Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: DL LTD Running rough and won't idle - SOLVED issue was Fpump
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Hey guy's, a very late night post for me :P

I was driving on the Eastlink Earlier today in the 5L DL LTD when the car out of the blue just randomely surged and then stalled...

Quickly pulled over, checked all the gauges, nothing out of the ordinary there, tried to start the car again and it wouldn't go, but after letting it sit for a couple of minutes, I turned the key and she fired, but she would barely run and you would have to give it a fair bit of throttle for it to run.

Probably sound's like a simple Vacuum line problem me thinks, for the fact that the car will run when you give it throttle but just runs like an absolute dog (to the point where it would be a crazy idea to even think about moving the car under it's own steam), but I haven't owned the car for too long, and I'm still getting accustomed to the 5Ltr rather than the 6 cylinder, so I was hoping you guy's could give me a few suggestions as to where to look? :)

My first thoughts if it's a vacuum issue, on the 6 cylinder ED the Map Sensor had a vacuum line going to it, so I was gonna see if I could find that and see if that's the problem.

My second thought was maybe the Coil Pack has suddenly spat the dummy for some unknown reason? but I'm not sure if my symptoms are typical for an ignition coil.

Thanks for looking

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Last edited by SpeedyED on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DL LTD Running rough and won't idle
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

A dodgy fuel pump can often cause those exact symptoms. They can overheat, leaving the car to cool allows the pump to cool enough to work. The pump is the same as the 6, but I'm told there are different fitments for late 97 and 98 models. I've found Bosch and VDO pumpa cheap on ebay new, around 70-75 posted, easy to fit!

However you want to be sure what it is before wasting money.

The MAF in the v8 is located just behind the airbox in the intake tube. The black bit on the side contains the hot wires. If you suspect it, unplug it and test!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

I,ve split this as I'm on my phone, damn insomnia!

Your car has a distributor, no coilpack. The coil is mounted next to the dizzy, the original Ford item never really dies apparently, qlthough its a possibility!

I'd unplug the MAF and test, visually check the coil, and check you can hear the fuel pump working quietly and priming when you turn the car on before starting.

Perhaps a member lives nearby and can help.

Good luck!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Haha! Thanks mate :)

I'll check the MAF sensor out, but right now it's looking like it might be the fuel pump, I'll need 2 people to confirm it because when you turn the key ignition to the on position for the fuel pump to prime the compressor for the air shocks also makes a noise making it hard to tell if the fuel pump is priming or not.

I'll inform you guys on how I go.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Pull the fuse for the SLS, its in the panel under the dash.

Sometimes the pump sounds fine but isn't delivering enough fuel, sometimes its fine until it gets hot.

Was it warm when it happened?

Obviously you can check all of the vac lines too, but the MAF have a vac line in the 5.0 obviously.

Hope you get it sorted!

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Dump question: what's SLS?

I had a look at all the fuses and took out the fuse to the air suspension pump, and I definitely can't here the fuel pump priming, I can only hear a couple of clicks inside the engine bay, I'm pressuming there just solenoids and stuff preparing to fire or whatever.

When the car stopped the car was running at perfect temperature, I was driving from Geelong to Croyden (which is about 150km's) and the car stopped with about 130km of the journey completed.

Oil pressure was fine, Coolant temperature was good, there was plenty of battery amperage and charge, and there was a near full tank of fuel in the car.

I haven't got the tooling with me here where I am at the moment (because I live in Geelong, not Croyden so I'm at someone elses house) to pull the engine covers off to access the fuel lines and confirm that there isn't any fuel being delivered to the fuel rail. I am also actually thinking a pump relay or something to check first before resigning to the fuel pump but I'm not sure where that's located on my car, I'll purchase a workshop manual and see what I can find.

If I do have to pull the fuel pump out it's going to be a lot of fun as there is a near full tank of fuel in the car... :shock: oh well lol, that's life.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1991 Ford Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

sls, self leveling suspension?

Build Thread - More of a mismatch of parts :P the-garage-f53/seftons-ea-t106586.html

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sefton wrote:
sls, self leveling suspension?

Ahhh! if that's what he ment then yes I did pull the fuse for that out to have a listen :wink:

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Yep, thats the fuse!

I did a fuel pump the other day with a 3/4 tank, it was just low enough.

The fuel pump relay is under the coolant bottle, according to the EF 4.0 repair manual I have here its the middle one of the three big ones. Probably the same on an EL spec 5.0. You would be wise to check it, perhaps swap it with another and test.

Is the car actually running now? Did you drive it home? Does it start or not?

With the temperature, I meant was the weather warm? Hot days will exasperate the pump problem.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'll have a look at the repair manual and confirm the fuse position and swap it with another one just to confirm.

Tomorrow is Melbourne cup day, so places like Bursons won't be open (Bursons is the place for Auto Parts in Geelong), I'm hoping that supercheap Auto or/and Autobarn/repco are open, otherwise I'll just pull the pump out, clean the little sache thingy and then buy and fit the pump on Wednesday.

It was cold, windy and raining on Sunday (when the car stopped), and I have tried turning it over today and it definitely isn't going, I don't really wanna be turning it over any more because I'm gonna end up flattening the battery if I'm not careful. I have RACV Roadside assist and they will cover me for the first 20km with a trailer (I had the go kart trailer on the back), luckily when I broke down I was 16 away from my destination, so RACV got nationwide towing to tow the car to where I am now.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Fuel pump relay is green.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks dude :)

Well I've now got the black cover off covering the fuel pump, and I can't get the fuel lines off! :| They have the most evil plastic clips ever... any idea's on how to get them off?

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've also just confirmed that the fuel pump relay does indeed work.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

I dont know if this has already been said, but it could be the idle speed controller or the cable connecting to it.

Blue blooded.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

REW93N wrote:
I dont know if this has already been said, but it could be the idle speed controller or the cable connecting to it.

It hasn't been, but if you read the whole topic you'll find that I'm 98% certain it's the fuel pump.

To change the pump though I have to buy a tool to disconnect the fuel lines, a mate of mine who's into Karting uses this specific tool for the fords:

http://www.sidchrome.com.au/product/7655/fuel-ac-disconnect-tool-set

But before even that happens I need to vacuum around the area of the fuel pump because there is about 14 years worth of dust, stones and crap there, the pump appears to have never been replaced before either.

The main problem is that the car is stuck about an hour and a half away from home so I'm staying at a typical ladies house that doesn't have that much access to tools, to add insult to injury, the car is sitting on the side of the road and the house is about 50 meters away down a long driveway leading to a bunch of units. I'll have to buy a fair few extension cables so I can get the vacuum cleaner happening tomorrow.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next