Clevo cooling probs, PROBLEM UPDATED 10th APRIL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Clevo cooling probs, PROBLEM UPDATED 10th APRIL
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Take out the xe for a bit, warms up to bout half and the thing keeps goin up to almost popping point, rad is full as is the overflow, im told the standard fans dont cut it, but to boiling point?
Cheers

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Last edited by Felony on Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EB XR8, NA Fairlane

SA, Australia

Probably have a blocked Radiator dude.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: xf wagon

VIC, Australia

maybe check thermstat or head gaskets.
check fan belt is tight. nothing restricting airflow
to radiator?

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

if its the viscous type fan check to make sure the clutch is working properly. also the lower radiator hose can suck in when driving if the internal coil has rusted away causing the flow to be restricted. radiator flushing may help but best to have it done professionally. also faulty .head gaskets can cause over heating.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

will a compression test show up a blown head gasket? as there is no oil in the water or vice versa...... it still goes ok not great but ok.....
Cheers

Succesful trades with bentles_eb, Pane, chunkz, xr8_dismantler, OBS35N, mrnasty, Steady ED, voxace, Mash85, ovo616, ef biff, lukey, dazza2924, Seannyb, gunit18, jkk, Tocchi,

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Your problem description is way too loose.
Does it do it just idling or driving as well, there are a thousand questions.
Taking your loose description first warm it up with the radiator cap off and check to see the thermostat is opening as well as checking the water temp at the radiator with a thermometer. If the radiator is colder than the engine when your temp guage and motor are really hot and/or water keeps fountaining from the radiator then your thermostast is malfunctioning. If the car cools down when driving light load 80kp/h and heats up in traffic then 90% air flow problem. If it heats up even more on freeway look at water pump blocked radiator, bottom hose sucking in. Head gasket can be checked by radiator guy checking for exhaust gasses in cooling system. Some good starting points for you there, if you convert to later model fans then check out Just Parts magazine there is a mob in there that advertise brand new twin fan setups with cowling for around $250. Hope some of this helps.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks i will check some of those things tomorrow, bit more info though is that it just heats up whether its idling or on the move, taking it over 80 kays brings the temp down a lil bit, will replace thermostat and bottom hose and flush it out then add some coolant and see how that goes, does anyone know how many litres a xe 302 would take in the cooling system?
Cheers

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

OK the the update is......... emptied radiator, hosed out radiator and block until all brown s**t was gone, flushed with nulon rad flush, put in nulon coolant, ran the engine, b**ch wanted to heat up to the point where i just stopped the motor as it started to smoke ( NOT HAPPY ), so after all that i come to the conclusion its my water pump? does this sound about right, also the thermostat appears to be doing its job, all im left with is the pump.....
Cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i had this problem, i fitted twin thermos and the problem is solved, but the radiator could do with a replacement in the near future.

you seem to have the same problem as i did.
do you have a shroud around the fan?
if not that could be your problem.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah i have a shroud, and its not cracked or broken either, im a bit muffled by this, thats why i have just put it down to water pump...
Cheers

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Pumps for them are cheap enough anyway compared to some cars so just replace it anyway. Did the radiator get boiling hot too or just the motor. Water pumps can cavitate and cause dramas when worn, grab the pulley and see if there is any up and down movement. Sounds silly but make sure you have not got low oil pressure due to blockage as this will overstress the process too.

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

a blockage of what? the needle is up over 3/4 on the oil gauge anyways
Cheers

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

a blockage of what? the needle is up over 3/4 on the oil gauge anyways, so i assume oil pressure is fine,
Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]