daily driver.

Im running a 3.23 (as Daniel noted, this ratio standard on 8s, even the XR8 i think, only XR6 got 3.45, which is why the little buggers were so quick).

3.23 is a pretty good ratio. Not as lazy as the 3.08

LSD of course? Hehehe, im running 250 odd kilowatts from my engine and pumping it through a single spinner..... lol. No problems.... Unless its wet....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next