what should the compression of a stock 302 win be
also what is a wet test in relation to compression and what does it do

power

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

8.9-9.0:1 ,wet test checking the volume of the combustion chambers with fluid (CCing the heads) to be done with plugs & valves in obviously
to work out the comp ratio work out the cc' of 1 cylinder divide that by the volume of combustion chamber +volume of head gasket +valve reliefs in pistons. hope that makes sense to you.

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

i think the wet test you are refering to is when you check the compression with a compression tester guage, thru the sparkplug hole, by turning the motor over (with the coil lead disconnected) to get a reading of the pressure in the cylinder, then you squirt a bit of oil in thru the hole and check again, if the reading is higher then this generally indicates your rings are worn, the oil provides a better seal around the rings and helps them seal better temporarily to give you the higher reading. but remember even if your rings are good it will still give a bit higher reading, but you will notice it dramatically if the rings are shot.

when you first check (dry) i think from memory it should be around 120-150 psi, anyone correct me if im wrong.....

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

yobboford wrote:
i think the wet test you are refering to is when you check the compression with a compression tester guage, thru the sparkplug hole, by turning the motor over (with the coil lead disconnected) to get a reading of the pressure in the cylinder, then you squirt a bit of oil in thru the hole and check again, if the reading is higher then this generally indicates your rings are worn, the oil provides a better seal around the rings and helps them seal better temporarily to give you the higher reading. but remember even if your rings are good it will still give a bit higher reading, but you will notice it dramatically if the rings are shot.

when you first check (dry) i think from memory it should be around 120-150 psi, anyone correct me if im wrong.....

You guys are talking about 2 differant things. Kenny is refering to measuring the volume of the combustion chamber with a liquid (usually water) to calculate the compresion ratio. This is done with the heads of the engine.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
yobboford wrote:

You guys are talking about 2 differant things. Kenny is refering to measuring the volume of the combustion chamber with a liquid (usually water) to calculate the compresion ratio. This is done with the heads of the engine.

yeah but "xwel" asked what a wet compression test was, "yoboford" had the right answer, what "kenny" said was for working out static compression ratio, that isn't classed as a wet compression test, I wouldn't even class it as a test, just a measurement.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

std windsors are 9 to 1..
I have 7.8 compression and my comp test came to 150 / 155 on all of them...Good ole C.P pistons....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
std windsors are 9 to 1..
I have 7.8 compression and my comp test came to 150 / 155 on all of them...Good ole C.P pistons....

The actual compression pressure can change relating to camshaft overlap etc as well, less duration more pressure.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yobboford ford had the answer i was looking for but thanks for the info guys i also think the compression for all 8 cyclinders has to be roughly the same in all

power

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

EEC can do a cylinder balance check as part of the diagnostic suite.... all documented in the Fordmods EEC-V doco i believe.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I too have a 9 . 1 compression V8 and I'm wondering what compression ratio is 950Kpa as my compression tester only reads in Kpa

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

To answer my own question here. The 9.0:1 compression in kilopascals should read 1,100KPa. So 950KPa is 8.0:1. So new rings in order.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Should be around 160 psi...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah I worked that out. 160 PSI, 11 Bar or 1,100 KPa.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:31 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Faircon wrote:
To answer my own question here. The 9.0:1 compression in kilopascals should read 1,100KPa. So 950KPa is 8.0:1. So new rings in order.

This is NOT CORRECT, it is imposible to work out compression by multiplying the CLAIMED static ratio by some value which I assume you are using is atmophere. Just think about it, if you fully understand how an engine works its obvious.

2 reasons are:
-Manufacturers do not blueprint a motor from the factory, rarely is the claimed compression ratio equal to the actual.
-The Cam opening and closing events are not at TDC and BDC so the engine cannot "statically" compress to the actual compression ratio.

Just closing the LSA by 2 degrees on a cam profile will noticeably increase the cranking compression. Most people assume its the other way around.

The proper way to check the engine without opening it up is to perform a leakdown test.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I needed to know if it was time for new rings and my method was correct because the ring gap was 0.40mm which is towards the max ring gap of 0.50mm which explains to me why the compression tester indicated 950KPa when it should be 1,100KPa.
So I'm in the process of installing new rings and bearings which should be good for a couple hundred thousand or more K's.
I'm happy with my method.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next