Fordmods Logo

coolant leak/tune 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: coolant leak/tune
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hi everyone,

have a coolant leak that has persisted for some time now. coming from thermostat housing. have replaced thermostat around 2 months ago, along with sealing it good. it was ok for about a month, now its started again.
i can only think of 1 possiblity, that the lower edelbrock manifold where the thermostat housing joins to might not be 100% flat, will it need to be machined? any thoughts on price?

also rang dynomotive to ask about fitting 77mm maf & 24's plus retune of unichip. $330 all up. any thoughts on this price?

thanks
james

Post subject: Re: coolant leak/tune
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
hi everyone,

have a coolant leak that has persisted for some time now. coming from thermostat housing. have replaced thermostat around 2 months ago, along with sealing it good. it was ok for about a month, now its started again.
i can only think of 1 possiblity, that the lower edelbrock manifold where the thermostat housing joins to might not be 100% flat, will it need to be machined? any thoughts on price?

also rang dynomotive to ask about fitting 77mm maf & 24's plus retune of unichip. $330 all up. any thoughts on this price?

thanks
james
the thermo housing can be checked with a feeler gauges,if even its flat,use hard flat sanding block and carefully sand the top rotating the direction your sanding,this will get you very flat and seal.use a marker to colour the top first,this will show you when its flat,do the same to the housing cover,gasket and sealer will work.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Post subject: Re: coolant leak/tune
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

gunit18 wrote:
hi everyone,

thanks
james
the thermo housing can be checked with a feeler gauges,if even its flat,use hard flat sanding block and carefully sand the top rotating the direction your sanding,this will get you very flat and seal.use a marker to colour the top first,this will show you when its flat,do the same to the housing cover,gasket and sealer will work.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok cheers for that, i'll have a crack at it when i change the oil before xmas... also, i noticed a fair build up of oil in the intake plenum? wat's the go with this?

Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

do you have a k+n filter? if not it may just be fine spray comin from the breather

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:26 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

they normally get a bit oily round the line from the pcv valve

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

have a k&n but surely that amount of oil wouldn't build up in there... heard the same thing about the pcv valve. and need for a catch can or something?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]