EB Series 1 347 stroker - engine cuts out when hot 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EB Series 1 347 stroker - engine cuts out when hot
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont EB

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys
Fairly new to forums, so apologies if this issue is covered elsewhere, but I'm going to ask anyway...
Have converted my factory 5.0/Auto EB Series 1 Fairmont to 347/manual. Engine is from an AU2 XR8, rebuilt/stroked etc. Running all original EB loom/sensors.
Has been dyno tuned, runs well. Done about 5000kms now and I have the following fault happening;
When on a drive (not around town), but highway crusing at speed limit, the engine cuts out, like its lost all spark.This only happens after more than say 30 minutes continuous driving. When it happened (while on the side of the road) I checked fuel pressure and that was OK. Checked spark by arcing out the lead on the shockie mount bolt, again OK. Motor would crank over just not start. Sat there sratching my head for half an hour, then tried to start it and the bugger starts and ran fine all the way home. Did multiple trips around town since and no problem. To date I have replaced the TFI Module on the dizzy, and put a new coil in it as well.
Can anyone help me out with some advice as to what it may be? I replace these parts on advice from a local mechanic that said it 'may be' the problem, but today the car stopped again on a drive, so the Fordmods forum is my next best bet.
Any help appreciated guys. Wouldnt mind trying to fix it myself before I go to a workshop (cash is a bit tight due to work slowing down)

Post subject: Re: EB Series 1 347 stroker - engine cuts out when hot
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

are you running an MSD dizzy. I had the same issue on my 302, was the dizzy overheating, swapped back to a stock dizzy and all was well. Next time it does it, pour 2l of water over the TFI and see if it starts straight up, that would be my guess.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Post subject: Re: EB Series 1 347 stroker - engine cuts out when hot
Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont EB

QLD, Australia

Hey Brett - thanks for the msg. The TFI is new, but still could be faulty I guess.
I still have the standard dizzy, just have an MSD cap and rotor (new when I put the engine in).
Was actually thinking about upgrading to MSD unit, but after your comment (and a few others I've read on here) then perhaps not?
It definately appears to be heat related (note the engine does not overheat as such).
Have had the ignition leads tested as well and they are OK. Coil also tested and output was 12 volts.
Do you know if you can still buy a new distributor? (genuine)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]