coolant 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: coolant
Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
I use Tectaloy90 in mine. If you flush the system never ever use tap water to do it. Australian water is the worst water(hard) in the world to use in cooling systems. Use only distilled/demineralised water even when flushing unless you know you can get all the water out.
I know of a particular car where the guy flushed the system with tap water, then used good coolant only to find the manifold eaton after 8 months.

my car is 20 years old and i used green coolant with tap water. heads are common to rot out. mine is fine. i just change it every 12months

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

SA, Australia

just use the green coolant mate
i heard they only use diff colours for different brands of cars
so give it a good flush and get the best green stuff u can get your hands on

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:05 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
I use Tectaloy90 in mine. If you flush the system never ever use tap water to do it. Australian water is the worst water(hard) in the world to use in cooling systems. Use only distilled/demineralised water even when flushing unless you know you can get all the water out.
I know of a particular car where the guy flushed the system with tap water, then used good coolant only to find the manifold eaton after 8 months.

my car is 20 years old and i used green coolant with tap water. heads are common to rot out. mine is fine. i just change it every 12months

Yeah vic is probably not so bad, WA and SA are the worst for hard water.

Posted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Nothing wrong with clean tap water. Only problem is when the system is either not propperly flushed, not propperly filled and not regularly checked/changed.
We use nissans coolant aswell. Anti freeze, anti boil, anti corrosion.
Shouldn't have any hastle just dropping the old coolant, flushing the system and refiling with a quality coolant (not pre mix)
When you drop the bottom hose off also remove a heater hose and pump the garden hose up it both ways until it flows out clear. Also flow the hose through the radiator and everything else you can to get all the old coolant out.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont

VIC, Australia

The colour of the coolant in generally just colour dye, at work we have pink/red coolant for our cooling towers, we placed an urgent order for some coolant and the stuff they sent us was clear, we weren't sure if they had sent us the right stuff so we called them and they said all coolant in clear just different companies use different colour dyes so you can see it when it leaks. Then they sent us a small hat of dye to add to the system.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ford Coolant for AU/BA/BF/FG is GREEN, the RED coolant was used in earlier models. Ford do not make Yellow coolant for replacement.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au1 V8 1 tonne poverty pac ute

QLD, Australia

As copied from the tectaloy website
TECTALOY XP7 RED
Tectaloy XP7 Red is specifically formulated as a replacement for any factory fill red coolant more commonly found in late model vehicles. It is easily identified by its disctinctive colour. Tectaloy XP7 Red is a premium silicate free glycol based Anti Freeze/Anti Boil providing long term corrosion protection with excellent heat transfer properties. The product contains a colour change warning feature should the coolant require changing prior to the scheduled service period, the coolant can vary in colour from red when functional to yellow if a change is required.

Don't force it, use a Bigger hammer

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

That may explain the yellow colour! :lol:

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA Ford fairmont

VIC, Australia

yes very help full thnx

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gotta luv a v8 wrote:
TECTALOY XP7 RED
Tectaloy XP7 Red is specifically formulated as a replacement for any factory fill red coolant more commonly found in late model vehicles. It is easily identified by its disctinctive colour. Tectaloy XP7 Red is a premium silicate free glycol based Anti Freeze/Anti Boil providing long term corrosion protection with excellent heat transfer properties. The product contains a colour change warning feature should the coolant require changing prior to the scheduled service period, the coolant can vary in colour from red when functional to yellow if a change is required.

Ford doesn't use Red coolant in AU on Falcons, they use it in Transit Vans, Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: au1 V8 1 tonne poverty pac ute

QLD, Australia

Just trying to find an explanation for the yellow coolant , maybe ford didn't put it in, I don't get ford to put mine in.
Papa Smurf wrote:
gotta luv a v8 wrote:
TECTALOY XP7 RED

Ford doesn't use Red coolant in AU on Falcons, they use it in Transit Vans, Focus, Fiesta and Mondeo.

Don't force it, use a Bigger hammer

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:25 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA Ford fairmont

VIC, Australia

yea im not to sure weather ford put it in or not as it was like that before i brought it. im assuming ford did as the guy before me took it to ford all the time.
just thought id ask the question as im just trying to start off fresh such as replacing fluids like brakes,coolant oils.
ive brought nulon green stuff for it and will do a flush this weekend.
thnx for all ayour help every1

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2