Fordmods Logo

EB/EL V8 Power Steering pump reco 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EB/EL V8 Power Steering pump reco
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Hi all, the pump on my EF is due for a reco so doing it myself. Got a few tips for people trying to get the pulley off, I've had to do it more than a few times over the years and everyone seems to have problems. This way you don't have to drill holes in the pulley or undo the bolts in a certain order

All i use to remove the pulley is a 3in/75mm 3 jaw puller bout $25 from supercheap, hammer 10mm socket and an extension bar and comes of easy as

I did however have to grind more of an angle on the jaws of the puller so it engaged properly on the groove on the pulley

I'll be pulling it off again tonight and posting some pics up for those interested

Cheers, Matt

New project 5.4l 331ci S380R, 8.2 4.125 Man o war, Billet LAE crank, Jon Kaase Heads, Pauter Rods, JE pistons

Post subject: Re: EB/EL V8 Power Steering pump reco
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

xr8boy wrote:
Hi all, the pump on my EF is due for a reco so doing it myself. Got a few tips for people trying to get the pulley off, I've had to do it more than a few times over the years and everyone seems to have problems. This way you don't have to drill holes in the pulley or undo the bolts in a certain order

All i use to remove the pulley is a 3in/75mm 3 jaw puller bout $25 from supercheap, hammer 10mm socket and an extension bar and comes of easy as

I did however have to grind more of an angle on the jaws of the puller so it engaged properly on the groove on the pulley

I'll be pulling it off again tonight and posting some pics up for those interested

Cheers, Matt

post away,there apita to remove and repair

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

With the I6's, you don't necessarily have to take the pulley off to dismantle the whole pump.
Not the same with the V8 pumps ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

There's actually a proper tool kit you can buy to remove & refit the pulleys on the power steering pumps. I just so happen to have bought the toledo kit to do the job. I've reco'd a couple of pumps and it was worth buying the tool set to do it easily. I don't remember the price but I know it was under $100.

A modified 3 jaw puller would also remove the pulley....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

snap0964 wrote:
With the I6's, you don't necessarily have to take the pulley off to dismantle the whole pump.

With the v8s, the pulley actually blocks the mounting bolts for the pump!

They aren't fun to play with.

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you need a snub puller to fit in to a pulling groove,the shaft floats about 1-2mm on the drive spline of the rotor assembly,you have to push the shaft out--pres fit,i had to heat it as well.as stated the 3 torx bolts are behind the pulley,pump is a C2 MUSTANG.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Those pulleys are really tough to remove. I made up an adapter (to fit a balancer puller) out of 5mm steel that located in the puller groove a full 360 degrees and I still couldn't get the pulley off. It bent the 5mm steel instead. I never tried any heat due to the proximity of rubber seals.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i bought the puller-130 bucks,it removes and installs the pulley and gearbox multi puller,i had a heat blanket around the area to stop fires,a quick heat on the snub to expand the snub and move 4-what ever you can get mm,then reheat over again until off.about a half hour---before that i spent a few hours with nothing happening----to gentle on it,worried about distorting the pulley.next pita was the torx screws,2 came out easy and 1 pita----ground the head off.replaced the screws with M10-GRADE 12 UNBREAKO LOW HEAD BOLTS AND USE FLAT WASHERS,,THE ALLEN KEYS ARE BETTER.seal kits are cheap,i noticed the most play in the shaft to rotor splines,up to .010-.020 thou so when the rotor loads up it pushes on the splines and locks,creating he wear.i found a new shaft in w.a. only one,standard cut-no over size available.so i am going to try industrial hard chroming the splines .015 thou and fitting them together.the vanes are spring loaded and the body if smooth and no chatter,or marked up ,will be ok.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

I will try some heat next time. But I had a heap of pressure on the puller - using a 24" long cresent as tight as I could go. It even deformed the super-fine threads on the puller.

I'm expecting to replace the slipper apex seals as the pump had very little pressure, but was otherwise working fine.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
snap0964 wrote:

So unlike the I6's which have access holes in the pulley. . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
SLO247 wrote:
snap0964 wrote:

So unlike the I6's which have access holes in the pulley. . . .

AU V8's have holes in the pulley to access mount bolts

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Are pulley's interchangeable ??

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Are pulley's interchangeable ??

i dont think so,they changed pumps on the au series,the e series are the same to el.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
A modified 3 jaw puller would also remove the pulley....

Thats exactly what i use and no heat either just a couple of taps with a hammer

New project 5.4l 331ci S380R, 8.2 4.125 Man o war, Billet LAE crank, Jon Kaase Heads, Pauter Rods, JE pistons

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

To reinstall the pulley i use a 3/8UNC 4in set screw a couple of large flat washers and a 3/8 nut, quite agricultural but its been successful so far

The seal/o ring kit cost me $11.60 from repco as they had a sale on at the time

The idea behind this is you can go down to good old bunnings anyday of the week and grab what you need without spending $130ish or so on the puller

I'll get some pics up of the removal/refit as soon as the camera decides to play ball

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next