Fordmods Logo

df2 ltd starting probs ,help please.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: df2 ltd starting probs ,help please..
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: ltd df nov 95 5.0 windsor

VIC, Australia

Hi there, Ive just bought a df2 ltd v8 95, and am having troubles starting it(i have another one damaged for spares) Fuel pump is working ,it didnt come with keys so i transfered the ignition fron my spare one and did the 30 min reprograming which worked as i can turn the motor over no probs, has a full tank fuel is working when on for 2 secs and fuel is there when turning over (i re soldered 6 wires ithink, near the fuel pump as the loom was broken but that hasnt help the starting) also there is spark (new plugs leads) ive put the distributor off my spare with new tfi and also coil and still doesnt want to fire, also where is the ecu on the df as i want to take the one out of my damaged ltd and see if thats the prob, is it in the pas side footwell? And where is the ecu relay, Im going to replace the fuel filter tomorow and now im going to check some earths and the efi wiring if any one could help with a few suggestions i would really apreciate it, thanks

Post subject: Re: df2 ltd starting probs ,help please..
Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

ecu is passenger side footwell [well on falcons]
not sure about the ecu relay? .. only spots i know for relays are to the right of the steering wheel where fuses are & near the overflow bottle [i'm going by me EA/EB models]
fuel? .. so it is pumping it at the engine??

cant help much more than that

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

EEC Main power relay is under the coolant bottle and is brown in colour, Fuel pump relay is the green one. Have you got fuel at the rail, take the cap off the schrader valve on the fuel rail and push the pin in.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yes i have fuel at the rail ,i havnt checked pressure yet but i filled a i litre jug in around 40 seconds ,so im pretty sure the pressure is ok, thanks for the info about the eec relay, but as the pump turns on to prime for a couple of seconds in the ign on position this means the eec relay is working as this powers the fuel pump relay, ive also swapped the computer anyway and all is ok , the code is 111 so all is ok there, im going to stab the distributor tomorow hopefully the previous owner stuffed up there,i also swapped the dizzy with one from my damaged df which has a new tfi ,pip, distributor cap, rotor and bosch performance spark plug leads and the coil also i have cheked the tpi which checks out ok

Could someone please tell me how to convert pictures so i can upload some one this site as i got banned for 3 days for advertising a few parts witout pics on this site

also thanks for everyones suggestions so far..

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Go to photobucket and set up an account. put your photies on there and use the links to post em on here.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate i just downloaded a converter program ive coverted to giff so ill put some up now ,do i post on the garage for the ltds that im using to make a good one..

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

When you say it wont start, whats it doing? Does it try to start but wont kick or does it not want to turn at all?
When you do the dizzy, make sure you set it right. Maybe the previous owner had not put it in right. Also, there is spark ( new points and leads), have you checked the spark at the plug or are you assuming its getting spark due to the new items? Could be a coil maybe. Check the timing.
Also, if your thinking maybe fuel try filling up a spray bottle with fuel and get someone to turn the car over while you spray fuel into the throttle body. If she starts then and you can keep the fuel spray up to it so it runs you'll know its fuel related.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you get stuck and dont have a manual, let me know. I have one on cd for an ef/el- v6/v8. Its not for Fairlanes but almost all info will work for you. Let me know and Ill copy it onto a cd and post it out to you express post tomorrow for $5

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:05 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yes its got spark ive pulled no1 off and grounded it and the sparks pretty good, should start ,thats why i think timing , the balancer is a bit rusted so its hard to see the mark but ill emery paper it a bit and spray wd 40 maybe i can see the marks better..when i stab it , im spending half a day on it tomorow so hopefully it will start, its got 293000kms on it so comp should be ok but if it wont start maybe injecters , ill be testing them tomorow also and the salt n pepper plugs, i took a break on it for a day as it was driving me crazy , was even conemplating just swapping my other motor as i know its a ok and only has 70,000 since rebuild but the same thing will probably happen co i reckon its wiring probs..
thanks for the offer for the manual ive got one of those ellery ones for it but its a s**t manual in my opinion, i need to sort out the sunroof as well (which only started working when i soldered the 6 wires in the boot that come in the boot from under the car on top of the fuel pump ) the sunroof only stays open for 5 secs then closes but at least its working now..Do you have the ellery manual or a ford one, if you have the ford one id be interested , ..thanks anyway for your input..

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you want to eliminate fuel delivery try that spray bottle trick. SWC got me onto it with my i6 when I had some issues like your having and it works. I thought timing or electrical ( had spark etc like you have) and was puzzled as I had fuel to the rail, turned out to be dirty fuel and I only narrowed that down due to SWC's advise. All you do is get a spray bottle and full it with some fuel, set it on spray and spray it directly into the throttle body while someone starts the car. If it starts you just keep spraying the remainder of the bottle into the throttle body ( just keeping it idling) and then see what happens. Might need a few goes like mine did if its dirty fuel or water in the fuel ( metho in the tank helps that, just a few small swigs).

Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:22 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

stabbed the distributor, it was ok same setting as before so timing is correct, fuel pressure is 42psi at shraeder valve,have taken no1 spark plug out to check the condition of spark again,can smell unburnt fuel at end of exhaust,
will retest pip, tfi, coil, leads,and spark condition tomorow when battery recharges..

could bem be causing week spark or no spark?

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

FOUND PROBLEM,F ALL COMPRESSION
1-4-5-850PSI
2-3-6-7,5PSI..
WARPED HEADS I RECKON, SO WILL BE PUTTING MY OTHER MOTOR IN..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]