Converting 6 cylinder nf fairlane to v8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Converting 6 cylinder nf fairlane to v8
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: Nf fairlane ghia

VIC, Australia

Hi guys. I've got a 96 nf fairlane ghia that I'm going to be converting to 5.0 litre. I have a 95 df ltd donor car for this. I was wondering if I need to be swapping over the under dash wiring loom or weather I can just plug in the v8 ecu tcm and bcm straight into the 6 cyl under dash loom? Also any info of any other stuff I'll need to be swapping round would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Converting 6 cylender nf fairlane to v8
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Nope. you want the ECU harness, and the behind the dash (attached to firewall) harness
You should also make life easy for yourself and use the Pedal Box (which has the TCM Mounting Brackets on it)

The Dashboard harness itself is fine. The Main Engine bay harness should also be ok.

You should be able to use any EF Harness (EF, DF, NF) for those two harnesses.

Do NOT get tempted to use EL Stuff. EL's had different ABS Processor, Different ABS Wiring, different front connector at ABS Connector, different wiring in the Behind Dash Harness/Plugs, and also ran the thermo fans using 2 wires instead of 3.

That also means you *should* use the EF ECU - although if you use an EL ECU you can make the fans work ok. You'll still need to use the EF Harnesses though - at least if you want a simple conversion.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps mate. Yea I wasn't sure what wiring was compatible between the 6 and the v8 so I wasn't gunna touch anything till I run it by someone who's more knowledgable about e series stuff. Better be safe than sorry! Lol. Hopefully it all goes together with minimal frigging around. I'll keep ya posted n let ya know how it went.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks heaps mate. Yea I wasn't sure what wiring was compatible between the 6 and the v8 so I wasn't gunna touch anything till I run it by someone who's more knowledgable about e series stuff. Better be safe than sorry! Lol. Hopefully it all goes together with minimal frigging around. I'll keep ya posted n let ya know how it went.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Pulling the dash off to do the harness betwen the firewall and the dash sucks, but other than that its not too hard a game. I have an EL Here that I converted from a 6 to 8 (its a 185 ;) )

EF's are easier to keep as EF's, EL's are easier to keep as EL's, XF's are s**t to make into NC's (did that), and AU's go into E36 BMW's quite nicely with a lot of work ;)

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yea I know pulling the dash out is gunna be a mission. Thank Christ The mechanical side is fairly easy. Once I've got it up n running with the 8 in it, the bat plan is To throw it a 5 speed. As it sits now the car is currently a manual. So once she's 5.0 litred I'll be saving some coin and send the 6cyl t5 off to the Aussie t5 guys and they're gunna reco the gearbox to v8 spec for me for about a grand. Then I just gotta chase down a second hand bellhousing, flywheel, get a j3 chip and I'll be in business. I also wanna run an au intake manifold, 70mm Tb and maf, gt40p's, roller rockers, extractors and I'll be fabbing up a mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch twin exhaust. The cars dark blue and I recon it's gunna look pretty sweet slammed with nu fairlane ghia wheels with thin dual line whitewalls.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You can probably pick up T5 V8's for about $1500 or less - Might be easier than the complete Re-Co.,

Might also make conversion easier, as you'll probably get a J3 chip and not need the TCM?

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yea true, but I can live with the cost of getting the box reco'd as I intend to have the car for a while. I'd rather know that the box is spot on rather than gamble with a second hand 1. And let's face it, a second hand v8 box is likely to have had a bit of a hard time.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

All very true, but then in my case Im looking at AU Stuff..... most AU XR8's were babied by their owners ;). I have an AU 220 in the BMW..... which will have to become a manual one day

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Cool. Was there much frigging around to setup the Windsor in the BMW? I was contemplating putting the 5.0 litre driveline in my fd ltd but I ended up getting this nf fairlane so I recon I'll leave the Clevo in the ltd. how much rooting around do you recon it'd be to setup the btr auto behind the Cleveland? Coz I kinda killed the fmx! Lol

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

BTR is possible behind the clevo, but I havent done it. You need a TPS and a TCM from an EB-ED

It fits... But then I put the windsor into the XF instead of a clevo.

The BMW was a fair bit - I did exhaust properly, and did everything from scratch in the end.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Cool. What made you wanna put a Windsor in a beemer? Were you sick of the over the top prices for BMW engine parts and the costs of servicing? Lol. I guess that'd be why a lot of guys used to put small block chev v8's in Mercedes benzes.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Nah. I was going to put a windsor in a Ford Escape, but where NSW would give me an exemption from offset crash testing, qld wouldnt....
.. because it was a 4x4(fwd) to RWD Conversion.

Instead, I bought the BMW and threw it in there. I wanted something different. I guess its like a cortina - smaller, much better handling, and a much nicer turning circle. I will be putting it on injected LPG though.

I had 6's my whole life, then about 3 years ago started playing with the 8's. Ive pulled 3 apart, and one of the EL's I pulled apart had a 220kw AU engine in it.. that started this particular ball rolling

Post subject: Re: Converting 6 cylinder nf fairlane to v8
Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Well done man! That sounds cool. It's all about havin something different hey. With the fairlane I've got aspirations of giving it the Lincoln treatment as if ford had ov done it. It won't be too hard coz they're very lincolnish anyway. My white 83 fd ltd looks sweet dropped down with whitewalls, venetians and highly polished zd hubcaps. I had all this hapnin well before whitewalls and venetians became the "trend" lol. I'm 31 and I've always owned mainly chrome bumpered holdens. Hk-t-g's to be exact. But I've had a couple of fords and a couple of jap rigs too. I've been braught up on the old school stuff and Every single car I've owned has copped the whitewalls and venetians treatment. It's my thing. Lol. Hey what's your opinion on wheel spacers? Do they really stuff your bearings and Are they a danger?

Post subject: Re: Converting 6 cylinder nf fairlane to v8
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Im not one to comment on Spacers. I wouldnt use them, but I dont know the legals. you are much better adjusting the wheels/mounts properly...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]