Fordmods Logo

eb v8 sump question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: eb v8 sump question
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb xr8 falcon/1966 xr fairmont

SA, Australia

i have a eb xr 8 and well i had to remove the dizzy to replace the tfi module and the hall effect sensor the problem i have now is that the drive shaft for the oil pump came out with the dizzy and wanted to know is it possible to remove the sump with out taking the motor out, i have done this before on my 66 xr (351c) and i just raised the motor a bit, but havent done it to the eb yet.
I am hoping just by removing the engine mounts and rasig it will give me the room to slip the sump out and re fit the oil drive shaft to the pump along with the cog, any 1 done this before

Post subject: Re: eb v8 sump question
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

it can be done i have done it b4. just as you have said the motor has to be lifted up with the mounts undone

Greg

347, crane cam, Pro topline 180 heads, Edelbrock victor efi intake, 80mm C&L maf, 75mm tb, 30lb injectors and 1/4 horse

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: eb xr8 falcon/1966 xr fairmont

SA, Australia

cheers mate, i thought it had to be done like that cause what a job just to pull the motor out.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

The easiest way is to use silicon sealer to "glue" the oil pump driveshaft into the distributor shaft. Only fit it about 1/2 of the way into the distributor and don't fill the void in the distributor shaft (behind the driveshaft) with silicon. You only need a little bit of silicon, as it's only there to stop the shaft falling out during installation. Let it go off overnight, then re-fit the distributor. Once you are sure the driveshaft has engaged the oil pump, and the timing is set correctly, push on the distributor shaft to fully seat the driveshaft (this is why you mustn't fill the void space with silicon).

It also works using grease instead of silicon, but I've never been prepared to try this. It works on the vacuum theory rather than glue to retain the driveshaft against the force of gravity.

As a double check, make sure your oil light goes out normally when you re-start the engine. This has worked for me in the past and is a whole lot easier than battling with sump removal in the vehicle.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

what about the factory clip that slides over the shaft, if that was fitted it couldnt happen and fall out.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]