Fordmods Logo

clevo's . . . how much do you know about em 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: clevo's . . . how much do you know about em
Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1994 XG

NSW, Australia

i recently read an aricle i found linked from a fordmod forum and found very interesting ( http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/engines.html ). . . only thing i dont know and couldnt find out was,

how do i tell if i have 2v or 4v head on my 302 because unlike the 351's the 302 doesnt have 2 or 2. or 4 or 4. printed onto the corner of the head.

also how do i tell if they are open or closed chanber,(without physically removing them) i know ford painted them differant coulours on the 302 when they came from the factory but when i bought my engine they where painted the same colour as the block

if anyone could help me out this would be great

just for the record its a standard-stocker-rebuilt-ready-to-be-run-in 302 cleveland "square block"

just thought id throw this in, READ THE ARTICLE ON THE LINK ABOVE, its a very good artcle and very useful with a write up on 302's and 51's clevelands

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

No 302 was ever fitted with 4V heads unless it was a Boss engine.

You can't check the chamber without removing the cylinder head. There is no other way. 302's came factory with 2v closed chamber heads.

Most people misinterpret 4V. Ford has two definitions.

1) 4V big port cylinder head fitted the GT's.
2) 4 Venturi manifolds/carbs fitted to 351's XB/C/D/E.

XB Fairmont sedan 11.07@123.02mph

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:36 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Pursuit 250

NSW, Australia

Do a compression test as the closed chamber heads were a high compression version, take the pressure and check with the manual.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

oh ok

rito, so wot about the carby, its a carter thermo-quad is that the standard carby im almost 100%sure it is

but i want to know would it most prob be a four barrel or wot? see i dont know much about carbies hey,

if i order a holley do i need a differant intake manifold or is there an adaptor i can get to go between the manifold and the carby or does it just gop straight on

so let me get this strait when i order my extractors i get ones to suit 2v heads right?

i really appreciate all this advice guys im only new to the v8 scene so every lil bit helps.

but yer my main query was just the heads on the 302. so they are most likely closed chamber 2v heads . . . right?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Adaptors are available to fit a holley onto a clevo valley cover.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

smithy_141 wrote:
oh ok

rito, so wot about the carby, its a carter thermo-quad is that the standard carby im almost 100%sure it is

but i want to know would it most prob be a four barrel or wot? see i dont know much about carbies hey,

if i order a holley do i need a differant intake manifold or is there an adaptor i can get to go between the manifold and the carby or does it just gop straight on

so let me get this strait when i order my extractors i get ones to suit 2v heads right?

i really appreciate all this advice guys im only new to the v8 scene so every lil bit helps.

but yer my main query was just the heads on the 302. so they are most likely closed chamber 2v heads . . . right?

Yup 2v extractors. XD 302's all had 4 barrel carbs. Most of those have now found their way onto other X series engines.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

oh rito, sweet. so if im lucky i could prob find a four barrel of an xd or would it be better just gettin a holley or other similar type top of the line carby?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

smithy_141 wrote:
oh rito, sweet. so if im lucky i could prob find a four barrel of an xd or would it be better just gettin a holley or other similar type top of the line carby?

It's an XA right?? XA and B's had a squarebore manifold that a holley bolted right upto without adapters. A mate has one on his 302 from his XB coupe.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

yes its an XA fairmont, but it currently has the 250 six cylinder in it

so i dont know wot type of manifold the 302 has becos i couldnt tell u wot car or model it came out of i bought it of a guy in sydney, four hours drive from me so i ant really go over and ask him wot it came from, haha,

but yer anyway IF it has the sqaurebore manifold it will bolt straight on right?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

if it's the sqaurebore one. Yes bolts right on. In an XA you can run any carb you like. No pollution requirements on XA's.

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

When I had the 302 motor built for my old xc I played with a few holleys but found the best carb was a 780cfm thermoquad from a 351 xd

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Sorry the carb was 850cfm not 780cfm

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

thermoquads overfuel the engines. The feel like they are giving a big kick but thats only because the primaries are tiny and the secondarys are massive almost 3-4 times the size of the primaries. Generally a car fitted with a thermoquad spews fuel out the back @ WOT (wide on throttle).

Squarebore carbs are the best on clevo's. I've spent many hours on the dyno with various carbs. Also dispelled the myth that double pumpers use more fuel than a vac sec.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

brenx wrote:
No 302 was ever fitted with 4V heads unless it was a Boss engine.

You can't check the chamber without removing the cylinder head. There is no other way. 302's came factory with 2v closed chamber heads.

Most people misinterpret 4V. Ford has two definitions.

1) 4V big port cylinder head fitted the GT's.
2) 4 Venturi manifolds/carbs fitted to 351's XB/C/D/E.

the 2V and 4V thing can be tricky one here in OZ.

in the states the 2V heads all had 2 barral carbs. and the all 4V headed engine had 4 barral carbs.

ford australia are the only one to fit 4 barral carbs to 2V headed engines

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

brenx wrote:
thermoquads overfuel the engines. The feel like they are giving a big kick but thats only because the primaries are tiny and the secondarys are massive almost 3-4 times the size of the primaries. Generally a car fitted with a thermoquad spews fuel out the back @ WOT (wide on throttle).

Squarebore carbs are the best on clevo's. I've spent many hours on the dyno with various carbs. Also dispelled the myth that double pumpers use more fuel than a vac sec.

It all depends on how you set any carby up if you have the time and patience you can set up a thermoquad very well and get good economy BUT parts can be a problem at times which is why most people go for holley. :roll: :D :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next