Fordmods Logo

EB XR8 5L EFI back to carby conversion...! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EB XR8 5L EFI back to carby conversion...!
Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 1962 XL Falcon

NSW, Australia

All Falcon fans,

I have purchased a 1962 4 door falcon which came with a 1991 EB XR8 5L. I want to convert this motor to a Carby engine before installation into the falcon, however, I don't know what manifold will suit and any other parts I need to be able to do this...!

So I guess the parts I nee to know about are;
What type of Edelbrock Manifold? (low rise)...!
What Edelbrock Carby would be suitable, (just want a cruiser, but with some grunt)?
Can I use roller rockers?
What type of distibuter?
and where is the best place to buy all this stuff as I'm from Wollongong?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated...!

Cam

Post subject: Re: EB XR8 5L EFI back to carby conversion...!
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Get decent heads and then intake manifold to suit.

It will already have roller rockers, but yes you can change them to a different ratio if that is what you mean.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

I'd suggest the Weiand Stealth intake, it's better than any Edelbrock intake. If you must run an Edelbrock then use the Performer 289. Get a 4bbl carb around 450-600 cfm. You can add roller rockers (last post was incorrect, the engine does not already have them unless they were fitted by a previous owner). Use 1.7 ratio roller rockers and you will get a small power boost from increased lift and duration. Run a Mallory distributor with a gear that is compatible with your selectively austempered ductile iron hydraulic roller camshaft.

Before the engine goes into the car, use a die grinder and carbide cutter to remove the smog bumps in the exhaust ports. Simply loosen the exhaust rockers before you start. This will close all the exhaust valves, preventing metal filings going into the cylinders. After the cutting is finished, blow the ports out with an air duster, then re-torque the rockers (or install the roller rockers you were going to fit). An hours grinding will have a noticable effect on power and the cost is zero.

Also, fit a new rear main seal to the engine. This can be done without removing the sump.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Yes sorry, brain wasn't functioning at 6.58am...I was thinking roller lifters (I know, wtf) :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

With the Roller Rockers, what stud size is in my engine, 3/8 or 7/16, please reply only if you know... thanks so much for your help though...!

Cam

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They would be pedestal mount ..
Not stud mount...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

There are 3 options to fit Roller Rockers to your E7 heads. You can fit

- Pedistal mount roller rockers. Direct bolt-on. Generally non-adjustable (adjustable are available but they are quite expensive).

- Crane Cams conversion kit. Direct bolt-on. Allows normal roller rockers to be fitted, and this means adjustability. Unfortunately Crane Cams have filed for bankruptcy and have temporarily ceased production. There is still stock available but getting harder to find.

- Conventional studs, guide plates, normal roller rockers. Heads must be removed and machined. Also requires hardened pushrods. Machining costs. This is the best system because the rocker is attached into the head with a 3/8" (or 7/16") stud rather than relying on the standard 5/16" rocker pedistal bolt hole.

For healthy street usage any of the 3 options are perfectly OK. I have used all 3 options with success, running up to 140lbs valve spring seat pressure and 380lb open pressure.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

not to be a party pooper, but I was under the impression that the RTA (C***) states that if a newer model engine is placed into an older car the engine year dictates the necessary engine pollution requirements. Could this be a problem for you?? might be worth checking out. at worse you may have to run LPG (better for BBQ's then V8's) or run the injection and carbon canister etc. that was present on the donor car.

Hopefully I am wrong though, good luck with it all.

Cheers,

Rob.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Please tell me this is not the case in regards to not being able to convert this to a carby...!

If not, could someone let me know, I called the RTA and they weren't much help as the guy couldn't answer the question as posed in the previous staement...!

Cam

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

It looks like your in luck, I just searched the rta website and found the following...

Quote:
Emission standards for replacement engines
1972 and later model vehicles with substitute engines must meet the intent of the later of the Australian Design
Rules applicable to either:
a) The original vehicle; or
b) The substitute engine.
To ensure continued compliance with emission standards, any replacement engine should come from a vehicle which
is subject to the same or more stringent emission control requirements. An alternative is for an earlier engine to be
upgraded during reconditioning to more recent engine specifications. All anti-pollution devices should be fitted and
functional.
Vehicles manufactured prior to noise and/or exhaust emissions related ADRs must meet certain minimum noise
and emission requirements if the engine modification is to such an extent as to require certification by an engineering
signatory. Engineering signatories will be able to give you more information about these requirements.

so it would seeem that because yours is pre 1972 your sweet, but as the last paragraph says there is still a bit of a gray area that is in the hands of the engineer you use, sorry to worry you over nothing but I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]