Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Eb v8 power steering hose
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Hey fordmodders,

So today I fit the rebuilt power steering pump to my white Eb xr8. It's still a tad noisy, but it doesn't leak anymore. However I found I have a small leak at the fitting where the high pressure hose fits into the side of the pump (Not the big fitting with the O ring for the reservoir, the small one that screws in.....Bugger!

Is there mean to be an O ring on the end of the fitting that screws into the side of the pump or is it just old & shagged?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Post subject: Re: Eb v8 power steering hose
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Pretty sure there's an O ring ???

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

It's a white (teflon?) seal that fits in a receiver groove just outboard of the threaded portion of the metal fitting. About 1/2" in diameter. Ford p/n FO-388898 S. It is a single-use item that destroys itself whenever the HP line is unscrewed. The new seal needs to be stretched to fit over the threads. A workshop manual should give instructions on how to do this without damaging the seal.

Have you removed the air from the system by turning the steering wheel lock-lock a dozen or more times? The air often causes noise until it's all gone.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's exactly the info I need, thanks xafalcon!

I will order the seal on monday, can't be expensive at trade price. Might get a couple if they are cheap enough. I don't have a hard copy of the EA-ED workshop manual, can't find my electronic one either lol.

I have turned the wheel a lot to bleed the system, and the noise is slowly going away, however the bearing/bush in the pump has a fair bit of wear in it, so I don't expect it to be quiet.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EF Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey what tool did you use to get the pulley off/on?

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ronan wrote:
Hey what tool did you use to get the pulley off/on?

I've got this set
http://www.getprice.com.au/TOLEDO-Power-Steering-Pump-Pulley-Kit-245380-Gpnc_500--43569189.htm#

You can pick it up thru places like Repco & Bursons. Removes & installs pulleys on power steering pumps, very wide variety of pumps. On a v8 you will also need some E torx sockets, a set I bought from Total Tools. I think it was e12 to undo the 3 bolts.

xafalcon -> I've got the teflon o rings on order, and they said there is another seal there as well, so I ordered one of them for good measure. I should see them tomorrow.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Probably a good idea to have a spare Teflon seal - particularly if you have to stretch it - if they're like the steering rack pinion housing ones, they can be very easily damaged.
Those ones use a tapered pipe you stretch them on. Also best if you used just fingers and some PS fluid to manipulate them - any metal tools will quickly damage also.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Probably a good idea to have a spare Teflon seal - particularly if you have to stretch it - if they're like the steering rack pinion housing ones, they can be very easily damaged.
Those ones use a tapered pipe you stretch them on. Also best if you used just fingers and some PS fluid to manipulate them - any metal tools will quickly damage also.

That's why I ordered 2, Should be able to get the job done with that many lol. Thanks for the tip Snap, your helpful as always sir!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah Mate, best of luck with it - let us know how you get on.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

[quote="ToranaGuyxafalcon -> I've got the teflon o rings on order, and they said there is another seal there as well, so I ordered one of them for good measure. I should see them tomorrow.

Cheers

ToranaGuy[/quote]

The only other seals should be the black nitrile O-ring between the pumps metal fitting & resevoir, and the o-ring inside the HP line fitting. All I ever change is the teflon(?) seal except when there is obvious leakage around the other seals.

To fit the teflon(?) seal. Heat in boiling water (no hotter), stretch over a suitable cone or use needle-nose pliers to stretch, quickly fit to HP fitting, allow to cool. Easy

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Parts numbered 3888898s (in the paper bag) & F33C3F656BA arrived the other day at work....

These are obviously changeable, they have a black o ring inside it, and what looks like a circlip of some sort so it doesn't come off easily once it's on the metal hose.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

The metal part in the clear bag is already wearing the teflon(?) seal. The metal part is only replaced when leakage happens between the HP pipe & HP fitting on the end of the HP pipe (not the one screwed into the pump resevoir) ie at the flexible joint. I actually pull the 2 parts of this apart & just replace the O-ring, but Ford considers the part unservicable and supplies a whole new fitting like you got.

The teflon(?) seal is only $4. Replace that first as this causes 9/10 leaks in this area. If your leak stops then return the metal fitting. If it doesn't stop the leak, cut the old fitting off and replace with the new one.

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xafalcon wrote:
The metal part in the clear bag is already wearing the teflon(?) seal. The metal part is only replaced when leakage happens between the HP pipe & HP fitting on the end of the HP pipe (not the one screwed into the pump resevoir) ie at the flexible joint. I actually pull the 2 parts of this apart & just replace the O-ring, but Ford considers the part unservicable and supplies a whole new fitting like you got.

The teflon(?) seal is only $4. Replace that first as this causes 9/10 leaks in this area. If your leak stops then return the metal fitting. If it doesn't stop the leak, cut the old fitting off and replace with the new one.

Yep it's wearing the seal, I have a spare seal in the bag for the other Xr8. I thought while I was getting parts, why not grab it too. Seal was $4.50, connector was $11, got a clutch leaver insulator as well while I was there. Prices are +gst lol.

I'm not 100% sure the seal inside the connector is ok that is on the car, all I know is it's missing it's teflon seal. I'll replace the connector just for good measure, for this price why the hell bother with the possibility of the existing one leaking, destroying a new teflon o ring & then loosing power steer fluid.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:22 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

mate did you end up cutting/grinding off the old nut that was on the high pressure power steering piping?

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Shen Long wrote:
mate did you end up cutting/grinding off the old nut that was on the high pressure power steering piping?

Yep. Fit the new one. No leaks. It's great.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]