Fordmods Logo

differences in EFI 302s 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: differences in EFI 302s
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2 XF's, XE, EA Ghia

SA, Australia

hi all recently blew the engine in my EL XR8, looking at replacement 5ls an a cheap EB v8 just popped up. was thinking that i would buy it take the engine an strip the rest of the car an hopefully make some money back. is there any big differences between the EB/D/F/L 5Ls that would be to much of a hassle to try an getting a EB 5L to work in my EL xr8? cheers

Post subject: Re: differences in EFI 302s
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

possibly the camshaft profile and have a look at the pistons in the dishes with the cc change but there shouldn't be too many differences if your using your old heads and manifold

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

EB-EL = same engine, except apparently early EB Engines also had forged pistons.

Only known difference was the 185i engine. I dont believe tickford modified any v8 engine they were all the same. Even the on-engine wiring harness is the same (on the EF, EL they simply delete the Dashboard coolant temp sensor, and left it hanging)

Nigel

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The EL ll had Explorer inlet..
The AU had slightly better heads GTP's , same inlet as Explorer bigger throttle body and MAF..
24Lb injectors [blue]..DIS ignition but can be converted back to dissy..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

ok sweet was thinking about chucking some AU v8 goodies onto an Eseries V8 engine, how hard is it to swap the coilpacks to a dizzy setup?

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

ELII XR8 only for the Explorer manifold, although it also got the IAT Sensor boss which the AU Doesnt have.
There is also the NL by Tickford V8, and the XH II XR8 which apparently had the AU Engine.

AU Series 1 may or may not have had GTPs (many reports of E7s - and only 185kw). AU Series II onwards was GTP's except for the TE/TL AU II which got alloy SVO heads. The later ones went back to Ported GTP's

Its not worth going to AU Stuff on an E Series unless you have the whole AU Engine. Even then, you can put a dizzy in and it will work great.
The real reason youd go with the coil packs is if you were a complete enthusiast, or if youd like to use the AU Trans Control integrated into the EEC. That gives you some interesting options, including TE Series Auto Maps, and ability to program the trans using a J3 chip.
You need an AU ECU to do that though - and AU II onwards uses smartshield which wont just fit into an E Series

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

i just changed all the electrical stuff in my NC to NF gear dash ECU etc. the wiring loom plugged onto the NC motor with out any issue's just had to change the Gearbox Module as the NC and NF ones were different thats all

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I'm not usually one to say this, but it seems this topic is covered too often, usually debated to the core noting every little difference and exception, with the occasional "my mates uncle had.. blah".

Point is, it would be great to get a few of the 5.0 EFI gurus together to nut this out very cleanly and make a doco/sticky about it. It's a very hot and often misunderstood topic.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cheers all for the replys I'm just thinking a std eseries v8 will do for now, just really want the car to be running again lol now onto my next question, this is the first time I've ever pulled an engine so was hopeing someone could give me a rough step by step as to how to do it? So far I've pulled the radiator an hoses out, taken off the top half of the airbox an piping, dropped the fluids in the engine an trans, unbolted from the cats, an taken out the tailshaft. Next I was going to unbolt the selector for the auto an I've been told to unbolt the aircon compressor from the block that way I won't have to get my aircon regassed? My main question is with the wiring side of things, can I unplug the loom from the ecu an leave the loom plugged into the engine? Hope that makes sense lol cheers

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Just Unplug the engine harness from the main harness using the two round black and white plugs behind the t-body area. Remember you squeeze the tabs on these to unplug them. The amount of broken ones of these I've seen is phenomenal because people try to lever them off with a screwdriver. It actually says "push" on the connector tabs.
You'll likely find it easier to remove the engine with upper intake off too.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]