Fordmods Logo

Diagnosing knock NF Fairlane V8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Diagnosing knock NF Fairlane V8
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi forum,

I'm a hobbyist ,and to be clear not a mechanic. Learning as I go.

I have a NF Fairlane V8 (5.0 302 EFI) which has developed what I think is a bottom end knock. Symptoms as follows:
- Doesn't appear on startup, only when warm. Does not go away.
- Knock sounds faster when applying throttle (obviously)

I've changed the oil to 20W60 Penrite HPR30 Mineral Oil.

Engine also seems to have a blown head gasket (small white vapor coming out of exhaust once warmed up).

At this stage, I just want to diagnose the knock, before I send the motor away for a tear down and rebuild (or look for alternative options).

For curiosity sake, I bought a copy of Todd Monroe's book "How to rebuild Small Block Ford Engines" and found a section that says to disconnect each spark plug lead one at a time, to see if the knock noise changes / goes away.

It also mentions that if the car is equipped with solid-state ignition, always ground the lead that is disconnected, Otherwise, the ignition system can be damaged. Something similar is also mentioned in my other book that says "DO NOT OPEN CIRCUIT any high tension cable with ignition switched on or with engine running, as the control unit can be damaged".

From what I'm reading above, I'm guessing that by disconnecting a spark plug lead, I run the risk of damaging the EFI computer? So this is my question basically. As to what to do with the motor, I'll assess that a bit later.

Would greatly appreciate any advice on the above.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Diagnosing knock NF Fairlane V8
Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Disconnecting the spark plug wire while the engine is running is a common method of identifying the cylinder contributing to the knocking. If the knocking reduces or disappears when a particular cylinder stops working, it may be related to problems in that cylinder. geometry dash lite

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your reply mate.
Haven't had much of a chance to use the car, but I will go ahead and disconnect the ignition as I'm also looking at doing a compression test.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2010

WA, Australia

robertcadogan wrote:
Disconnecting the spark plug wire while the engine is running is a common method of identifying the cylinder contributing to the knocking. If the knocking reduces or disappears when phen24 official website particular cylinder stops working, it may be related to problems in that cylinder. geometry dash lite

Agreed with you. This is a good and easy way to know the issue.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]